Hard Case for Excalibur 405

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hard Case for Excalibur 405

Postby Parwannab » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:57 am

Do you guys have any suggestions for a hard case that the Excalibur 405 would fit in. I'm going to FL in a couple of weeks and have a cousin that offered me a chance to hog hunt. I will be flying so it has to go on the plane. Thanks for your help.
Parwannab

Re: Hard Case for Excalibur 405

Postby ThunderXB » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:43 am

What I see many guys do it take the front end off and then use an appropriate sized gun case or suit case to transport the two pieces on the place.

A couple bolts reinstalled and you're ready to go.

This link from a past Excal forum contains both a discussion on this AND a couple pictures:

http://excaliburcrossbow.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31140
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
380 Blackout, XB75, DM String, Dr S, TT, ti64
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
Zombie Slayers
Spitfire 100s
ThunderXB

Postby SEW » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:09 pm

I agree with Thunder for trips such as you described. Quick detach scope rings are also a consideration. For going a short distance for a local hunt, a Plano case is often more practical.
SEW

Postby Parwannab » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks guys. You are right on. If you are flying Southwest here are there bag restrictions just in case someone else is interested. I also listed the case I am ordering.

Weight and Size Allowance
Southwest will accept the first two checked bags for free provided that the bags do not exceed 50 lbs and 62 inches (L+W+H). Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs. Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

3i-4217 Double Rifle case by SKB looks to be the best I have found. too bad my Savage Predatot 223 want fit I there for a little coyote hunting. 62.5 in H+W+D but hoping they will let he .5 slide.
Parwannab

Postby Parwannab » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:38 am

Parwannab wrote:
3i-4217 Double Rifle case by SKB looks to be the best I have found. too bad my Savage Predatot 223 want fit I there for a little coyote hunting. 62.5 in H+W+D but hoping they will let he .5 slide.

I was looking at the inside dimensions some people on the internet (has to be true) say they will let a rifle case slide.

Anyone know of a double rifle case or bow case that is under the 62" requirement but still works. I just want to avoid the extra $150. ($75 each way).

Thanks!
Parwannab

Postby Normous » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:22 pm

When I flew to another province recently for a hog hunt I removed the riser/limb assembly and separately wrapped the scoped/stocked mainframe and riser/limb in all my hunting clothing then placed the cinched bundle in the middle my Patagonia Wheeled Duffel bag (120 L) with all my other gear around it. To add, I removed the stirrup too.

Everything needed for a 5-6 day hunt was stored safely inside my wheeled duffel thus eliminating the need for a hard case of any kind.

When I checked it I informed the X-Ray attendant that I was carrying a disassembled archery crossbow in my duffel to avoid any confusion or potential problem.

I would do the same again if flying with my crossbow I might add.
EXCALFFLICTION Since 1991 ->>------------> 2017
Matrix Blackout 405 & 355 for Her
Kustom Krug Micro 355
Leupold VX-R 2-7 Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Normous

Postby Patcon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Normous,
So you took it carry on? With broadheads?

Edit: I see you checked it...that sounds more like it...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Patcon

Postby Normous » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Patcon wrote:Normous,
So you took it carry on? With broadheads?

Edit: I see you checked it...that sounds more like it...

Correct, all sharp objects were carried in my checked luggage. Not even a mini file or a cigar cutter gets past "hawk eyes" in your carry on luggage
EXCALFFLICTION Since 1991 ->>------------> 2017
Matrix Blackout 405 & 355 for Her
Kustom Krug Micro 355
Leupold VX-R 2-7 Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Normous

Return to Crossbow Hunting