What do you think?...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

What do you think?

I find it offensive
25%
I don't find it offensive
8%
(For you really mad ones) I think Jay should take a hike...
66%

Total votes: 59

wilsonj73

Post by wilsonj73 »

All I can say is good on all of you for taking a stand on such narrow minded views.

I personally will hunt with whatever TOOL I need to increase my chances of success whether it be a rifle, a crossbow or a vert bow (and yes I am competent on a vert bow too)

Meat is the freezer is meat in the freezer and you are right, it is narrow minded views such as these that hurt the sport of hunting.

Thank you to all of you for speaking out on what is right!!
Give a kid a fish and they'll eat for a day, teach a kid to fish and they'll eat for a lifetime!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Here's my email to Petersen's:
As an avid bowhunter, I thought that I might enjoy reading the stories contained in your Bowhunting magazine, and so became a subscriber. As a user of not only a vertical recurve, but a horizontal recurve bow (i.e. crossbow) as well, I was pleased to see a crossbow ad in your September and October issues. I thought that Petersen’s Bowhunting had become a progressive hunting magazine and recognized crossbows as the legitimate archery hunting tool that they are.

You can imagine my surprise when I read the following in the November issue of the magazine:

"Our apologies to any we might have offended by letting a crossbow ad slip into the September and October issues. We at Petersen's BOWHUNTING don't consider the crossbow part of bowhunting, and we have a policy of not running such ads, but somehow the cosmic genies that work behind the scenes placed ads bound for Petersen's Hunting in this magazine. Our apologies to loyal readers who may have taken offense."

I must assume that Jay Strangis received some unfavourable mail from the "Holier-than-thou" elitists and decided to not only pull the ad, but to also “apologize to the loyal readers”. Well as a, until now, loyal subscriber, reader, and current crossbow user, I am grossly offended by Mr. Strangis comments. Needless to say, I will no longer renew my subscription or read a magzine that holds such narrow-minded opinions as those expressed above.

Signed,
Former Loyal Reader
A few more like-minded emails like those above might make Primedia realize that more than just the holier-than-thou so-called "elitists" read their magazines. I wonder how many those readers are they willing to lose?
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

They lost me.

I've been a subscrober for 10 or bettter years..

Petersens Bowhunting reply to my request..

I haven't heard back from Petersen's Hunting..

Dear Mr. Williams,

We have cancelled your subscription as you have requested. We have issued a refund in the amount of $7.20, and you should receive it in 4 to 6 weeks. The last issue that will be mailed is dated December 2005.

Sincerely,
Stella O'Chris
Customer Service
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
A.W

Post by A.W »

Here's a copy of the Email I sent.

I read the following.......

"Our apologies to any we might have offended by letting a crossbow ad slip into the September and October issues. We at Petersen's BOWHUNTING don't consider the crossbow part of bowhunting, and we have a policy of not running such ads, but somehow the cosmic genies that work behind the scenes placed ads bound for Petersen's Hunting in this magazine. Our apologies to loyal readers who may have taken offense."

We, as in I and many of my friends that use to read your magazine, take offense at your comments about " not considering crossbows part of bowhunting".

So as I understand your comments. You will take money for crossbow ads for your Petersons Hunting publication but at the same time denounce crossbows in your Petersons Bowhunting magazine!!!

Sounds like a form of prostitution to me.

As you may know, there are many States/Provinces that NOW allow crossbows in their regular archery season and there are many more to come. I sincerely believe that (your) comments like above will seriously affect not only subscriptions to your magazines but also your income from crossbow manufacturers.

Have a nice day.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if I'll get a reply.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
DJH

Post by DJH »

It’s kind of interesting getting to know this Peterson fella! On one hand, he (or it) purposes to support all forms of hunting. I was completely convinced of that when he came out with the first issue of Peterson’s Crossbow Hunting. Progress was being made in the right direction, I assumed. Now, the true colors of the organization are exposed by the editor of Peterson’s Bowhunting by his revealing comments and apologies.

I believe that either you are for or against the crossbow. And if you are against it on one hand, the other hand shouldn’t be milking hunters and the hunting industry for their hard earned dollars if you aren’t completely supportive of its use during the archery season.

It’s a real shame that this Peterson fella let the cat slip out of the bag, but the kitty is gone. I just wish that I was a subscriber so that I could follow up in the Woody Williams manner. However, I let my subscription go several years ago totally unaware of the fact I had been supporting an anti-crossbow entity. I guess I will have to pass on a subsription to Peterson’s Crossbow Hunting, too! After all, it is the same Peterson fella, right?
It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!

Daniel James Hendricks
POB 251
Glenwood, MN 56334
320-634-3660
Email: [email protected]
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Here's my recent reply to their "LAST CHANCE!...FINAL RENEWAL REMINDER."
Jeffrey S. Waring
Associate Publisher/Editorial Director
Bowhunter Magazine

Dear Sir,

In response to your FINAL renewal reminder. I, not only as a vertical recurve archer, but also a recurve crossbow hunter, refuse to subscribe to and support a publication which is so narrow-minded that it fails to recognize the CROSSBOW as an archery hunting tool.

Excerpt from November issue of Petersen's Whitetail Bowhunting magazine:

Jay Strangis wrote:

Furthermore, to your claims,

that...by renewing early -- now in fact -- you’re risking nothing ...

1. The price won’t get any lower if you wait.

2. We avoid cluttering up your mailbox with more reminders later.

3. The time, money, and hassle you spare us are passed along to you in the form of a bigger and better publication at a very reasonable price that includes......

I respond, your hard sell tactics only serve to further antagonize a disgruntled subscriber. For your information, by not renewing my subscription, I have not reduced my cost, but rather eliminated it. As for your constant renewal reminders, they do not clutter my mailbox, but serve as kindling to light my fireplace. As far as the time, money, and hassle that you incur, I say to you, that is the price of doing business. What I do find surprising is that your firm fails to realize, that by not providing a prepaid envelope, in which subscribers can return their renewals, it undoubtedly loses numerous clients.

In closing I suggest that your firm should rethink its policies and strategies, if it wishes to survive in the 21st century. Until then I will remain a.....

Former Subscriber,
L.P.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
JR

Post by JR »

Boy, am I ever glad that I NEVER subscribed to that rag. This only serves as a re-enforcement that I chose HORIZONTAL BOWHUNTER magazine. Another money saving tip. -JR
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
Ridge Runner

Post by Ridge Runner »

To all bow hunters and crossbow hunters, we as hunters have to stick together to keep the sport alive. lets stop fighting each other and keep the sport for our kids and future young hunters. :( :(
X-BowMan

Post by X-BowMan »

Why can't an editor choose to say what he/she wants too in THEIR magazine. if you want to read about crossbow hunting, get the latest edition of horizontal or petersen's (not a popular choice I guess). and if you want to read about bowhunting, get a bowhunting mag...but stop razzing a guiy that is only trying to speak his mind (which i aplaud him for). if you do not want to buy it, don't. but quit with this. petersen's bowhunting is a quality magazine and i feel sorry for all that choose to quit buying it.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

X-BowMan wrote:Why can't an editor choose to say what he/she wants too in THEIR magazine. if you want to read about crossbow hunting, get the latest edition of horizontal or petersen's (not a popular choice I guess). and if you want to read about bowhunting, get a bowhunting mag...but stop razzing a guiy that is only trying to speak his mind (which i aplaud him for). if you do not want to buy it, don't. but quit with this. petersen's bowhunting is a quality magazine and i feel sorry for all that choose to quit buying it.
Why??? Because it brainwashes their other readers that only they(the ones who use verts and only verts) can be classed as archers. That is why it is wrong!!! I'm sure there are many other far more important issues than a crossbow ad to write an editorial about.

No I will not "quit with this". Because it is an attack on the way I hunt.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

and if he makes them mad at crossbow hunters, who knows what one of their more idiotic members would do about it
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

In the latest Bowhunting Petersons there is a long letter from the editor about all bow hunters getting along and he talks about that including crossbow hunters. Maybe these letters worked.
Last edited by Tigerpaw on Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Tigerpaw wrote:I the latest Bowhunting Petersons there is a long letter from the editor about all bow hunters getting along and he talks about that including crossbow hunters. Maybe these letters worked.
It will only work if he BELIEVES in what he has written. I wouldn't be surprised if someone higher up had him write an apology of sorts. If he really believes in this then he should incorporate an occasional article about crossbows and allow crossbow ads as well, otherwise he is just a hypocrite trying to appease the subscription holders.[/b]
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I sent my email and I think everyone should lay into this guy..but thats my 2 cents.........
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

If you really want to drive the point home that you are upset hit them where it hurts. E-mail the companies that advertise in their magazines with your comments and advise those companies that you will not be dealing with them. Let them know what you think of the editor's views.
Writing the magazine lets them know but they make their money from the advertising and the advertisers do not want consumers ticked off and not buying their products.
Most advertisements conveniently put their website in their ads.
I've used this tactic before and it works...