Eastcentral Pa. shooters?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ted

Eastcentral Pa. shooters?

Post by ted »

Is there anyone who lives in or near Schuylkill County, Pa. on this forum?
I have some questions about this type of equipment, though I have never shot one to this date. With my shoulder trouble, the day is coming that I may need to consider one of these for my hunting, but I know nothing about crossbows other than what I read, and a lot of that involves argumental rhetoric. I would really like to know what all the fuss is about. Any help would be appreciated.

Ted
ted

Post by ted »

Well, that's one reason that I am here, to get some honest FACTS. To be honest, I am not yet ready to give up my compounds, but I know the day will come that I must. I have gone from a 70 pound with 60 percent letoff to a a bow with 60 pound pull and 80 percent letoff. When this is too much trouble, I think the concept archery 99 percent letoff may be in my future. My doc ( and she is a bow hunter, so she understands ) thinks I should look into one now, or else the crossbow. So, here I am, sort of like a babe in the woods, so any info will be a help.
By the way, thanks for the welcome.

Ted
Tom

Post by Tom »

Ted many years ago I dislocated my left shoulder (I am right handed) and to this day it will still pop out with little force needed in certain positions. Unfortantly that position is extended as in the shooting psition. I am lucky that where I live allows crossbows as a hunting tool.

You will find that the crossbow has basicly the same range as a compound. It has less mobility when you walk through the woods, but once it is cocked and the arrow loaded you are ready to go which helps you with your should trouble.

I hope that you never come to the point whree you have to totally give up your other bows. If you get a crossbow now, maybe you can prolong your ability for usisng your compound. When your shoulder is hurting or your having a bad day, take your crossbow. When you feel great take the compound. This will give you more days in the bush, which is what we all want correct. The ability to be there.

You will find that many on here with disabilities, or without, hunt with both crossbows and compounds orlongbow/recurves.

The Cocking devices might be worth your while with a should problem. I also think that the ROPE COCKER is all that you would need to cock it if you are not able to do it by hand. Now the size of bow will depend on what you plan to hunt with it. If it is just DEER size animals, then any Excalibur size bow will do the job (150lb+). THe 150 lb model will also work on moose and has taken many moose over the years.

I hope that you will be able to find someone in your area that you can get togethre with to try out their bow or bows. If not, try gathering as much information about them then go to a pro shop that sells them to get a feel for them and see how you like them (the information before hand will help you see through a sales pitch if one is there).

Please feel free to ask any question that you have. We all have been there at one time or another.

Good luck I hope this has helped you.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
ted

Post by ted »

Thanks for the advice, Tom. Like you, I am right-handed with left shoulder trouble. I did some damage to it two years ago in a work accident, and it has left me with some problems. I can still draw and hunt ( for now ) but not with total ease or comfort. Heck, on the first draw of the day, I can feel and bystanders can actually HEAR a popping noise. Not fun or comfortable. However, after the first draw, I can usually get away with shooting for some time with a minimum of discomfort. However, I know things will get worse, and am now looking to broaden my hunting options. My plans are to eventually get a concept bow, but until your post I had not considered getting a crossbow now to shoot on occasion. You are right, this may well give me more days hunitng, and fewer recovering.

Ted
Xterror

Post by Xterror »

Good to see another Peeyea'r here. I am having shoulder problems too. I had MRI's done but no tears or anything showed up. Dr said it's arthritis. It's got to the point I can't shoot my compound enough to get the practice I need. I just bought an Exocet. I do most of my hunting down in 5D where crossbows are legal anyway. I'm not sure if I'd qualify for a handicaped permit or not. Go to a dealer and shoot some crossbows and buy what feels right to you.
joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

Ted,

Xterror is right. Nothing beats first hand experience. Try them all and pick the one you like best. I just came back from shooting my Exocet for the first time. :D says it all!

Good luck!
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

Check out my portfolio at:

http://Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz

or

http://www2.Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz/blog
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Ted,

You will still have to break over the Concept99.

When I was having trouble shooting my vertical bow it wasn't the holding back that bothered me, it was getting the thing to break over. The hot ice pick in the shoulder happened before I could get it to break over.

IOW - You still have to pull the full poundage, if even just for a split second.

When it hurts you too bad - just buy, shoot and hunt with a crossbow. It is still BOWHUNTING.

I did and I've never looked back..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
ted

Post by ted »

Thanks for the advice, guys. That's sort of why I put this thread up, looking for someone who may live close to me and shoots one of these things. Then I could see one in action, and perhaps even take a shot or three myself. Time will tell, I suppose.

Ted