Sighting in the varizone scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sighting in the varizone scope

Postby Amos » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:13 pm

I know you can start by sighting in at 20 yards. But my question is where do you start with the dial on top of your scope (speed dial 200 to 350 fps)? Then once you are zeroed in, go to 40 yards. Then what?

Amos
Amos

Re: Sighting in the varizone scope

Postby petev » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:25 pm

I am no expert here, I just got my outfit from Dan Miller with the varizone scope. He had it sighted in pretty close at 20 yards. That is the start point. Then when you move back to 30, you use the triangle just below the crosshair. The idea is if your arrow spead is set right, you should be sighted in correctly. Dan had my arrow spead just about right. It was about 305 fps on a Exocet....if I remember correctly. If you are shooting a little high, then you turn up the arrow speed a little, and the opposite if shooting low. After I adjusted, I checked both 20 and 30 yards and there were sighted in correctly.

Again, I could be wrong with this....but this was the technique that I used. Dan helped me with this.
Exocet 200
Hoyt Alpha Max 35
petev

Postby vixenmaster » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:35 pm

Sight yer 20 yds with X-hair. Speed ring depends on CB you have. Example E'cet 200 with stock string & 400 gr arrows about 305 area on dial 5 gr = 1 fps
Kong Strong Fast n Deadly 405

Marie Laveau Matrix 355, 361 fps

Banshee Mission MXB320 329 fps

vixenmasters strings
Spitfire BH's & others
vixenmaster

Postby gerald strine » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:16 pm

Take a guess at your speed using the arrow selection guide in the owners manual then get it zeroed at 20 yards. now shoot a 40 / 50 yard group if you shoot hi turn the speed dial to a faster setting if you shoot low turn the speed to a slower setting until you get bulls eyes now you are Dialed in at your speed .
It is a good idea to mark the setting dial for quick reference while hunting if it get moved by accident.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Postby Cossack » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:48 am

"Speed Ring" isn't, it merely changes the magnification of the reticule thereby changing the distance between it's aimpoint. Where your arrow hit's on the aim points below the crosshair depends on it' speed. Get your crosshari to shoot zero at 20 yards, then change your scope's magnification until it hit on at 30, 40 yard settings. It may not be exact at longer distances.Assuming you're using 400 g arrows and a Phoenix, for example, I'd start with the ring set at 280 ish. Vortex, at 300.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Cossack

Postby Stash » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:37 pm

Super fast way to approximately sight your bow in, with only 2 shots:

You need a solid bench rest and a 50 yard target range.

Put a small aiming dot on your target bag/block. Adjust the scope ring so it's set at the approximate speed of your arrow. You don't have to be right on (or even close, actually), but the closer you can get, the better. Take one good, careful shot with the crosshairs right on your dot, at 20 yards.

Put the bow back exactly where it was on the bench rest with the crosshairs on the same aiming dot. Then, without moving the bow, adjust the crosshairs so they are aimed at where that one arrow impacted.

Next, move the target back to 50 yards. Put an aiming dot at the top of your bag/block, or if it's a small targetl, put the aiming dot on a stick and raise it about 2 feet above the target.

Using the same 20 yard crosshair, aim at the dot and shoot. The arrow will impact low, probably as much as 2-3 feet. Again, aim at the same dot and with the bow in the rest, without moving the bow, adjust the scope ring so the lowest chevron is right on where your arrow impacted.

Lock down the ring and you will be very close to being sighted in.

Now, keep in mind this is just a fast way of getting the bow close.

In fact, you should take the time do the same thing, but with several groups of arrows at 20 and also at 50, and adjust to the center of the groups. Then recheck your sights at 30, 40 and at various distances under 20. You'd be surprised how much off you might be on that occasional rare, but very possible, 5-yard-or-under shot. Also, downhill shots out of tree stands and such need to be checked.

And of course, do shoot your broadheads and make any adjustments as necessary before you go hunting.
Stash

Return to Crossbow Hunting