noise

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Harry White

noise

Post by Harry White »

I have been shooting in my new Phoenix at 10 yards inside to start sighting it in. Yesterday was the first time outside at 20 yards. The bow shoots like a dream but seems to make a lot of noise. By old bow was a Barnett Revolution with noise suppression. Does anyone use any noise suppression and if so what type.
PRB

Post by PRB »

I went down this road as well as many others on here and it may be louder to you but it really makes no difference to the intended target (deer ect...) or not.
Some will argue this but I dont believe they have made a modern vertical compound yet that is quiet enough that a deer cant hear it and react if it feels its in danger.
Im saying I believe its a waist of money and time.
All crossbows make a substantial amount of noise. Some more than others. The main thing is that you bought a crossbow that with little maintenance will last you many years to come and combined with being the most accurate, most reliable crossbow in the world.
Welcome to the forum.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
PRB

Post by PRB »

Sorry I forgot to answer your question.
No I dont use any noise suppression of any kind.
Digger

Post by Digger »

I have wooden stocks for my Vixens and paradoxs, they seem to cut the noise almost by half, but its an expensive modification.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

digger-is that some kind of a mono/bi pod under your comp Xbow?
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
Digger

Post by Digger »

No that is a 3 rod stabilizer on the Paradox. I have a Steddy Eddy mono pod from Ten Point on my Vixen now.

Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
globemountain

Post by globemountain »

Digger wrote:I have wooden stocks for my Vixens and paradoxs, they seem to cut the noise almost by half, but its an expensive modification.

Those stocks are awsome!! Who makes them and how much are they.........
wabi

Post by wabi »

If you're shooting a Phoenix with DBs & pads installed it is about as quiet as they can get. A lot of the noise is transmitted to the shooter's ear by the stock, so it seems louder than it really is. Have someone else shoot both crossbows while you stand nearby & listen. I've even had someone else shoot for me while I stood out in front of the bow (off to the side and safely behind the corner of a building!) and compared. They aren't as bad as they sound when you're doing the shooting! But.... all crossbows are fairly loud, so for hunting he best plan is to get close - very close! - to the game. My last deer was 7 yards when I pulled the trigger, and she didn't have time to react to noise before the arrow was through her!
wabi
PRB

Post by PRB »

Digger wrote:I have wooden stocks for my Vixens and paradoxs, they seem to cut the noise almost by half, but its an expensive modification.
Wow I didnt realize those stocks seem reduced the noise by almost half.
Thats quite a big noise reduction...?
They are awesome looking thats fer sure 8)
globemountain

Post by globemountain »

wabi wrote:If you're shooting a Phoenix with DBs & pads installed it is about as quiet as they can get. A lot of the noise is transmitted to the shooter's ear by the stock, so it seems louder than it really is. Have someone else shoot both crossbows while you stand nearby & listen. I've even had someone else shoot for me while I stood out in front of the bow (off to the side and safely behind the corner of a building!) and compared. They aren't as bad as they sound when you're doing the shooting! But.... all crossbows are fairly loud, so for hunting he best plan is to get close - very close! - to the game. My last deer was 7 yards when I pulled the trigger, and she didn't have time to react to noise before the arrow was through her!
I agree. I sort of had an issue with the "noise" but I was comparing the sound a crossbow makes to the sound my Mathews bow makes when I shoot it. It just takes some getting used to. My Mathews is an arms length away from my ear and my Exocet is right beside my ear. The shooter perceives a crossbow as being LOUD.....but a verticle bow would seem LOUD too if it was right beside your ear.........
Digger

Post by Digger »

globemountain, posted by Mark Henager some time back:

All the laminates cost $225.00 us + shipping
Walnut $350.00 us + shipping
Maple $500.00 us + shipping

I think the laminate is the best bang for the buck, and its a lot easier to find.

Takes anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks to do one depending on how many i have to do when you order......and how many honey doo`s i have to do from the boss. Everyone has been very patient with me on delivery...thanks i appreciate that!!!!!! [/img]
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Harry Crabtree

Post by Harry Crabtree »

Digger, just curious but if you knew when you were getting your Excalibur that you'd be putting a wooden stock on it, can you just order it without the stock? I've already bought my Exomax with it but just thinking out loud. In case I get another in the future (yeah, I know....who needs another bow like who needs another rifle or who needs another pistol!), that might be a way to shave off a few bucks to put toward the wooden stock.
I always get the last words at my house, "Yes Dear"
BOB VANDRISH

Noise

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Digger,did you imbed or embed your bow into the wooden stocks with any foam,or removeable adhesive of any kind?
I bought one of Mark's laminated stocks,put it on,and found very little reduction in the sound.
I also put on dissipator arms and pads and tried vibration dampeners mounted underneath like you have in one of your set-ups,and still did not get much sound reduction,but lots of extra weight!
I took all these off and am now shooting without any sound reduction equipment on the bow.
When you are close enough,sound obviously does not matter.
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Bob. which Excal are you using? I have the wooden stocks on Vixens and Paradoxs and its a tight fit so the noise is reduced and they are only 150 & 175 lb bows. I have no other sound deadener between the stock and the rail other than Dbs onthe Vixen.

Harry, I don;t think you can buy an Excal W/O the stock,I had no plans on buying a stock from Mark when I got my Excals. I just swap stocks with the bow i'm ging to use. who needs another bow I have 4 Vixens and 2 Paradoxes now.
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

I noticed in the video that came with my Phoenix that almost every bow shown in the video had string silencers installed, although this wasn't mentioned at all.
Mine doesn't seem that loud at all, but then I've been shootin' a smokepole for a while.
Thwackem!