Difference btwn field tips and broadheads POI

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JCB

Difference btwn field tips and broadheads POI

Post by JCB »

Bill Troubridge says in his intstructional video that the 100 grain Wasp Boss broadhead flys about the same as the 100 grain field tips included in his "Right Stuff" accessory package.

Can I expect the Wasp 100 grain Boss 3-blade to have the same Point Of Impact as the field tips?

Are there other broadheads that match field tip POI any better?
Archery Season is so long--I had to buy a Crossbow!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Don't know if "Are there other broadheads that match field tip POI any better?" but Montec G5's 3 blade and SlickTrick have same POI.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Tom

Post by Tom »

They should be close, very close to be exact but you should atleast try a few shots with the heads to make sure. I believe that when you shoot at an animal that you whould know exactly where you shot is going to hit. With these bows, they have the capability of being that accurate.

There are enough variables out there that can make a miss, you can easily eliminate one by knowing exactly where your hunting head will hit.

Hope this helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
JCB

Post by JCB »

Tom: I too believe that one should know exactly where the arrow will impact at a given range before one takes a shot at any living creature.

That is why I asked the question. I thought that those with lots of experience could tell me which broadheads correspond closely with field tip POI--so that I could try those broadheads first--instead of buying every broadhead made and testing them myself.

I realize too, that every bow shoots differently; but if I want to match my hunting broadheads to my practice tips as closely as I can, surely experienced crossbowmen would have some general idea of what broadhead would be best to start testing.

So, you guys who have been shooting Excal bows for a long time--what do you use for practice? And what do you use to hunt deer?
A.W

Post by A.W »

I prefer 2216 alum bolts with 100gr.Slick Tricks. For practice I use 100gr field points. Shoot pretty much the same.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Tom

Post by Tom »

JCB now your getting into a very delicate discussion area ..... hunting heads. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You will find that most on here are very passionate in the heads that they use. That is really a good thing, it proves that they are using heads that they totally trust.

There are many different heads out there that will shoot very close to the target or practice heads. Excalibur bows are generally a very accurate bow and shoot hunting heads with a great accuracy. I have found that in general, when you start going to the larger cutting Dia. heads is when you start to get wondering.

The head you mentioned is good, others claim the slick trick is also good. I personally use the NAP Spitfire mechanicals and their pracrice blades hit exactly where the hunting blades will hit.

Now you have the great time in trying to figure out what you like to use yourself. My advice to you is to try what you already have, or what you are comportable with and stay with it.

Good luck.
Tom
buckman

Post by buckman »

JCB, this was my first year hunting with a crossbow. I bought an Excocet200, I love it. To answer your ques. I used the Wasp Boss 100
They hit almost exactly the same as my feild points. I made 2 shots this season and killed 2 deer. neither one went more than 50 yrds.

Buckman :) :)
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I shoot the ExoMax and use 125 grain fieldpoints and 125 grain Slick Tricks. I want the extra weight for extra penetration on moose, etc.

You will be close enough to the same point of impact with either that only a fine adjustment, if any, would usually be required.

However, YOU DO NEED TO TEST BEFORE YOU HUNT!!!

I think the Slick Tricks come in a package of three, so it's not as though you have to buy the company's whole annual production if you decide to give them a try.

If you don't like them, you likely could get most of your money back reselling them here.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Bucktail

Field points and broadheads POI

Post by Bucktail »

After shooting my Max today with the GT2's with 100gr FP and 100gr Wasp Boss the POI is nearly hole on hole.

When I try the Slick trick 100gr I can't get the same results. I want to finish the season with the Wasp for this year, and I'll try the Tricks after the season. Two deer down for the count with the Boss's this year and two last year.

I keep hearing how good the Tricks are and wanted to give them a try. I know for sure they are harder to get out of the target.

Bucktail
htoler

Post by htoler »

I would think the montec`s would be a good one o start with because you can get their pratic point witch wre essentially the same as their hunting points so POI should be the same I have not gotten my bow yet in a couple weeks but am thinking to trying the Montec`s
ExCalibur ExoCet 200
Tenpoint ProElite
JCB

Post by JCB »

I really appreciate everyone's comments and experience. Thanks especially for those who commented on the Wasp Boss (the broadheads I already have). I will back up to about 30 yards today and shoot the Wasps some more to see if the POI is any different from the field tips and if so, I will adjust my sights again for the Wasps.

Yesterday I shot a Wasp at about 20 yards and the head popped right off the carbon arrow after the head cleared the backside of the BlackHole target! Perhaps the wall thickness of these carbon arrows is not thick enough to hold onto the broadheads on shortrange impacts on block targets.

Anyone know about that?
JCB

Post by JCB »

To follow up, I just put two 100 grain Wasp Boss shots into the same hole at 32 steps. They were perfectly centered in the target circle both 1" low. I will leave the sights right where they are now.

I think I am ready to hunt now.

Now all I need is for a doe to come and stand still and broadside to me at exactly 32 steps :lol: :twisted: !
Tom

Post by Tom »

JCB wrote:To follow up, I just put two 100 grain Wasp Boss shots into the same hole at 32 steps. They were perfectly centered in the target circle both 1" low. I will leave the sights right where they are now.

I think I am ready to hunt now.

Now all I need is for a doe to come and stand still and broadside to me at exactly 32 steps :lol: :twisted: !
I figured that the wasp heads would work extreemly well ......... because I know Excalibur recomends them and if they do, then they must be good. I also think that if the doe stands @ 35 yards you should be ok :wink: as well :lol: :lol: :lol: . Since you now have the confidence in your setup, you will be testing your archery hunting ability. That is getting them close enough and judging the distance correctly.

JCB about the other problem you have with the inserts coming out, a while ago some on here were questioning that very same thing. What has been said was that there must have been a glue problem at the factory. What they did was to expoxy the inserts back into the shaft and they were ok after that.

Hope this helps ya
Tom