O/T Martin's Liberals Plan to ban Handguns

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

O/T Martin's Liberals Plan to ban Handguns

Post by Farmer »

I just can not get enough of this guy. Just when I think I can not hate these guys any worse, they find away to raise the bar.

Just read a short piece of in on www.canoe.ca

The by line reads :

A campaigining Prime Minister Paul Martin planned to venture into a violence-plagued area of Toronto on Thursday to announce a sweeping ban on handguns, the Canadian Press hass learned.

This should work even better than bill C 68 has already. :x
decee

Post by decee »

I hang my head in shame over the gullibility of the Canadian voter.
Rifles are next and sooner or later crossbows

Q
How do you tell where the morons live?

A
They have red signs on their front lawn

:(
JeffOwens

Post by JeffOwens »

I did not realize you had violence in Canada. I always thought you guys were peacefull, and we were the violent bad neighbors to the south.

Sorry to hear you guys may lose handguns!
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

It's sure going to be tough getting from under the thumb of these liberals! I know my guns are going to be lost in a canoe accident if it ever comes to that. :wink:
Tom

Post by Tom »

JeffOwens wrote:I did not realize you had violence in Canada. I always thought you guys were peacefull, and we were the violent bad neighbors to the south.

Handguns have been restricted since the late 1930's, therefore the crime commetted with handguns would still be commited with a bann. It is totally STUPID to believe that people are this gullable to believe that this action will do anything about crime. Trouble is ....... THEY WILL GAIN VOTES WITH STATEMENTS LIKE THAT, even if they do not plan to take that action.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR[/b]
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
A.W

Post by A.W »

Martin proposes sweeping ban on handguns
CTV.ca News Staff

Liberal Leader Paul Martin is proposing a sweeping ban on handguns to combat growing gun-related violence in Canada's cities.

"Handguns kill people -- that's why they exist, and they're taking too many Canadian lives," said Martin during his "safer communities announcement" at a school near Toronto's violence-plagued Jane and Finch area this morning.

Details of the Liberal proposal include:

a new 250 officer unit from the RCMP dedicated solely to fighting gun-related crimes, as well as other organized crime and drug trafficking;
75 new officers at Canada Border Services to combat illegal importation of handguns from the U.S.;
tougher sentences for gun-related crimes, by changing the law to double the mandatory minimum sentences for such crimes;
waving the re-registration fees for owners of long-guns; and
a gun amnesty and buy-back program that draws from an Australian model, including a gun stoppers initiative aimed at ensuring the turn-in of illegal weapons.
A handgun registry in Canada already exists and has been active for more than 60 years. But a rash of gun-related violence in some of Canada's major urban centres has prompted Martin to promise even stricter laws. In Toronto, gunfire has killed 50 people so far this year.

Handguns are currently classified as either restricted or prohibited. Canadians can get a handgun license by proving the weapon is part of a collection, in target-shooting competitions, or for target practice.

The announcement will likely be popular in vote-rich urban centres. But it could anger voters in rural areas, already upset at the Liberal-created registry for long guns. The registry, created 10 years ago, was supposed to cost just $2 million -- but the price tag continued to rise to more than $1 billion.

Law enforcement officials, criminologists and legal experts have struggled over how to best deal with gun violence.

Before the Liberal minority government collapsed, Justice Minister Irwin Cotler tabled legislation that includes an increase in the minimum sentence on some gun crimes, and tougher parole rules for gun crime offenders.

There are already more than a dozen gun crimes that carry minimum sentences of one to four years, but calls for stiffer penalties have won backing from police groups.

Critics

But some legal experts believe that tougher sentences will do little to end the violence. In fact, they say such laws will merely strain an already over-taxed court system and put more minority youth behind bars.

"There's this real concern out there that we're moving towards this pander to law-and-order types' (trend),'' Bill Trudell, chairman of the Canadian Council of Criminal Defence Lawyers, told the Canadian Press.

"We know it's not going to work.''

Dudley Laws, of the Black Action Defence Committee, a group devoted to ending gun violence in Toronto, has also disagreed with tougher sentencing.

"What we want is for the Prime Minister and his Cabinet to empower and give the community the capacity to make the immediate and intense intervention that is required to deal with our young people," he said.

But Wendy Cukier, co-founder of the Coalition for Gun Control said existing laws limiting the availability of handguns and the use of rifles and shotguns have been effective.

"Five hundred fewer people are killed with guns today than 16 years ago," Cukier said Thursday on CTV's Canada AM. "There's no question that stronger gun laws in Canada have made a big difference. In spite of the surge in Toronto over the last year, gun murders are the lowest in 30 years. ... Murders of women with guns are down 66 per cent.

"So it's really misleading to suggest we're not getting anything for the investment in gun control."

Gun lobby

Not surprisingly, reaction from the firearms lobby to the proposed ban has been negative.

"It's going to accomplish nothing. There's already all types of legislation and illegal use of handguns is out of control," Wayne Fields, president of the Law-Abiding Registered Firearms Association, told the Canadian Press.

"They have to concentrate on the illegal drugs and the criminals that are using the firearms -- get them off the street. They're not going to get rid of guns, it's impossible."

But former Liberal premier Brian Tobin said it's important that the government takes a clear and strong position with respect to handguns.

"It also matters when you have the National Rifle Association showing up in Canada and deciding to endorse the Conservative campaign in this case, and try and inject their agenda ... into the Canadian electoral process."

NDP Leader Jack Layton said he would have to study the proposal before commenting, but indicated that he would support tougher gun controls.

"I have said for many, many years -- handguns have no place in cities," Layton said when asked to speak to the issue at a Dartmouth, N.S. press conference this morning.

He said his party had brought up the problem of guns "flooding into the country" repeatedly during the last Parliament, but that "nothing was done."

"If we're finally starting to see some action on it, we'll take a look at what's proposed," said Layton.

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/Arti ... uns_051208
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

F%^k THE LIBERALS!!!!!!!!!
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

I am glad to see that the National Rifle Association is involved. I makes me proud to be a member of an orginization that is being active. This craziness can start to turn around if we make sure the libs are out this time! Does anyone know were we could find out how many of the 50 murders were done with reg. hand guns? I am willing to bet very, very few. Now if that is the case then this sweeping ban on handguns will do nothing will it.
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

JeffOwens wrote:I did not realize you had violence in Canada. I always thought you guys were peacefull, and we were the violent bad neighbors to the south.

An interesting fact Jeff. Years ago I was an Ontario Provencial Police officer and we received yearly stats. The interesting part was that back then although the US beat us with murders by firearm per capita. Canada beat the US in murder by sharp object ie. knife ect. It gave me the impression that if a person wants to kill they will find a way.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Tigerpaw wrote:Canada beat the US in murder by sharp object ie. knife ect.
I guess that doesn't include Paul Martin's wit. It's not that sharp.
:wink:

buckeye

Post by buckeye »

We have the same problem here in the states with liberals. They never want or demand personal responsibilty for the actions of individuals. They feel a need to treat adults as children and want to ban everything that may be bad for us or anything THEY deem dangerous or not needed. They also seem to think that we are to stupid or not trustworthy enough to make decisions for ourselves or to even raise our own children without their help. They have that "Big brother knows best" attitude. The only thing worse than a liberal is two liberals. I don't mean to offend any liberals that may be members of this forum but enough is enough. Law abiding citizens are just that; law abiding citizens. So any new laws that they come up with will only be obeyed by the law abiding citizens while the criminals just sit back, laugh and say "well, I guess that will be just another crime listed on my rap sheet"
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Farmer

Saving Lives

Post by Farmer »

Correct me if I am wrong here. The LIEberals are all for saving lives, why have they not banned the sale and use of Tobacco ?? By the LIEberals own numbers we would save thousands of lives every year. It would also reduce the cost of Public Health care by reducing tobacco related illness. They would not ban tobacco because it is a BIG TAX / Money maker for them.

The LIEberals are a real piece of work, rob us blind in 1 breath ,then tell us they are the only ones that can keep us safe.

:evil:
A.W

Post by A.W »

A.W wrote:
NDP Leader Jack Layton said he would have to study the proposal before commenting, but indicated that he would support tougher gun controls.

"I have said for many, many years -- handguns have no place in cities," Layton said when asked to speak to the issue at a Dartmouth, N.S. press conference this morning.

He said his party had brought up the problem of guns "flooding into the country" repeatedly during the last Parliament, but that "nothing was done."

"If we're finally starting to see some action on it, we'll take a look at what's proposed," said Layton.

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/Arti ... uns_051208
Not just the Liberals. The "Puppet" is at it too. This guy has even less personality than S.F.B Martin.

Sliver

Post by Sliver »

DesertRat wrote:F%^k THE LIBERALS!!!!!!!!!

I'll second that :evil: :evil:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
decee

Post by decee »

Sliver wrote:
DesertRat wrote:F%^k THE LIBERALS!!!!!!!!!

I'll second that :evil: :evil:
Carried