Gotta ask. lol

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

BrotherRon

Gotta ask. lol

Post by BrotherRon » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:27 pm

I have been using 110 grain inserts since I first bought my Matrix 310. These arrows weigh right around 400 grain and I use them for both the 310 and 330.
This set-up is very accurate for me so I should probably leave well enough alone, but... what would be the advantages and disadvantages of going with 92 grain inserts instead of 110 ?

Thanks.
Ron.
Matrix 310/330 Snuffy II~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~TT~Tombstone Case.
36" All Weather Tactical Case. Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver
Strings by Boo ~ 8ptbuk..
http://www.freewebs.com/kingdomushers/
Matthew 25:50 & 51

xcaliber

Re: Gotta ask. lol

Post by xcaliber » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:55 pm

You would gain a little speed, but probably not much change in POI inside 40 yards. I would stay with the heavier bolts for two reasons, easier on your limbs, and harder hitting on the game you hunt.
Matrix 355 (Trixxi) Redfield Revenge 2.5 Trigger Tech
Matrix 330 (Xylia) Nikon Bolt XR Single Stage Trigger Tech
Kodabow Zulu Scout (Karma) MFO Tagged Out Sights.
Hoyt Spyder 34 (Black Magic)

GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:20 am

xcaliber wrote:You would gain a little speed, but probably not much change in POI inside 40 yards. I would stay with the heavier bolts for two reasons, easier on your limbs, and harder hitting on the game you hunt.

I agree with this. The difference in grain weight between the two inserts will probably only net you 5-6 fps more speed. Nothing really beneficial in a hunting environment, however the extra weight in your arrows is a win for all the reasons stated above...
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech, 16 3/16" Zombies, Blazers with Lumenoks, and Ramcats.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR, 20" Zombies, Blazers with Lumenoks, and Ramcats.

Boo

Post by Boo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:29 am

The gain is about 5 ft/sec and a slightly flatter trajectory because of the lower mass and FOC. 92 gr inserts are the most common choice for 18" shafts.
In theory, higher FOC tend to yeid better accuracy, better flight in windy condtions and more straight line penetration but it causes the arrow to nose dive more.
Heavier arrows are certainly more kind to your bow because any energy not spent in the arrow is left for the bow to deal with. We see that in thw bow as more noise, shock and vibration.
I have to disagree with Dan, since broadhead cut, an arrow can't hit harder but heavier and high FOC set ups do penetrate deeper and are less prone to deflection while traveling through your animal. On the other hand killing a deer doesn't require much.
If there are no dogs in heaven then I want to go where they went. Will Rogers
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Correct a fool and he'll hate you, Correct a wise man he'll thank you!
Madness is having a Malinois
Boocustomstrings.com

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:49 am

Im going thru this delema now with my little vixen 2 im shooting 84 grain inserts with a 125 head and went to a 100 grain head im considering going to a 110 insert to make up the 25 grain loss. As the guys and boo said said its not a huge issue either way. l have noticed the bow seems a tad quieter with the slightly heavier bolt. You figure excalibur recommends a 150 grain boltcutter or point then a 30 grain insert as long as your on that page your in the right area. My vixens so slow im being more anal with it than the others. Even though its slow l have been successfully using small expandables im thinking l need a little more weight up front for penitration as l had before. I wont shoot much past 30 yards anyway.l used to shoot a 200 grain snuffer with my longbow at 180 fps so all these crossbows seem fast to me .lol
Micro 335 camo crossbones /matrix 330 workhorse nikon bolt /vixen ll / striker offspring with a micro stock crossbones/ matrix 355 with a micro stock crossbones/ metal ibex (adopted manco morto)/ trigger tec's on most / spitfires/easton2216s/zombies

8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Boo wrote:The gain is about 5 ft/sec and a slightly flatter trajectory because of the lower mass and FOC. 92 gr inserts are the most common choice for 18" shafts.
In theory, higher FOC tend to yeid better accuracy, better flight in windy condtions and more straight line penetration but it causes the arrow to nose dive more.
Heavier arrows are certainly more kind to your bow because any energy not spent in the arrow is left for the bow to deal with. We see that in thw bow as more noise, shock and vibration.
I have to disagree with Dan, since broadhead cut, an arrow can't hit harder but heavier and high FOC set ups do penetrate deeper and are less prone to deflection while traveling through your animal. On the other hand killing a deer doesn't require much.
Don, Have you found that 5 fps to be linear ?
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
8ptcustomstrings@gmail.com

xcaliber

Post by xcaliber » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Boo wrote:The gain is about 5 ft/sec and a slightly flatter trajectory because of the lower mass and FOC. 92 gr inserts are the most common choice for 18" shafts.
I dropped a sledgehammer on my foot several years ago wearing tennis shoes, it hit harder, and heavier at the same time. :lol: :lol:
Matrix 355 (Trixxi) Redfield Revenge 2.5 Trigger Tech
Matrix 330 (Xylia) Nikon Bolt XR Single Stage Trigger Tech
Kodabow Zulu Scout (Karma) MFO Tagged Out Sights.
Hoyt Spyder 34 (Black Magic)

Boo

Post by Boo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:01 pm

8ptbuk wrote: Don, Have you found that 5 fps to be linear ?
Not a clue. The value was given to me by Randy Kitts, the president of BEAs.
Boocustomstrings.com

wabi

Post by wabi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:59 pm

This set-up is very accurate for me so I should probably leave well enough alone, but...
I often have to tell myself, "If it isn't broke - don't fix it!" :lol:
wabi

Boo

Post by Boo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:22 pm

wabi wrote:
This set-up is very accurate for me so I should probably leave well enough alone, but...
I often have to tell myself, "If it isn't broke - don't fix it!" :lol:
That statement kinda reminds me of a kid touching an electric fence or buying a Deathstalker. :mrgreen:
Boocustomstrings.com

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Im gonna make a post about the electric fence.
Micro 335 camo crossbones /matrix 330 workhorse nikon bolt /vixen ll / striker offspring with a micro stock crossbones/ matrix 355 with a micro stock crossbones/ metal ibex (adopted manco morto)/ trigger tec's on most / spitfires/easton2216s/zombies

flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Guys, no offense, but I don't think you or the deer can tell the difference in 110gr. And 92 gr. Under field conditions. :oops:

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Totally agree FA but this is what we ....or l do on the forum when its not hunting season and its too hot to fish! Its kinda sad really

BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:33 pm

longbow joe wrote:Totally agree FA but this is what we ....or l do on the forum when its not hunting season and its too hot to fish! Its kinda sad really
And as hunting season gets closer we see a lot more. :lol:
Matrix 310/330 Snuffy II~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~TT~Tombstone Case.
36" All Weather Tactical Case. Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver
Strings by Boo ~ 8ptbuk..
http://www.freewebs.com/kingdomushers/
Matthew 25:50 & 51