New guy with new bow needs advice on bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RayGunter

New guy with new bow needs advice on bolts

Post by RayGunter »

Howdy there yall. New guy here names Ray. I just aquired a new Phoenix and know absolutely nothing about it. I'm a rifle person and this is my first xbow and it will be a hunter setup.

I bought the just the bow, no package, no accessories, just the bow. So I'm looking for advice on what to outfit it with. Quiver? Cocking asist? Sight pins or scope or red dot?

And what about the bolts. Is there any that stand out for this bow. I wouldn't mind extra quality in bolts to hunt with over what to practice with. I dont have a clue so I'm asking the experts.
Thanks,
Ray
[url=http://www.huntingfootage.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=782]Some short clips from my InfraRed Video Gamecam[/url]
Tom

Post by Tom »

Ray the rope cocker is a good accessory to invest in. This will help you in cocking the bow. For the bow to accuire the accuracy that every one expects out of an Excalibur product, the string has to be drawn back evenly, the rope cocking aid will do this for you automatically without you having to learn a tec. to do it by hand.

About the other accessories, that will all depend on what you are used to and or like. As for either peep/scope it is just your preference. There is already another thread on here talking about scopes so I will not go into depth on them. Quivers are again your choice, you can get the one that attaches to the bow or hip quivers to hold your arrows. Some on here do not like the quiver on the bow when shooting. I use the quiver, but remove it from the bow when I get to my hunting location or store it in my back pack.

About your arrows, you can get less quality arrows to plink with. But for my practice (into a good target) I use the same arrows (same weight) as I will be hunting with so I can learn or get used to the arrow trajectory. This is an important part of archery hunting, learning the arch or the arrow during flight (your sight window might not always be big enough for the arrow arch). The heavier the arrow, the greater the arch.

Hope this helps and is a start for you. Please feel free to ask more questions and lets us know more about what you like so others might be able to offer more advice.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
A.W

Post by A.W »

Welcome aboard Ray and congrats on your new investment. Great choice.

One of the main things to remember is NOT to let your thumb/fingers go above the rail when shooting the bow. You wont be a happy person if you do.

The Vari-zone scope allows you to dial the speed for the weight of the bolt you're shooting. It also gathers light quite well. Try and keep as close as possible to the bolt/broadhead that you will be hunting with when practicing.

While you're waiting for some more answers to your questions you can use the search engine for research.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
JCB

Post by JCB »

Ray: I just bought an Excalibur Exomax myself. I too have always been a rifle hunter.

But I can tell you where I got my stuff to outfit my new Excalibur.

I bought Excalibur's "The Right Stuff" accessory package from Terry's Archery online. and it had everything I really needed in it.

http://www.terrysarcheryplus.com/crossb ... alibur.htm

I thought $155 was expensive--but I have used everything in the package and I am glad I bought it--it was worth it!

I like the carbon bolts and everthing that came with 'the right stuff' package.

There is no way I could string or draw my 225 lb Exomax without this stuff and you get hunting broadheads and a nice quiver too.

Oh, and I got the Black Hole Target--seems to work OK but I haven't tried shooting a broadhead into it yet.

Another thing you need is an arrow puller that screws into the bolt. You can get that at Terry's too, I think.
Archery Season is so long--I had to buy a Crossbow!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Ray very nice videos.

May I ask what is your camera setup and how you ike it.

Thanks.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
RayGunter

Post by RayGunter »

Hey thanks for the responses. That accessory package looks like a pretty godd selection of whats needed.

Question: Does the Phoenix have standard or Molded limbs? I see different strings depending on that.
Thanks,
Ray
[url=http://www.huntingfootage.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=782]Some short clips from my InfraRed Video Gamecam[/url]
A.W

Post by A.W »

All the Excal models have magtips now.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
RayGunter

Post by RayGunter »

Tom wrote:May I ask what is your camera setup and how you ike it.
I like the cam alot. Little better perspective on the animals activity than just a still frame game camera. The camera is a modified Sony TRV-65 but the setup is a home build using components available off the net. The cam is modified to run with IR and it has an IR illuminator LED array for night time. The controller has an ir sensor that detects the animals and then communicates with the camera to start the record. I have a 30 sec record followed by a 10 min sleep mode. This is all configurable in the controller. I can fill a 2 hour tape in about 10-14 days full of 30 sec clips. 75% coons. But you never know what you'll see. Last year I had a real nice coon fight.
Thanks,
Ray
BigBear

Re: New guy with new bow needs advice on bolts

Post by BigBear »

RayGunter wrote:Howdy there yall. New guy here names Ray. I just aquired a new Phoenix and know absolutely nothing about it. I'm a rifle person and this is my first xbow and it will be a hunter setup.

I bought the just the bow, no package, no accessories, just the bow. So I'm looking for advice on what to outfit it with. Quiver? Cocking asist? Sight pins or scope or red dot?

And what about the bolts. Is there any that stand out for this bow. I wouldn't mind extra quality in bolts to hunt with over what to practice with. I dont have a clue so I'm asking the experts.

Hi, I also have a phoenix :D ..I shoot the gold tip laser 2's for hunting..for 3-D i shoot 2213's at 18 1/2" with 4" fletch...both bolts with a 125gr. tip...they fly just great, and do an awsome job!...As for the package, yes i would buy it, it has every thing that you would nead, and more :wink:
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
exocet

Post by exocet »

It looks as though Excalibur has chnged their scopes? Are those 2 new, or is the Varizone scope the newer one? Jack.
Digger

Post by Digger »

The Varizone is the newest scope from Excal. the older ones were the dropzone for bow that shot 250- 300 fps and the maxzone for 300-350fps bows.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
exocet

Post by exocet »

Thanks. I shot my buddies Exocet with the Varizone, great scope!! Jack.