shooting from a tree stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

shooting from a tree stand

Postby jacktar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:20 pm

Although I have hunted with a vertical bow from the ground and a tree stand I'm still kinda new to the X-bow and have really only been on the ground with it. I was wondering If anyone had any input on point of aim from about 12' to 16' up, if I should expect a major difference lets say on a target that's 20 yds from the base of the tree. I know practice is the only sure way to tell but would like to know a little in advance. I'm shooting an exocet 200 2216 alum and 150gr. bolt cutters.
jacktar

Re: shooting from a tree stand

Postby bstout » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:23 am

It's best to practice from your tree stand before hunting from it.

Especially on the straight down shots. When shooting straight down (or straight up) gravity has very little effect on your arrow.

Your 5 yard pin also becomes your 50 yard pin when shooting straight up or straight down (no trajectory).

These are the extremes.

When shooting at all other angles the effects become less.

For example shooting at a deer that is 25 yards away while you're 15 feet off the ground will be almost the same as if you were standing on the ground. A deer standing directly under your stand, you will have to aim low if using a single pin sight system.

I practice every shot I can possibly get from each tree stand every year and it's always an eye opener/reminder.
bstout

Postby ninepointer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:27 am

bstout wrote:It's best to practice from your tree stand before hunting from it.

Especially on the straight down shots. When shooting straight down (or straight up) gravity has very little effect on your arrow.

Your 5 yard pin also becomes your 50 yard pin when shooting straight up or straight down (no trajectory).

These are the extremes.

When shooting at all other angles the effects become less.

For example shooting at a deer that is 25 yards away while you're 15 feet off the ground will be almost the same as if you were standing on the ground. A deer standing directly under your stand, you will have to aim low if using a single pin sight system.

I practice every shot I can possibly get from each tree stand every year and it's always an eye opener/reminder.

bstout has it right on!

Once while in a tree stand with my Exocet I foolishly towed the "aim low" line on an 8-point buck that was about 15 yards out. All I found were my arrow and white belly hairs on the ground :( :( :(
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
ninepointer

Postby wabi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:39 am

To me the most important thing to remember is that I need to mentally "visualize" the arrow's path through the deer in 3-D, and aim to put the arrow through the vital organs (lungs or heart) I want to hit.

The aiming point for a ground level broadside shot at 15 yards is much different than the aiming point for a quartering away shot at 5 yards from 15 feet elevation in a stand! - Aim at the ground level broadside "target" on the deer's side for the elevated 5 yard quartering shot and chances are you will only clip one lung!

I don't worry too much about the arrows trajectory making it hit high/low due to the elevation. It will make a slight change in POI, but not enough to loose a deer if I was aiming at the correct spot.

I might add, I use only one aiming point in my scope (the crosshair) when deer hunting. I sight in dead-on at 25 yards with my Phoenix and use the crosshair for any deer from 0-30 yards. Close shots will hit a couple inches (at the peak of the flight trajectory about 2½" high) up close and a couple inches low at 30 yards, but if I held "center of the lungs" and made a good shot it is a quickly deceased deer!
wabi
wabi

Postby groundpounder » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:43 pm

When shooting from a stand or anywhere for that matter make very sure your string and limbs are free from any kind of obstruction!
Why ride when you can walk!
groundpounder

Postby MR. GADGET » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:13 pm

The biggest thing is like others are saying, it takes room, spend some time in the stand with the crossbow.
As for aim, mine is about the same as on the ground.
I'm only 12-18' up a tree and set my area that I always will be shooting in the 20-30 yard range.

I carried the block to the stand one day and practiced a few time to see and that made me feel a lot better.
MR. GADGET

Postby phil » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:11 pm

I do the same thing Wabi does.... only zero it in @ 20yds. Works out very well and in the heat of the moment you dont have to worry or think about what cross hair to use!..works from 0 to 30 yds out.
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
phil

Postby M&M » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:13 pm

I have the same crossbow as you and I have sighted my bow in on the ground at measured distances of 10 20 30 40 50 yds and then I got on the roof of my house and shot at those distances again but measured from the side of the house which would be the same as from the base of your tree and I have no difference in point of impact, but you need to know the distances you would take shots at in your stand from the base of the tree I allways put out some yardage markers when I put up a stand or am out checking out stands and clearing shooting lanes
M&M
M&M

Return to Crossbow Hunting