O/T The new dock is done

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

O/T The new dock is done

Postby Species8472 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:32 pm

We bought this place just before Christmas last year and after the snow and ice melted off we discovered the dock had some serious ice damage. So this year the major project has been replacing most of the dock and repairing whatever could be salvaged.

Essentially the only things that were saved was a portion of the decking from the shoreline deck area and some of the old crib timbers. We removed the two existing support cribs and replaced them with four new larger cribs and filled with 5 tons of rock each (20 tons of rock total). Additionally we connected all the cribs so they act as one unit and anchored them to the bedrock using red-head rock anchors. Fairly certain this should hold up for a good number of years as the old system lasted 17 years according to my nearest neighbour. The deck is 16x16 and the dock itself is 24 feet by 8 feet on floating PE pontoons. It is connected to the shore deck by a hinged floating (PE pontoons) 8 foot wide by 12 foot long ramp. The end of the dock is about 44 feet from shore in about 6 feet of water. Floating sections are anchored to 4 x 350 lb concrete anchors.

About 3/4s of the way out looking back at shore:

From the view above I own 1000 feet of shore to the right and 2200 feet to left. Property size is 117 acres and backs onto 10,000+ acres of crown on 2 sides.

View of the dock from shore:

View of some of the ice damage discovered this spring:

The old design only had two cribs instead of four and a portion of the deck was cantilevered over the water. Once the snow and ice melted we could see that the design was not ideal as the 2 cribs were not connected and were not anchored to the bedrock.

Now I just have to wait until next year as new boat(s) are not in this years budget. So for this season the only thing that will be tied up are canoes and a kayak.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Species8472

Re: O/T The new dock is done

Postby mr meat » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:39 pm

Ya did a great job!
vixen 11
exoct 175 with Aging custom stock #27
exocet 200
matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
mr meat

Postby xcaliber » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:20 pm

Heck Yeah you did! Very, very nice job indeed.
Matrix 355 (Trixxi) Redfield Revenge 2.5 Trigger Tech
Matrix 330 (Xylia) Nikon Bolt XR Single Stage Trigger Tech
Kodabow Zulu Scout (Karma) MFO Tagged Out Sights.
Hoyt Spyder 34 (Black Magic)
xcaliber

Postby paulaboutform » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Looks great! Job well done indeed. :D

Paul
paulaboutform

Postby Fazan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Where abouts is your cottage?
Fazan

Postby Species8472 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Fazan wrote:Where abouts is your cottage?

WMU 47 about 7 or 8 miles from Restoule just south of the French River
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Species8472

Postby bellerivercrossbowhunter » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Looks great. I have a fully loaded 16.5' aluminum boat and willing to travel... :)
Micro Black Widow. BOO string.Vortex XBR. Exodus broad heads. Spynal Tapp arrows....

I live to hunt and hunt to live. I am a meat eater!!!
bellerivercrossbowhunter

Postby Fazan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:28 pm

I am just south of you (WMU 49, Dunchurch). Just fixed my dock ramp the ice broke last winter.

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Looks great. I have a fully loaded 16.5' aluminum boat and willing to travel... :)

Come to my place. Need volunteers to fix my foundation. :D
Fazan

Return to Crossbow Hunting