Pig Hunting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Maritimer

Pig Hunting?

Post by Maritimer »

I was just wondering if anyone got a chance to hunt for pigs. That is one animal that intrigues me, and I hope that some day I am able to hunt. :D
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
terry-1

pig

Post by terry-1 »

Well since I just posted some trail cam pics of some hogs I guess I can't deny hunting them. Free roaming wild hogs are very hard to hunt. They tend to move around alot and it's real hard to get a pattern on them. They can't see the best but their nose is unreal so if they catch wind of you then they are gone and unlike deer the don't stop running to look back. I tend to bag most of my hogs by sure luck when deer hunting. They are tastey critters!
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No thanks.........I married one back in the 70's ...took 12 years to get rid of her and cost me a bundle so i'll be frigged if i'm gonna hunt for another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Masterhunter

Post by Masterhunter »

I have only taken 2 so far but I hunt them every chance I get now. They are a fun challenge. Their eyesight isn't as bad as I've heard. I was once scouting a public hunting area and was going to put a pig trail crossing on my GPS when out of the corner of my eye I saw a black pig. I quickly put the GPS in my coat pocket and started the stalk. She was only about 25 yards from me and was crosswind of me. Anyway I made about 5 or 6 steps when my GPS starts beeping because it lost the satelites. Did I mention they have good hearing? She didn't wait for me to get any closer and disappeared in the brush.

The other night I saw one as I was leaving the area but it was in the last minutes of dusk and because she was black I couldn't see my crosshairs on my scope. He was about 150# and only 20 yards away but I didn't take the shot because it was too dark to see the target. Its amazing when you find their sign because its so easy to find where they have been. Terry 1 was right about patterning them. Also here is a link which has a lot of good information. http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/index. ... a621649e0f

Hope you get to go hog hunting soon, you will love it.
North2South

Post by North2South »

Here in Florida there are wild hog most everywhere...if you look. I have had the opportunity to harvest many of these critters with my beloved...and well worn...Wolverine. We are building a new church campus right next to I-75 and since we acquired the 45-50 acres, I have spent countless hours in the various tree stands on the property.

The hogs that are on the property are not feral descendants as much as they are European so they have smaller bodies and longer, narrower snouts...but boy are they TASTY!

If I can help you any let me know...The largest was a 250 lb. boar, but the average is about 150 lbs.
You can take the boy South...
But y'all can't take the North outta him!

Time spent in the tree...is time well spent!