How to Make your own bolts from compound arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Andy

How to Make your own bolts from compound arrows

Post by Andy »

What do you think?
I have alot of Aluminum arrows for my compound, and I just bought a exocet 200 with six bolts,already broke 2. Is it possible to make your own bolts out of the compound arrows. I have all the supplies and tools but one thing gets me, the rear flat aluminum nock! I can't find them enywere, any advise? another thing I have broken carbon arrows that are the perfect length for bolts but again that rear nock.
Let me know what you think!
Digger

Post by Digger »

Welcome to the forum Andy. The rear nock can be replaced with an insert that fits the front of the shaft. Both are the same size.
Just make sure the shaft isn't split or delaminated when it was broken.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Andy

Post by Andy »

I'm kind of new at this! What do you mean by a insert and were can I purchase it?
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

I did this with all of my arrows when I switched from compound to crossbow, simply use the same type of insert that you use in front to screw your broadhead/field point into. Any sporting goods store that sells archery equipment should have what you need.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
Andy

Post by Andy »

Great I'll try that,
I just thought you would need a flat piece like the store bought bolts!
the inserts are of course hollow.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Hey Andy,

I come from the days full length arrows followed by the days of overdraws and 26" arrows.
With the advent of ACC's, long gone are the need to shoot aluminums.

So, i turned those arrows into 20" bolts for my Exocet.

The nice thing about arrows is the wide variety of bolt weights that can be accomplished.

Ever hear of a 970" gr. bolt.

I'm itching to try it out of my Exocet
Andy

Post by Andy »

Ever hear of a 970" gr. bolt
No I haven't is that the total weight of your bolt?

Vince, what did you do for your nock, did you also just use a insert, and do you think it would efect the flight of the bolt?
BOB VANDRISH

BOLTS FROM COMPOUND ARROWS

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Fellas,what you have to remember is that ALL your finished bolts should all be close to the same weight,regardless of how you get there,whether they are made from compound arrows,or bought as 20" bolts designed for the Exocet.
Do you know the shaft size,and/or number,in order to know what to buy in matching inserts?
The number you have quoted ,970" gr,is not a number that means anything that I am familiar with.
If you look at the charts,there is a minimum weight that you want to use,somewhere around 350 grains,and if you want a slower travelling bolt,with greater penetration,you can go up into the 400-450 grain range.
All bolts that you make up at one weight would have a different flight path than others made up at another weight.
If you do not follow that type of guideline,you will end up talking to yourself on the target range about the inconsistency of the flight of the bolts,or arrows.
You need to walk before you can run with this info!
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Bob,

Do you think if I cut all these aluminum arrows to bolts, and there all the same make and model. that I should get the same flight path.

I'm sure you know were i'm getting! carbon arrows are expensive and by the time you sight in your crossbow. you have to go buy another dozen. I'm already getting discouraged
bj

Post by bj »

Andy wrote:Bob,

I'm sure you know were i'm getting! carbon arrows are expensive and by the time you sight in your crossbow. you have to go buy another dozen. I'm already getting discouraged
just curious, but what the heck are you using for a target...done properly, you should be able to sight your excal. at 10-50 yards with about 6 shots...usually less... :?: what do you have for optics on the bow ???...keep this in mind also: if you're missing the mark with the bow, carbon bolts are a whole lot cheaper in the long run and they really are not that much more per bolt to begin with... 8)

Wayne........
Andy

Post by Andy »

I really had a hard time all I had was a foam target for my bow, well!!! I didn't expect the bolts to go right throught, which they did, and into the ground( whith broadheads on I might add ) purchasing the bow was a last minute discision, I was going hunting the following morning! So I wasn't organized or equiped to sight in.
out here carbon arrows are twice as much, were do you buy yours?
BOB VANDRISH

Compound arrows to bolts

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Andy,I agree with bj,we need to know what you are using for a target.
I use a cross woven poly bag packed with loose pieces of leather,and the arrows pull out with two fingers.
I have a regular foam target,and another homemade one using old ceiling tiles(2' by 4"),cut into 6" strips in the four foot direction,and have them mounted between two 2 by 4's,with bolts down through the ends.
With the right tension on those end bolts a bolt only goes half way through.
None of these targets have yet to damage an arrow.
Are these arrows Easton,by any chance?
The arrow spec is written right on them
For that bow,either 2216 or 2219's are the best,again bearing in mind that they should all come out weighing the same,with inserts,fletching and either field or broadhead tips.
Are they 4'or 5" vanes,and do you know if they are straight or a slight helical fletch?
My experience is that a 5" vane flies the best,and the textbook recommendation on the angle for the vanes is around a 4 degree offset.
Hope that helps.
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
peter p

Post by peter p »

Just buy them. It's a whole lot easier than making them.
bj can make you up a half dozen that will shoot perfect from your bow.
shurite44

Target

Post by shurite44 »

You need a good target. I use the Block. I think that is what it is called. Works real nice for a crossbow target and does not cost much.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Andy,

If you want assistance on how to re-use arrows and fletch them properly for your xbow with exacting constitency, PM me.
I'll send you some pictures which will make it all self explanatory.
I'll even explain how you can make-up a 970gr 2213.
As far as components (vanes, feathers, inserts etc), i'll tell you where you can get them very easily.

As far as target butts, i'll explain densities, elasticity and why foam is a terrible choice, i think you already know that.