Home-made ground blinds

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Home-made ground blinds

Post by ninepointer »

I have a spot picked out for next season that is better suited for a ground blind than a tree stand. I intend to make a ground blind early in September (perhaps made of burlap and branches) and leave it there all season. I'd love to see some pics of home-made ground blinds to get some ideas.

Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
huntman

Post by huntman »

i would suggest a amstead outhouse then a blind made of branches. just my two cents!
Tom

Post by Tom »

ninepointer I hunt mostly from the ground. I nake many different type of ground blinds. I have a fast set-up fence style camo material blind that just goes around you where ever you want it (3-4 foot stakes holds the material). This is real good in a new area or a fast setup if you move a distance from where you normally go. I also have a pop-up blind, but I find that they are good in some areas and not so good in others.

I also like to make up blinds out of fallen trees and branches. If there are down branches or trees in the area, use then as they will not look out of place. But I have found that these type blinds need about 4-8 weeks for the animals to start being calm around them. I guess there is too much disturbance in the area moving all the branches.

Another thing that I have found that works real well is to just sit up against a tree, or back part way into a ceader or pine, just making sure your body outline is covered. But these last set-ups reqires a very still hunter, very little movement at all.

Hope these help you.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

In the weeks before Christmas there are sales of imitation pine branches for decoration around the house. I found these are good for cover. I attach them to chicken wire and staple it to 4 ft stakes that can be bought bulk at most Lumber stores. Pull the stakes, roll it up and move to another area without much trouble.
My neighbour found a couple of imitation Christmas trees that people had thrown out after Christmas and he kept them and used the branches for a groud blind the next year.
Rather than taking live branches that will eventually turn colour, these last for years...and don't end up in the landfill sites...
Just my two cents...
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I decided against a pop-up/doghouse blind for 2 reasons; First, I want the blind to be there all the time so that the deer are accustomed to it and I don't want to risk a stolen blind. Second, the bedding and feeding areas are not far apart, so I need to get settled in with zero noise and zero set-up.

Good point Tom, I do have a nice wide tree to sit against, but I want to add some cover in front of me. Perhaps I'll build a brush pile this winter and re-touch it before the next deer season.

Ninepointer
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Hockeyfodder,

I've been on the lookout all winter for old artificial Christmas trees. Seems I used see them everywhere along curbsides, but when you want one you can't find one! :lol:

Ninepointer
shifty

Post by shifty »

A natural ground blind out of material around you is excellent. Maybe make a couple incase the wind shifts but do it now instead of september otherwise you disturb the deer too much. I used to use a pop up blind now i only use it for rainy days when i still want to hunt. I hunt on the ground with a ghillie sniper suit now and dont have to worry about a ground blind anymore.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have a small blind made up of die-cut camo material fastened to fiberglass? stakes about 30" long. Just unroll it and stick the stakes in the ground. Very lightweight & portable. I'm now working on a seat to fit the height of the material better than my folding stool which is really a bit too tall for the blind. I found a wedge shaped turkey hunting cushion in my hunting "stuff" the other day and had the bright idea of adding a couple layers (3 or 4 inches total) of rigid foam to the bottom to elevate it slightly to give me a better view. Picked up some scrap foam on a construction site where I'm working this week, so maybe I'll get it made this weekend.
In drizzly weather I can use my "porta-roof" camo umbrella if I need it.
The fixed tree stands were not much use this year, as the deer changed patterns completely when the acorns started faiing, and are still feeding on acorns! I can watch them from my buddy's "outhouse" blind, but the thing's just too small to shoot the Phoenix out of.
wabi
Tom

Post by Tom »

Wabi have you ever tried these seats. They have been made for turkey hunting to get you lower to the ground.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... sults1.jsp

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... sults1.jsp

I have the second one and love it. The legs on one side are shorter then the other to enable you to get real close to a tree. If you need a backrest like on the first one you can get something like this next link that works well. I have used it in a boat, with my turkey seat and also like it.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/ ... earch=true

Hope this might help ya.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]