Slick Trick Question?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Slick Trick Question?

Post by Normous »

Hi everyone my name is Norm and this is my first post and question.I have been hunting with Excaliburs since 1991.My older carved tip Exocet now sports newer Mag tip limbs,a homemade aluminum 1" riser extension to increase stroke, and homemade angled aluminum shims under the limbs to update it to the newest riser design.This set up cronographs Gold tipped 100gr tips through my Competitive Edge Dynamics Crono at 318 fps.This bow I shoot, while my wife shoots the new Max,and very well,I might add!
May I ask the more experienced Forum users that use Slick Tricks to advise me which broadhead might work best in our setups.I see 100grs come in 1" and 1 1/8".What do you recommend? Does anybody like the 85gr?
Thank-you so much.
eNORMous
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
BUCKSHOT

Just a thought!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Firstly welcome to the board!
Personnally I use the 100 grain because they match my field point weight and I don't need a different bolt set-up for hunting. There are very few minor adjustments required to go from the field point to the broadhead. And that head is quite adequate to do the job.
You probably know that you can mix and match your head and insert weights as well as your rear insert and fletching weights, to achieve your proper center of ballance based on the weight of the broadhead you choose
If you want to play with your bolts you can use which ever weight you like, but I haven't heard of too many guys going with the 85 gr for deer hunting.
Good fortune whichever way you go!
BTW bravo on the inventive upgrade! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Thanks Buckshot.
On the Slick Trick website I noticed the 100gr is available in 1" and 1 1/8" widths. Just wondering what you guys found to fly best,or is there no difference between the two in flight characteristics.
eNORMous
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

enormous, no difference just a bigger cut.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Hey norm I am a fellow essex county crossbow hunter. Do you hunt locally or out of the county.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Belleriver,I hunt Whitetail in two Ontario locations.One is 1 1/2 hrs from Windsor and the other is 4 hrs away below Owen Sound.Both locations are excellent.Never hunted in Essex County or in the States for deer.
Norm
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
speedball

Post by speedball »

Enormous, with the kind of k.e. that your excal produces i would personally shoot the 11/8" magnum slick trick, they produce unreal holes in whatever you shoot at, the only way i would switch to the 1" standard is if you were shooting at a moose or and elk for increased penetration, those broadheads were the best thing to come into archery,i.m.o. speedball........... :D
gone huntin never to return................
Normous

Post by Normous »

Thanks Speedball,I appreciate your reply!
eNORMous
Matrix 355
Boo Strings