Excalibur vs. Ten point

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikew

Excalibur vs. Ten point

Post by mikew »

new to forum, new to Xbows....help?
Hi!
Although I've shot bows in the past, I'm new to the forum. Seems like a great place!

I've gone without shooting my bow for 6 years now due to a stroke and my wife has convinced me it's time to get back to archery via a crossbow.

After researching my choices, I'm down to two manufacturers - Excalibur & TenPoint.

Within those two, I'm not looking for the fastest bow, but one that will mainly be used for Whitetail hunting (my dream though is to take a moose or African plains game with it someday).

Now, the stroke has left me with a weak right arm/shoulder and a loss of dexterity in my right hand. Oh, I'm a southpaw too.

I can hold onto things and I have test fired a Yukon ithout any issues (a crank cocking device will nearly be manditory for consistency's sake).

i suspect I'll be mostly in tree stands, but that's not guaranteed.

With all that said, I haven't held either manfacturer's bows yet.

I'm drawn to the simplicity of the Excalibur line, and the Exocet in particular (PA has a 200lb max draw weight restriction for som reason).

BUT, I like the compact nature of the TenPoint Titan.

My "fears" with the Ten Point are that it might require some tuning I would be unable to perform with my lack of dexterity in my right hand, and to a lesser degree the weight of that setup could be a slight concern. (I can train to deal with the latter).

I've talked to one local archery shop that sells both and the gentleman with whom I spoke favors TenPoint; claims they are more durable.

What do you guys think given the above info?

Thanks a lot in advance,
-Mike
PS I've found a new 2002 Exocet 175lb that's $40 cheaper than the 2005 Exocet 200lb - which one is a better choice?
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I own an Excalibur and yes they are not as compact as Ten Point but not as heavy.
Tom

Post by Tom »

mikew welcome to the forum. I think you will find alot of educated answers to your ?'s here. Feel free to ask any and all that you might need to, to be able to make a good choice for you.

I do not know much about tenpoint crossbows, other than they are alittle more narrow, but they will weigh more.

Now the Excal line of crossbows are simplistic in nature. No pullies, can change strings in less than 5 minutes. I have watched someone cock 175lb bow, one handed with the help of the cocking aids. These bows also can be attached with a mechanical cocking device, weither it be the Excal "crankaroo" or the acudraw.

Any Excal bow will be enough power for deer, even the 150lb model is enough for Moose, but I would recomend going higher poundage if you plan on the larger game animals.

Now between the two exocets (175 & 200lb), if I am correct, the only difference in the two is the riser. The 200lb has the forward tilting riser creating the extra poundage in the bow. Both will be dependable and accurate.

Your comment
gentleman with whom I spoke favors TenPoint; claims they are more durable.
I find to be maybe a sales pitch. I shoot the Excalibur Relayer which is over 20 years old and have never had 1 major problem with it. The more simple the design in genereal, the less problems you will have. I am not saying that TenPoint is not durable, but only that the Excalibur crossbows are one of the most Durable and Reliable on the market, and if you ever do have a problem, the company stands behind their bows. Others on here can attest to their dependability.

Hope this helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Digger

Post by Digger »

mikew, Welcome to the Excalibur forum. Excals are as durable as any xbow if not more so. I have a Excal Wolverine that was made in 1988 and still shoots Robin Hoods and is as fast as it was when it was new. Great service and warranty for Excals can't be beat. Almost all parts are interchangeable from year to year. Triggers are rifle quality (3 lb pull) on all models. Get your dealer to let you handle and shoot both to get a feel for them. Ten Point's weigh about 9 1/2 with a scope the Excal about 7 lbs.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
JUSTANUFF

mikew

Post by JUSTANUFF »

check your pm
bobby jost

Choices...

Post by bobby jost »

Mike,

Our years of shooting Excalibur Crossbows at ACA and the disabled clients we associate with, in the majority of cases, shoot this indestructable, no fuss and deadly accurate product. (www.acadventures.ca ) No pully's or messy engineering. You must sight the scope at 20yds, once that is accomplished your set!

The 'crankaroo' serves as a wonderful tool if your alone, however at ACA when we hunt with a disabled guest, we load the crossbow and they pull the trigger.

Any other info needed regarding opinion of this product and its field use
contact our site at [email protected]

Bobby/ACAdventures
speedball

Post by speedball »

Although i can say that both bows are a fine choice and it is true that the ten-point line is not as easy to field maintain but i prefer the ten-points over excals thats just my opinion, i like the lightness of the exocet and i like the fit and finish of the ten-points, i'm also a northern ohio resident and live very close to the ten-point plant and am proud to shoot a product made 17 miles from my house, i guess its a matter of choice but either would be a very good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D speedball...........
gone huntin never to return................
terry-1

cbows

Post by terry-1 »

I have owned horton,excalibur,tenpoint,and parker crossbows. My two favorites were the tenpoint stealth and my Exocet. I stuck with the Exocet mainly because I could do my own work no proshop needed and the lighter weight my tenpoint was over 9lbs with ACC draw and scope.Both shot very well.
mikew

Post by mikew »

All,
Thanks!

You folks are great.

Since posting my original questions, I've talked to another shop...one with whom I've dealt extensively in the past and discovered a few tidbits of info.

1) They are sold out of Ten Point bows

2) They sell MORE Excalbur Xbows than TenPoint or any other brand

And...probably the most important one to me...

3) they have fewer problems with the Excals.

This is a large, established place.

Thanks again,
-Mike

PS When asked, they said they'd be happy to let me shoot both, bt they probably won't get the new TenPoints in until ~Feb.
speedball

Post by speedball »

Good call Bob the excals have no competition cause ther arent any worthy recurve crossbows out there that can stand alone like they do, but i still think ten-points are the only worthy compounds they stand alone in that field, no hortons dont even come close and the reason ten-point went on their own was cause they had far superoir ideas that had to be discovered , Rick and family put out some nice stuff....speedball..... :D :!:
gone huntin never to return................
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I owned one other crossbow prior to getting an Exocet 175#. And am I ever glad I chose an Excalibur. I can't even think of a reason to try let alone buy another brand. I know my bow will still be taking deer 20 years from now. I'd be willing to bet that if you purchased an Excal you would not only keep it but be recommending it to every hunter you talk to!!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"