Favorite Scope to go on an HHA?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Favorite Scope to go on an HHA?

Post by amythntr » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:48 am

....what is you favorite (or favourite; for those who know not how to spell :lol: :lol: )scope to adorn your HHA?

Anthony :)
When you are in a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

M380(Jelly Belly)
NMare 335(Bada Bing)
Scorpyd Death Stalker (Oofah!)
ZS,Exec
Spitfires
xbones
VX-R
TT 2.5
BOO,NChunterkw,Vixenm
DrStirrup kit

SEW

Re: Favorite Scope to go on an HHA?

Post by SEW » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:53 am

I use a Zeiss Duralyt lighted 2-8 on my M405 and BD400. I got them at very low cost otherwise they would have been too expensive and the diminishing returns too great. They are a bit big and heavy - not ideal xbow scopes.
Due to the light weight of these scopes and excellent optics, I'd go with the nicest Leupold or Swarovski I could afford in a size I'd want. The VXR seems to be a really nice balance of size, weight, optical quality and cost. I'd want a 3-9 on my M380/405 and 2-7 on my BD400.

SEW

Post by SEW » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:59 am

amythntr wrote:....what is you favorite (or favourite; for those who know not how to spell :lol: :lol: )scope to adorn your HHA?

Anthony :)
Anthony, it's amazing to me that we Americans, actually United States citizens, had to clean up the "English " language. I lived in England 4 years, went to college at Oxford Polytechnic College (not to be confused with Oxford University :D ), and had to write my papers in "proper" English, not "American".

bellerivercrossbowhunter

Post by bellerivercrossbowhunter » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:11 am

Leupold VXR there is no substitute..
Scorpyd death stalkerr (aka; devil bow), Black Bulldog 350, BOO custom string, Spynal Tapp Arrows, Grim reaper broadheads ,Hawke optics.

I live to hunt and hunt to live. I am a meat eater!!!

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:15 am

I've had the Luepolds on mine Anthony and they work great. I'm a huge fan of the ballistic firedot reticle. I'm currently running the Vortex Viper XB-R as my personal favorite. I can do the 100yards using the MOA but like the option of dialing in and using my 10X magnification. I also bought an HHA with the Hawke scope they come with which I'll be picking up at Boofest. I'm confident it will not be of the same as the high end sscopes but I hear it's decent.

Paul

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:42 am

Anthony l can sell you a great scope off of a crossman 760. Maby l can let it go for about 250.oo or so .lolololll
Micro 335 camo crossbones /matrix 330 workhorse nikon bolt /vixen ll / striker offspring with a micro stock crossbones/ matrix 355 with a micro stock crossbones/ metal ibex (adopted manco morto)/ trigger tec's on most / spitfires/easton2216s/zombies

flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:38 pm

paulaboutform wrote:I've had the Luepolds on mine Anthony and they work great. I'm a huge fan of the ballistic firedot reticle. I'm currently running the Vortex Viper XB-R as my personal favorite. I can do the 100yards using the MOA but like the option of dialing in and using my 10X magnification. I also bought an HHA with the Hawke scope they come with which I'll be picking up at Boofest. I'm confident it will not be of the same as the high end sscopes but I hear it's decent.

Paul
At 100 yrds., magnification is not a bad thing. SEW is an ol' benchrest shooter, and unless he shot in Hunter class, he shot MUCH more magnification on his bench guns. Target clarification is your friend!

I have paulaboutform's Hawke XB30 Pro scope here. He was gracious enough to offer it for Colton to try on his bow, to set up for Boofest 100. Colton's Micro shoots a 400+gr. arrow about 305 fps ( not a "fast" Micro). At that I am thinking the magnification will be in the 2 1/2-3x range. This is some less than ideal I believe. However his eyes are better than mine, he is not used to shooting with much higher magnification scope offhand, so the choice is go with lower power on scope and keep his confidence up ( because it will look like he is much more steady), or go with a higher power magnification, so that he can have better target identification, and hope he can deal with the shaky sight picture. Heck, we may take one of each! My other thought is to take one scope for general shooting and one set up specific to the Boofest 100. With quality mounts, they will change out and be pretty close. Enough that a little fine tune would be all that's required. Still debating, will see how this all works out.

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:15 pm

flightattendant100 wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:I've had the Luepolds on mine Anthony and they work great. I'm a huge fan of the ballistic firedot reticle. I'm currently running the Vortex Viper XB-R as my personal favorite. I can do the 100yards using the MOA but like the option of dialing in and using my 10X magnification. I also bought an HHA with the Hawke scope they come with which I'll be picking up at Boofest. I'm confident it will not be of the same as the high end sscopes but I hear it's decent.

Paul
At 100 yrds., magnification is not a bad thing. SEW is an ol' benchrest shooter, and unless he shot in Hunter class, he shot MUCH more magnification on his bench guns. Target clarification is your friend!

I have paulaboutform's Hawke XB30 Pro scope here. He was gracious enough to offer it for Colton to try on his bow, to set up for Boofest 100. Colton's Micro shoots a 400+gr. arrow about 305 fps ( not a "fast" Micro). At that I am thinking the magnification will be in the 2 1/2-3x range. This is some less than ideal I believe. However his eyes are better than mine, he is not used to shooting with much higher magnification scope offhand, so the choice is go with lower power on scope and keep his confidence up ( because it will look like he is much more steady), or go with a higher power magnification, so that he can have better target identification, and hope he can deal with the shaky sight picture. Heck, we may take one of each! My other thought is to take one scope for general shooting and one set up specific to the Boofest 100. With quality mounts, they will change out and be pretty close. Enough that a little fine tune would be all that's required. Still debating, will see how this all works out.
Ummm, I was actually referring to a different Hawke scope that I bought with the HHA in an auction for Annissa......but you're also welcome to set up the HHA with whichever scope you like. It's also being brought to Boofest. :mrgreen:
*EDIT TO ADD*: ....and when I was competing I did shoot Hunter Class at all the sanctioned shoots. :wink:

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:27 pm

My 2 fastest bows both have HAAs and Vortex XBRs.

If a fast shot presents, I have worked out the MOA and can use those, if I have time, I can dial up, so I think they work great.
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
380 Blackout, XB75, DM String, Dr S, TT, ti64
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64

racking up points

Post by racking up points » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:09 am

Got mine from Paulaboutform, it's a 3-9x40mm VXR with a duplex reticle, I love it.

Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:18 pm

racking up points wrote:Got mine from Paulaboutform, it's a 3-9x40mm VXR with a duplex reticle, I love it.

Dang that looks great buddy! :mrgreen:

Paul

ThackMan

Post by ThackMan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:42 am

One question for all of those using the HHA... Would I still be able to use my Munch Mount as it is with a HHA, or would I have to raise my Munch Mount?
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr Broadheads

amythntr

Post by amythntr » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:46 am

ThackMan wrote:One question for all of those using the HHA... Would I still be able to use my Munch Mount as it is with a HHA, or would I have to raise my Munch Mount?
.....never thought about that CHris.....good question!

Anthony
When you are in a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

M380(Jelly Belly)
NMare 335(Bada Bing)
Scorpyd Death Stalker (Oofah!)
ZS,Exec
Spitfires
xbones
VX-R
TT 2.5
BOO,NChunterkw,Vixenm
DrStirrup kit