What type of hunting jacket?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hikerman

What type of hunting jacket?

Post by hikerman »

Hi, I am looking to buy a hunting parka for late season deer hunting.
warm but very quite. This forum alwas has great advice I hope you guys can help. I don't want to spend good money on tiral and error method. Reading up on them thay all say they are quite, thanks!
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: I have the Remingon 6 in 1 parka and love it!!!!!!!!!! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
CRASHCOSBO

Post by CRASHCOSBO »

I have to agree with Mike...I borrowed Dad's remington 6 in 1 this fall and it beat my canadian tire coat all to heck...good buy
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness"
huntman

Post by huntman »

I have the browning 4 in 1 hydro suede parka. Jacket and pants... a little pricey but i would spend it all over again, infact this is my second browning suit!
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

I have the Predator Camo Warp Knit Parka and I'm very happy with it. It's very warm and very quiet. The outside has a fleece like texture to it.

http://www.predatorcamo.com/store/insul ... a_227.html
BOB VANDRISH

Hunting jacket

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I have been hunting for over 50 years,and the best bang for your buck in a hunting jacket is an all wool one.
I used to hunt in Vermont,and happened to be near Johnson,Vt,home of the Johnson Woolen Mill.
They sell both hunting jackets and matching pants,that I have found to be the best for quietness,and overall warmth.
I bought my first one over fourty years ago,and other than having the lining replaced,still use it today.
I found the pants too warm,and switched to using corduroy pants for sound reduction.
Woolrich make an equivalent coat.
Prices today from either company is around $175 US
If you want to go to the high end,Beagle also make a waterproof,windproof wool coat,but they are up around $450-500 Canadian.
I bought one of those this year too,as my nephew is the Canadian rep for them,near Cornwall Ont.
You cannot beat wool for sound reduction!
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
rutman

Post by rutman »

I agree, wool has to be excellent. Anything that is not waterproof and a total burr magnet is definitely the quietest. I have cabelas polar fleece jacket and pants. I've been wearing them in the cold weather with several layers of wool underneath for 15 years. They are warm and extremely quiet but they soak up dampness like a spunge and I think burrs actually take flight to them. I still wouldn't trade them on anything except a new version of the same.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
BOB VANDRISH

Hunting Jacket

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I should add that I also use layered clothing under my wool coat,depending on the outside temperature.
We usually plan to be out from dawn to dusk,so you need to prepare for every eventuality.
We pack everything we need,including food,etc,in a back pack and stay out the whole day.
Early season isn't as bad,but when you hunt northwestern PA in late Dec into Jan(late season),it can get mighty cold! (this year was an exception!)
Bob Vandrish.
rutman

Post by rutman »

From your profile, I gather that you are from Ontario. I was wondering how much it would cost for one of us to hunt a place like PA?
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
BOB VANDRISH

Hunting jacket

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Rutman,a non resident license for PA will cost you $102 US.(last year's cost)
All you need is proof of a license from another state or province,or proof of having taken a course.
In order to get your guns and ammo across,you have to apply to the US ATF(Alcohol,Tobacco and Firearms) to get their form,and register any gun and ammo,along with a copy of the hunting license.
You can send it by fax,or snail mail.
That takes about six weeks to get the approval.
On top of that,due to the recent issue of CWD(Chronic Wasting Disease),the Ontario govt will not allow you to bring a full carcass across the border.
It has to be completely deboned and none of the spine,horns,hide will be allowed into Ontario.
Prior to this year,bringing a deer across was a "ho hum" non issue,as half the time they did not even want to see the animal.
If you are serious about hunting down there,why not PM me,and we can go from there.
Bob Vandrish.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Cabelas Gore -Tex MT050 Thinsulate can't be beat here in Ontario Late season.Just awsome in my opinion.
eNORMous
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

I have to agree with the Remington 6 in 1 parka. I picked one up from Walmart last fall. I was nver cold once this season. Great jacket and at a decent price.