O/T: removing odor from deer skull?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

O/T: removing odor from deer skull?

Postby crazyfarmer » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:11 pm

if there anything simple anyone sprays on or uses to get the odor off of a deer skull? I mount antlers on boards for friends and nomrlaly have no issue since I remove the flesh as soon as I get it. But I was bought a few this season which sat in the heat and well the flies loved them so they definitly dont smell to hot. I thought about soaking the bottom of the base(skull) in bleach, just making sure that it doesnt get on the antlers. Anyone have something simple to try in mind?
crazyfarmer

Postby wabi » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:17 pm

Boil the skull portion for several minutes then soak in bleach. Or just hang it outside for a year or two.
wabi
wabi

Postby crazyfarmer » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:36 pm

wabi wrote:Boil the skull portion for several minutes then soak in bleach. Or just hang it outside for a year or two.

7mins seems faster :lol: :D
crazyfarmer

Postby VixChix » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:41 pm

I have no idea if it would work, but I know how to get skunk odor out of a dog's coat:

1/4 cup baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoon liquid dish detergent
1 quart Hydrogen Peroxide 3%mixing hydrogen peroxide

Don't mix until ready to use.

Might work?
"I don’t know what the key to success is, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
---
"Team DryFire"
Vixen, HHA Optimizer, Refield Revolution, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mount, Big John Custom Arrows
VixChix

Postby Partikle » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:33 am

wabi wrote:Boil the skull portion for several minutes then soak in bleach. Or just hang it outside for a year or two.

That's what I did and it worked.
00 Buck - Licensed to kill
Partikle

Postby Rich » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:50 am

CF,

Boil in Borax Laundry Detergent (breaks down flesh) and Dawn Dishwashing Soap (removes grease/oil from skull). Still gonna sting while boiling and scraping off flesh though.

Rich
Rich

Postby Cossack » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:57 pm

I use 20 Mule Team Borax powder. I cover the scull cap with borax powder (m in a plastic garbage bag) )and leave it sit for a week or two. Dries everything out, no smell.
Cossack

Postby Golden Eagle » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:02 pm

I never did a Skull Mount but I do same all my horns with the skull plate attached. I boil them for 30 minutes in an old pot the wife gave me and they turn out as clean as can be.
Golden Eagle

Preparing Bone

Postby Vladymere » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:02 pm

My brother is a biologist that is retiring from the US Army Corp of Engineering in April. This coming fall he will start a career as a high school science teacher. He has been preparing a collection of animal skulls to use as teaching aids.

He prepares the skulls by first boling in water with Adolph's meat tenderizer added to assist in breaking down the flesh. After defleshing he then soaks the bone or skulls in hydrogen peroxide to finish removing all traces of flesh and fats. The bones come out super white.

Bleach will damage the bone causing it to become brittle causing problems over time.

Vlad
Vladymere

Return to Crossbow Hunting