Off Season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chessy

Post by chessy »

So far I have done nothing... but that all changes this week I hurt my back real bad spent from Thursday after Christmas till Monday after new years in bed could not even get out of bed to go to the washroom :oops:

Starting this week I will be taking my trappers course.
I have also applied to be an instructor for the hunter safety course.
In all this I have to find time to keep the farmer happy, he is getting more permits to shoot nuisance deer: wink:

Then it will be turkey season
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

What do you mean by "off season"? :? There is always a season for something. Just sometimes you have to trade in the bow for a gun, rod, or something else :D . Personally, I love ice fishing. It is extremely relaxing and makes the cold winter months fly by. Then comes turkeys, then more fishing, and then hunting again. I better start emptying the freezer, so I can justify heading out again :wink: . :wink: :wink: Which reminds me......I gotta fire up the BBQ and throw on some deer steak I thawed. Nothing better!!!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

booked my position in the turkey course~~what can i expect?

SLIVER-keep us posted on what you find. I went out today and saw a buck still packin bone
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Mr. Dynamite wrote:booked my position in the turkey course~~what can i expect?

SLIVER-keep us posted on what you find. I went out today and saw a buck still packin bone
What you can expect within a week of hunting is a very bad case of the FEVER !!!!!!!!! Turkey fever that is :lol: :lol:

Actually the turkey course is a little boring and most hunters should know most of it before hand. But after reading some very serious saftey problems in some of the States and one paticular incident in Ontario last year, I think that it is necessary for the saftey aspect alone. Turkey hunting is a different kind of hunting, they will go over their habitate, feeding, how to ID the bird, how to look for sign and most importantly, SAFTEY.

As for what I will do in the off season, I have to agree with ecoaster, there is really no off-season, just another season and other ways to spend in the outdoors. If I can, a little ice fishing, turkey hunting, more fishing, camping in the summer, big trip camping, fishing hunting (3-4 weks) in september, archery for deer, moose gun more deer hunting. Hoping to get moose tag for archery during my big camping/hunting trip.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I like to do some hiking which ties in great with looking for dear and turkey, it also give me a chance to get the dog out. My wife and I cant wait to get our two boys camping, we have already booked the May longweekend, they love it!
Ronster

Post by Ronster »

I usually spend the beginning of the off season cleaning up and putting away the hunting gear. I took the string off my Phoenix. Since I lost my little boy this past December, I've been going at it kinda slow, mostly reflecting about the shooting and fishing we did this past season. About this time of year I would be planning on attending some hunting / fishing shows with my little boy. Everything is gonna be different now, so I'm just taking it one day at a time. Maybe this winter I'll find a good outfitter at a hunting show and plan a trip to Maine or Ontario this fall.
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

What you can expect within a week of hunting is a very bad case of the FEVER !!!!!!!!! Turkey fever that is
i'll just wait and see so far i only get that thinking about whitetailed deer with ANTLERS :mrgreen:
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
huntman

Post by huntman »

In the off season of deer, i will hunt turkey in may and in the summer will spend my time fishing, seadooing, target shooting, golfing, and spend much relax time up at the cottage. Towards the end of the summer i will be scouting and more importantly asking around for some permission to bow hunt in a few areas.
A.W

Post by A.W »

I'll be planting a couple of food plots on the property this Spring. That should keep me busy for 2-3 weekends.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
wilsonj73

Post by wilsonj73 »

Ice Fishing during the freeze, river fishing when it thaws, bass fishing around april, spring bear hunting, lake and river fishin in the summer, which leads into fall hunting again.

Outside of that, I play in a pipeband so I'm always practicing, have a young family so I'm always out with my boy and girl, skiing, camping, hiking, shed hunting, woodworking, target shooting, etc.

Just enough to keep me outta trouble ;-)

And hi y'all, been away for a while with a death in the family, etc.

Hope you all had a season to remember and one to look forward to.

Cheers!
Give a kid a fish and they'll eat for a day, teach a kid to fish and they'll eat for a lifetime!
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

After a long fall I reaquaint myself with my wife and kids, then work a lot of O/T to pay for my hunting habit, and I work out everyday to get in the best shape for the fall. Use to ice fish a lot but seems to have lost it's charm. Would be nice if Simcoe frozze though.
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

well for me its building 1/72 scale models until the spring turkey season startsa other that that work and chasing women. :D
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Got some rifle stock checkerin' jobs to do, target practice with my Phoenix, practice with my new Summit Viper climber, lookin' for sheds and scoutin' for new stand sites for the fall, fishin' for smallies in the creek in my back yard which means tyin' some more wooly buggers, shotgun practice for spring turkeys, maybe a little goose huntin'...

And a honey-do list about three pages long!
Thwackem!