Rail Lube!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rail Lube!

Postby perrysbirds » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering how often you should apply rail lube?
I have had my exomax for a couple of hunting seasons and has never applied rail lube :?
How do you apply it also?
I have the excalibur dvd but have not watched it yet! :roll:
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
perrysbirds

Postby sumner4991 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:59 pm

I never apply wax to the rail, just the serving every 25 shots. I will upon occasion clean the rail with silicone spray.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Postby Cat power » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:08 pm

I just recently purchased an Ibex from Dan Miller and asked the same question. His response was to not put anything on the rail or the string.
Cat power

Postby ComfyBear » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:18 pm

If you insist on using rail lube you can use the "pricey" Tenpoint lube, or you can save a whole lot of money by buying and using a can Jig-a-loo spray, which Home Depot sells.
ComfyBear
Matrix 405 Mega, Exomax, Exomag, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Custom Strings
G5 Montec, SlickTrick Magnum

Every Season has its reason, and every reason has its Season.
ComfyBear

Postby sumner4991 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:13 pm

Cat power wrote: His response was to not put anything on the rail or the string.

You will need to wax the serving, otherwise you cut the life of the serving in half.

It's nice not to put anything on the string or rail because it stays clean. However, the serving will take some punishment.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Postby wabi » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:37 pm

sumner4991 wrote:
Cat power wrote: His response was to not put anything on the rail or the string.

You will need to wax the serving, otherwise you cut the life of the serving in half.

It's nice not to put anything on the string or rail because it stays clean. However, the serving will take some punishment.

There seems to be some difference of opinion on whether or not wax helps or hurts on the serving. (I don't have an opinion, but I wax my serving)
I think, perhaps, the "crossbow serving" sold by Brownell & BCY which is "resin coated" will do OK without waxing. It is such a large diameter and so round that excess wax can get to the string fibers beneath and cause the serving to slip & seperate at the coils (wraps) where the claws grab it. I have had this problem with my homemade strings before I started pre-stretching them. The combination of the string material beneath the serving stretching and the wax seeping in to give the serving even less "grip" is my best guess as to what caused the problem.
With custom pre-stretched (before serving is applied) strings using other serving materials I think waxing is most likely a benefit to serving life. (I wax the heck out of the serving on my Boo string(s) and they last for a while. The one I put on today for the upcoming deer season is starting it's third year of hunting and still look great, and I waxed the serving before I shot today.)
wabi
wabi

Postby sumner4991 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:58 pm

When I was testing servings last year, I decided to put the wax thing to the test. I did no wax, wax every 10 shots, wax every 20 shots and wax every 30 shots. No wax, the serving lasted about half as long as every 20 shots. Every 30 shots was about 10% less shots than every 20 shots. Every 10 shots was no improvement over every 20. So, I suggest every 20-25 shots.

Of course, on the lighter poundage bows, the differences would be less noticable because the servings last longer than on the Exomax I used for testing. No matter which bow or serving material you use . . .wax will improve the life of the serving. I promise it's worth the cost/effort.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Postby saxman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:08 pm

sumner4991 wrote:When I was testing servings last year, I decided to put the wax thing to the test. I did no wax, wax every 10 shots, wax every 20 shots and wax every 30 shots. No wax, the serving lasted about half as long as every 20 shots. Every 30 shots was about 10% less shots than every 20 shots. Every 10 shots was no improvement over every 20. So, I suggest every 20-25 shots.

Of course, on the lighter poundage bows, the differences would be less noticable because the servings last longer than on the Exomax I used for testing. No matter which bow or serving material you use . . .wax will improve the life of the serving. I promise it's worth the cost/effort.

20 - 25 shots is what I do.
I also wax my whole string,loops and all and work it gently into the string.
I do that about once a month.I keep mine shot in and ready to go.

I don't lube the rail at all.
I shoot blackpowder quite a bit and I keep a spray bottle of 91% Alcohol for spit patches,that's what I clean the wax off my rail with,that or WD-40
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
saxman

Postby huntone » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:26 pm

I keep a spray bottle of 91% Alcohol for spit patches,that's what I clean the wax off my rail with,that or WD-40

I do the same thing with the alcohol I use for muzzleloading.

I use just a touch of WD-40 first, than I use the alcohol. I want it clean.

The serving gets some wax every 20-25 shots.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Crazyfarmer arrows
huntone

Postby bstout » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:38 pm

I've never oiled any of my bows or arrows.

I've been doing an experiment with my Vortex and leaving the center serving the way it came from gad custom strings. I've got near 150 shots on it at this time. It's showing a small amount of fray and that's probably normal. I'm enjoying having my crossbow clean and dry.

The whole bow and not just the string.
bstout

wax

Postby dutchhunter » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:02 pm

i have been shpooting crossbows for 20 years now and only ever wax the string and i wax it realy good before i put it on the bow then i wax the string every 25 to 50 shots as needed ..i try to keep my rail clean and dry at all times .if wax builds up on the rail it can be scraped clean with a creided card .DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
dutchhunter

Re: wax

Postby saxman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 pm

dutchhunter wrote:i have been shpooting crossbows for 20 years now and only ever wax the string and i wax it realy good before i put it on the bow then i wax the string every 25 to 50 shots as needed ..i try to keep my rail clean and dry at all times .if wax builds up on the rail it can be scraped clean with a creided card .DUTCH

Good idea Dutch.
I didn't think of a credit card.
Another reason I love this forum,I learn so much.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
saxman

Return to Crossbow Hunting