Almost decided

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jim22

Almost decided

Post by Jim22 »

Hi to all. I have been reading this forum for some time getting info and ideas for a xbow purchase and have come down to the Vixen and Phoenix. I know they both are good bows and capable for deer and I don't want to go any higher than the Phoenix. Here's my question: Is there any real good reason for spending the extra for the Phoenix over the Vixen other than 25 fps, camo finish and dissapator bars? Dissapator bars are not that high and could be placed on the Vixen. I don't mind the brown that much and I guess it could always be changed with some camo paint. What I don't know is this, does the extra 25 fps matter that much as far as a flatter trajectory or to increase range? I used to bow hunt with a compound long bow and figured if I keep my shots within 40 yards like before the Vixen would be fine. So I guess in my indecision I need a good reason why the Phoenix would be better in the long run than the Vixen. Oh, can't afford two bows. Thanks for any thoughts. Jim
A.W

Post by A.W »

The new Phoenix is the same poundage as my 175lb Exocet. I think you would like the extra bit of zip. Enough power and weight to do the job as well as the extra speed.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
bails111

Post by bails111 »

Got 1 buck and 1 doe this year with my Vixen Deluxe( dissipitator bars,realtree camo,max zone scope) The buck I harvested was at 20 yards from a treestand . I shot high (nerves I think) got him in the spine and he dropped like I cracked him with a sledgehammer. I recocked without a string cocker, in my hang on treestand comfortably and sent my second 2216 w/ 100 grain Shockwave through its heart and 1 lung.I didn't like see'n him suffer'in. My doe I got at 20-25 yards from a treestand clean pass through tracked for 25 feet. The Vixen will do the job if you put the bolt where it should go. I don't know how well I would have been able to cock in my stand
with a heavier (draw weight bow) but rarely do you get a second shot with any bow. If you're inside 30yards 25 FPS doesn't mean much, but if you push out beyond that, buy as much zip as you can afford.
Play Safe
wabi

Post by wabi »

The Vixen will work just fine on deer, but I'd recommend minimum weight arrows for hunting to get the maximum velocity. I started my serious crossbow hunting with a Vixen and killed several deer. All complete passthroughs, and all good hits for quick kills. I then went to an Exocet (175) and the extra speed extended the range a few yards, but I seldom needed it. I ended up with a Phoenix as a compromise between extra speed and ease of cocking. The Phoenix is a great crossbow, but I doubt if I kill any more deer than I could have killed with a Vixen. I just like the camo finish better, or I would have probably gone back to a Vixen for the ease of cocking it.
wabi
chris4570

Re: Almost decided

Post by chris4570 »

Jim22 wrote:if I keep my shots within 40 yards like before the Vixen would be fine.
I would think that 30 yards would be a better limit with a Vixen. I shoot an Exocet 175# and have made 30 yards my self-imposed limit, prefering to be closer 20 yards and under would be ideal!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Jim22

Post by Jim22 »

Thanks to all the responses. I have made my decision to purchase a Vixen after the Holidays, unless I find a used Phoenix reasonably priced, and learn to use it well before the next deer season. As noted I will limit my shots to 30 yards or less. One further question if you don't mind:

Can I use the same targets I use for my compound bow? I currently use a Black Hole for broadheads and a bag target for field points. Will these be sufficient or should I get a target for crossbows?

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to all.

Jim
Jim22

Post by Jim22 »

Well went to get a Vixen like I had planned but the plan came apart real quick and a Phoenix came home with me instead. Both bows felt real good but once I added the extras to the Vixen like the dissapator bars the Phoenix was only $30 more and the camo does look real good on it. Now to save up a little extra and get the rest of the stuff I need and start shooting. Can't wait!!!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Congrats!!! :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Ron

Almost decided

Post by Ron »

Jim, I bought a Phoenix before Christmas and have been as tickled as a two tailed puppy since then. I shot a doe yesterday at 25 yards. Complete
pass through and I found her 40 yards away. I moved up from a Barnett
Revolution to Excalibur and it was like moving from a VW to a Mercedes.
The Barnett was faster but bulky and UGLY. You'll love being a Phoenix shooter. Happy New Year.
I would rather be hunting.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Its just nice to have a choice or options but these guys are right they will do the same job.....you will be pleased with what ever you get...by the way i have a 200lb exomag...I love her
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!