C2 Crank Recall

Primary Announcement:

At Excalibur, the safety of our customers is our top priority. We would like to inform you that, in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, we are issuing a voluntary recall of all C2 Cranks (model number 2199) distributed in commerce in the United States. The affected products were manufactured, imported, distributed, and sold by Excalibur between 2008 and 2021. 

Nature of the Alleged Hazard:

The recall has been initiated due to a safety hazard associated with the C2 Crank. The plastic cocking hooks attached to the string of the C2 Crank can break during use. This breakage can cause flying plastic projectiles, posing impact injury and laceration hazards to consumers. Excalibur has received reports of incidents involving the C2 Crank.

• Click here for the full Health Canada document.
  • Click here for the full CPSC document.
C2 Crank Cocking Aid

Subject Products Description

Product Name: C2 Crank
Model Number: 2199
Distribution Period: 2008 to 2021
Quantity Distributed: Approximately 15,021 units

How-To:

Replace Rope and Hooks

Step 1: Cut and remove old crank rope.
Step 2: Feed the new rope through one side of the spool.
Step 3: Feed the rope through the new hooks.
Step 4: Feed the rope through the opposite spool and tie knot.
Step 5: Engage the catch and turn the crank handle to wind the rope onto the spools .

To Download a PDF of Written Instructions

Click Here

Current Remediation:

Important Note: If you own a C2 Crank, please follow the procedure outlined below:

1. Contact Excalibur Crossbow customer service at 888-689-1289 or email [email protected].
  2. Email a photo of your C2 Crank, showcasing the crank body and hooks.
  3. Upon identification that your crank is subject to the recall, the following options are available:

Option 1: 

• Email a photo of your C2 Crank with the rope cut to confirm its inoperability and dispose of the destroyed rope and hooks. 
  • Provide your contact information and shipping address. 
  • Receive the free updated hooks and rope for self-replacement, accompanied by written instructions and a video link demonstrating the replacement procedure. 

Option 2: 

• Provide your contact and shipping information.
  • Receive an email with a free return shipping label covering shipping expenses. 
  • Ship your C2 Crank to the provided address. 
  • Receive an email notification upon receipt of your crank. 
  • Receive an email notification with a tracking number when the repaired C2 Crank is shipped back to you free of charge. 

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. Why is the firm conducting this recall?
A. The C2 Crank’s cocking hooks can break during use, causing flying plastic hook projectiles, posing impact injury and laceration hazards to the user and bystanders. We are conducting this recall to keep our customers safe and prevent injuries by removing the products.

Q. How can I tell if my C2 Crank is affected by the recall?
A. The recall only applies to the Excalibur Crossbow, C2 – Crank Cocking Aid – Detachable (the “C2 Crank”) sold between 2008 and 2021. Look on the label on the bottom of the product for model (MFG) part number 2199 and the UPC number 6 26192 02199 1.

Q. How can I take advantage of the recall?
A. Call our toll-free number at 888-689-1289, ext. 2022 or email [email protected] to participate in the recall. Once you’ve cut the rope of the C2 Crank, removed the hooks, and provided photographic confirmation of destruction, we will send you replacement hooks, replacement rope, and instructions for changing the rope and hooks on the C2 Crank all free of charge. After providing photographic confirmation of destruction, please dispose of the destroyed rope and hooks.

Q. What is the problem with my C2 Crank?
A. The C2 Crank’s cocking hooks can break during use, causing flying plastic hook projectiles, posing impact injury and laceration hazards to the user and bystanders.

Q. My C2 Crank appears to be operating okay. Can I continue to use it?
A. No. We are asking all customers to immediately stop using the product and participate in the recall by contacting us to receive instructions for receiving free replacement rope and hooks.

Q. I no longer have the receipt for the product. Can I still receive the replacement hooks and rope?
A. Yes. We will still provide you with free replacement hooks and rope without a receipt after you’ve cut the rope of the C2 Crank, removed the hooks, and provided photographic confirmation of destruction.

Q. How long will it take for me to receive the replacement?
A. Please allow 3-4 weeks from the date you contacted us. We apologize for any inconvenience and assure you we are working as quickly as possible to replace the rope and hooks for your C2 Crank.

Q. Can I repair the product myself?
A. Yes. Once you receive free replacement hooks, rope, written instructions, and a link to a video, you can repair the unit yourself. Please contact us for instructions on how to receive the free replacement parts.

Q. Can I exchange the C2 Crank with a Charger Lite?
A. No, the recall provides free replacement hooks and rope for the C2 Crank.

Q. I’m not comfortable changing out the hooks and rope, what do I do?
A. We will provide you with a free shipping label to return the product for repair. We will provide this via email.

Contact us:

Excalibur takes this matter seriously and is committed to rectifying the situation promptly. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your understanding in prioritizing safety. Your cooperation is crucial in ensuring the well-being of all our customers. Consumers who need assistance with this should contact Excalibur via email at [email protected] or phone at 888-689-1289 ext. 2202.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.