Unloading your bow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GaryL

Post by GaryL »

With that xbow you ain't missing nutten :!: Play it safe & smart and shoot a bolt in the ground or target....with a field tip.... :twisted:
fletch

Post by fletch »

I unloaded may max by hand usually with gloves on, 2 hands on the string and use your thumb to trip the trigger. Can be very hard on your hands and good possibility of a slip which I did once. That was not any fun. Like I said I used the rope cocking aid method this weekend and it worked great. I had no problem holding the weight with one hand at all. I only have carbons so shooting a bolt is expensive.
[/quote]Guys, if I try to let the Exomax (225 lbs) down with the puller, that takes both hands so how do you release it? If I had a 3rd hand I could do it but am I missing something?
Put both hooks to one end and hook one on the left side , place rope over back of bow(normal position) place second hook on right side and pull up on the free end handle to take pressure off hooks (one hand). Use your other hand to take safety off and pull the trigger then slowly lower the limbs. Simple as that
Deer Dave

Post by Deer Dave »

bstout wrote:I shoot mine straight up in the air while I'm still sitting in my tree stand. I concentrate on shooting as straight up as I can so my bolt will land into the ground next to my tree and I won't have to walk far to retrieve it. :D

lololololo :lol: :lol: :lol:
striper

Post by striper »

I tried out the new decocking method using the cocking aid this weekend and it worked like a charm with my Exocet although I am crippled in one arm and almost 70 YOA. My hunting partner, overweight and out of shape, uses this method on an Exomax, and has absolutely no problem with the 225# draw. He posts on this site as Buckslayer or something like that . Just don't tell him I said he is overweight and out of shape! Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

striper wrote: Just don't tell him I said he is overweight and out of shape! Striper
.... :lol:

DON"T WORRY STRIPER, WE WONT TELL BUCK SLAYER WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT HIM BEING OVER WEIGHT AND OUT OF SHAPE!!!!..... :wink: :P :twisted: :lol:
Ontario Trophy Bucks
TNhunterKMC

Post by TNhunterKMC »

Before I tried uncocking this way - I wondered if it would be doable with even my Exocet. The way I convinced myself it would be ok was to actually connect my cocking aid as if I was going to cock my bow. I then grabbed it with one of the handles with one hand and went through the cocking motion - not fully cocking - just almost. Then I let it down. I knew that from the amount of weight I was holding at nearly full draw I would indeed be able to uncock it with the cocking aid using one hand/arm to hold the cocking aid and using the other hand to flip the safety off and pull the trigger.
Stan

Uncocking

Post by Stan »

Why can't you just buy an inexpensive shaft (alum, copper, or steel) from your hardware store (same dia. as bolts) and just fire that into the ground. Does the weight of the shaft really matter. That way if you loose the shaft who cares they would only cost a quarter or so.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I unload by hand but might try the cocking aid method next year.
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

I tried the rope cocker to uncock. IT worked great. You can hold and let down a lot more weight than you can pull - especially when you have the leverage as you do with the cocker. If you can cock the bow with two hands I don't think you will have any problem letting it down with one. The trouble I had with shooting a bolt into the ground was the bolt skipping - really hard to find when its dark. :D
Hunter Dan

Re: Unloading your bow

Post by Hunter Dan »

Harry Crabtree wrote:Guys, if I try to let the Exomax (225 lbs) down with the puller, that takes both hands so how do you release it? If I had a 3rd hand I could do it but am I missing something? I just don't see how to let it down without damaging the bow and flip off the catch at the same time. What am I missing?

hey bud...watch the video called cocking aid, it shows you how to cock and uncock it :wink:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/video.html
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I cock my bow with the rope aid to make sure it is centered, but I uncock it by hand.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Hi, I have tried unload my Exocet -175# using my cocking aid. it works ok.
Now I do it by hand it's a nack but I also can cock it by hand. It takes abit
getting use to. Iwanted to be able to do it just incase I forget or lose my cocking aid.
With it unloaded I put a wight mark on the stiring on each side of the deck
with liquidpaper so I can tell if it's cocked evenly, even with the cocking
aid it can be of to one side.
Shooting a bolt straight up seems funny to me, eventually it would get me.
When I leave it's to dark to be looking for bolt.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Hi, I have tried unload my Exocet -175# using my cocking aid. it works ok.
Now I do it by hand it's a nack but I also can cock it by hand. It takes abit
getting use to. Iwanted to be able to do it just incase I forget or lose my cocking aid.
With it unloaded I put a wight mark on the stiring on each side of the deck
with liquidpaper so I can tell if it's cocked evenly, even with the cocking
aid it can be of to one side.
Shooting a bolt straight up seems funny to me, eventually it would get me.
When I leave it's to dark to be looking for bolt.
claude

Post by claude »

I can give you a few pointers on what not to do there was a guy here
in sept that borrowed a x-bow and tried to unload it witha bolt in it
appearently his hand slipped the broadhead severed his big toe and
was stopped by the steel shank of his boot. judging by the fact that
the bolt didn't go right through the boot and into the ground he must
of had a partial hold on the string