going out on my first crossbow deer hunt question

This area is for other topics not associated with crossbows or crossbow hunting.
axiluc

going out on my first crossbow deer hunt question

Post by axiluc » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:37 pm

As i only have shot deer with a riffle before , im wondering how far does the average deer go after a good double lung crossbow hit, :?: i have never had to track a deer so far but watched alot of video's on youtube and not many deer shot with xbows or bows go down on the spot...any advice or info i could use thanks in advance :) :)

Hot Pepper Dude

Re: going out on my first crossbow deer hunt question

Post by Hot Pepper Dude » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:15 pm

Wow, that's a loaded question for sure. A clean double lung shot deer with archery equipment will react many different ways. From my experience, the deer will run every time, to a point where they feel comfortable to stop and analyze what just took place, then go further or just lay down and expire within a short distance. If you are hunting fully forested areas, that usually happens within eyesight of the stand/blind. In open areas such as a food plot or agricultural field, the deer may run all the way to the nearest or furthest edge to go in and find cover. That can easily be 100 yards or more.

There is never a clear cut answer to your question, and that is part of what makes archery hunting so much fun to experience. No dull moments for sure!

Thank you for taking up archery hunting. You will experience a very different feeling upon taking your first deer, moose, bear, or other with the close up and personal technique that archery provides.

Best wishes for your hunt,
Regards, Erik.

axiluc

Re: going out on my first crossbow deer hunt question

Post by axiluc » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Erik Rasmussen wrote:Wow, that's a loaded question for sure. A clean double lung shot deer with archery equipment will react many different ways. From my experience, the deer will run every time, to a point where they feel comfortable to stop and analyze what just took place, then go further or just lay down and expire within a short distance. If you are hunting fully forested areas, that usually happens within eyesight of the stand/blind. In open areas such as a food plot or agricultural field, the deer may run all the way to the nearest or furthest edge to go in and find cover. That can easily be 100 yards or more.

There is never a clear cut answer to your question, and that is part of what makes archery hunting so much fun to experience. No dull moments for sure!

Thank you for taking up archery hunting. You will experience a very different feeling upon taking your first deer, moose, bear, or other with the close up and personal technique that archery provides.

Best wishes for your hunt,
Regards, Erik.
ya thats what i figured well i am hunting in an all wooded area, i was hoping to get a bear first with my xbow but didnt get a chance, so now its deer season so will see how it works out , thanks for your reply, and good luck in your futur hunts :) :)