smokin on the watch

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hafta Hunt

smokin on the watch

Post by Hafta Hunt »

How many smokers light up while hunting? I usually have one in a 3-4 hour sit. never near primetime. I've had lots come in regardless. I'm otherwise meticulus with my clothes... I really think cigarettes have little effect. I'm not seein many of bucks though. Of the 11 deer I had within 40 yds, the best one was the 4 point I took at 25 yds.
Hafta eat, hafta sleep, hafta work ... HAFTA HUNT
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I don't smoke Hafta, but think your right in what you say. They likely think its just another start of a forest fire.

Grey Owl
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I don't smoke and never have, but i have to believe it decreases your odds of harvesting deer. Im sure in many cases it wouldn't matter, but why risk a chance at a mature buck or any deer for that matter.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Never in the woods, or even in the truck I take to get there, and never with my huntin' clothes on.
Deer have an incredible sense of smell. If you have a good wind in the right direction and you're elevated in a stand, it probably doesn't make that much difference, but otherwise, it could kill your hunt.
Thwackem!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've had 'em walk right past my ground blind while I was brewing a cup of coffee with an alcohol stove and smoking a cigar. The deer appeared unconcerned with the strange odors. There aren't many bucks with really good antlers where I hunt, but it don't seem to bother the mature deer that are around.
wabi
Tom

Post by Tom »

I used to hunt deer with rifles in the Perry Sound area any years ago. A few of our group did smoke. In the first part of the week, we could see sign of deer near the watches they used. Later the deer seemed to avoid the area. When the dogs would start to chase in that dirrection, the deer would turn and go elsewhere. Then one day, where we left that watch empty, my dad walked downwind of the watch and could smell tobbacco. What he was smelling was the butts that were left behind.

From that point on, each watch had a large bottle for pee and the butts which could be sealed for no scent. Well it worked to some degree, but not great because the bears always seemed to find the bottles and rip them apart.

I guess the moral is to try to illiminate as much scent as possible, no matter how much you think you have illiminated, there will be still some around.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

I smoke, when I am in a tree stand. I have a old pop bottle with water in it so that I can place my butts in it instead of throwing them on the ground. I also like to ground hunt and I have taken bucks with my longbow while smoking. One year I shot a moose, bear and a nice buck and each time I was smoking. I just hunt into the wind, it seems to work for me. :D
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

This is the first time I quit in 35 years. The Dr. gave me an rx for BUDEPRION SR 150 MG. The week before my quit day I took 1 pill a day then on my quit day Jan 1, I took one in the am and one in the pm. My wife smokes, but into my 3rd day, smoke free. Never went more than 1 DAY before. Seemed to be more alert and trying to keep busy. No MUNCHIES YET
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

I'm a smoker as well. One thing that drives me crazy is people throwing their butts on the ground. I've gone up to stands and bitched guys out, making all kinds of noise. I'll ruin their hunt if they are going to ruin my woods.

That being said, in my limited experience, cig smoke doesn't seem to make a difference. Other smoke though....... :lol: :lol:
jk.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I have 2 friends that are heavy smokers and it doesnt seem to hurt their hunting any. They do hunt high in the tree though. You should see their wall with mounts. I have another friend that burns them new incense sticks while hunting and has had deer walk right up to them and smell them so go figure.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

It may not bother the deer, but neither will the smokers, when they can't get to the woods anymore to hunt. My father, used to be an avid hunter and fisherman, he is now confined to a chair, or a short walk of 20 or so yards, before he tires out. If he would kill a deer, he would not have enough energy to even field dress it. He thought the smoking would never get him. He just had laser thearpy done a year ago to quit, and has not touched a smoke since. I hope he gets back to doing the things he enjoys again, he said his "wind" was a little better. He had me when he was very young, and is not real old, he is 65, I'm 45, with physical issues. What a pair we are. I miss the time Dad and I used to spend afield, and I'm know that smoking had something to do with it. I used to smoke myself, but got drunk one night about 20 years ago, smoked about 4 packs that night, and the next morning, with coffee, my wife ask if I wanted my Marlboro's, and I said yes, crunched up the pack, threw them in the garbage, and have not had one since. Now, I'm just a mere 50 lbs over weight. So all you dads who smoke, think about not being able to hunt with your sons or daughters. Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

The Butcher wrote:It may not bother the deer, but neither will the smokers, when they can't get to the woods anymore to hunt. My father, used to be an avid hunter and fisherman, he is now confined to a chair, or a short walk of 20 or so yards, before he tires out. If he would kill a deer, he would not have enough energy to even field dress it. He thought the smoking would never get him. He just had laser thearpy done a year ago to quit, and has not touched a smoke since. I hope he gets back to doing the things he enjoys again, he said his "wind" was a little better. He had me when he was very young, and is not real old, he is 65, I'm 45, with physical issues. What a pair we are. I miss the time Dad and I used to spend afield, and I'm know that smoking had something to do with it. I used to smoke myself, but got drunk one night about 20 years ago, smoked about 4 packs that night, and the next morning, with coffee, my wife ask if I wanted my Marlboro's, and I said yes, crunched up the pack, threw them in the garbage, and have not had one since. Now, I'm just a mere 50 lbs over weight. So all you dads who smoke, think about not being able to hunt with your sons or daughters. Butcher
I agree totally Butcher. I quit 12 years ago and never looked back. I never did smoke heavy thank goodness.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I lost my preciuos mother 4 years ago to emphazema and it was caused by smokin since 16..she was only 64. she loved the woods and always wanted me to bring my deer by to show her in her last days..It was sad to see her on a 50ft hose tryin to breath..she wanted to retire at 65 and go fishin with me and scoutin she wasnt into killin her meat but she loved the woods..I miss her alot. DAM cigerattes...I know it was her decision..Anyway I wish you guys that i concider my distant friends would stop as soon as you can...I know you love huntin more than that smoke..and I would hate to learn of the day you dont get to do what you love because of a smoke..Ok off my soap box now...take care fellas im out...........
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
dsr

Post by dsr »

Get off that weed. A pack a day would cost about the same as a new crossbow in 3-4 months. In a year they cost more than a damn good deer rifle. I tried them as a kid but said no thanks as I wanted the money to play pool,buy shot gun shells and fishing lures.
I used to teach public school.When my class discussed smoking a lot of the kids gave their parents a rough time when they figured out the $ cost--especially when they considered the amount of pizza their family could buy if their parents didn,t burn it up in smokes.
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I quit last year, and have been trying to convince my girlfriend to do the same. She has not had any since New Years Day. She knows it means a lot to me to have her quit, cause I'd rather have her around as long as I can. Plus there is the money saved.

The way I see it, instead of spending $7-$8 a pack, I can buy a box of ammo, a tape measure. 2 packs buys me a hammer. 12- 13 packs buys me an angle grinder. Stuff I can use to make money with!! Not the ammo :D ! Unless you guys have someone you would like me to take care of :wink: .
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"