Grey Owl's Buffalo Hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREY OWL

Grey Owl's Buffalo Hunt

Post by GREY OWL »

Finally I've got the pictures downloaded. Here they are.

First three pictures are me walking in the bush trying to find the buffalo's.

The next two pictures, if you look real close there's buffalo's in there somewhere, likely can't see them.

He's down, finally.

Grey Owl

Not sure why the last pictures all of a sudden got bigger, got technical help on the way.

Here's the story.

Woke up to a fridged -27C in the morning, later warmed up to -21C, with the wind in the open it was cold, dam COLD

When I got to the farm there were 4 other hunters after Wild Boars, they spent 2 1/2 days hunting them, and only got one shot. Those pigs are hard to kill in the winter, especially when they know their hunted, of course they were moving the Buffalo around also. After about 1 1/2 hours I did get close once, got to about 40 yards. I could only see one buffalo through the thick under brush, took a shot through a narrow opening and caught a twig on its way, missed completely. At about 3:00 P.M. my camera man and myself teamed up with the 4 other hunters to do a push through a meduim size bluff to maybe chase some pigs out to two waiting hunters. Just as we got there one guy waved to me there was buffalo just inside the bush. I snuck up, saw the three of them about 60 yards in. I crouched down low, slowly went in to about 40 yards. Kelly whispered from behind, 35 to 40 yards. I put the 40 yard pin on him and let go. Kelly said he saw the arrow going high, then starting to come down right on the Buffalo, square into the lungs. When that bolt nailed the buffalo there was a loud WHACK, as it punctured the very thick and tough hide. All three Buffalo's went out the other end on a dead run, almost running over two other hunters on the other side. I could see the buffalo I hit running through the other side, out back into the opening. Man can they run, when scared !!! He ran a good 250 yards before I could see his back end starting to weaken, shortly after his back legs gave out, and he was down. Immediately the other two Buffalo started to bump him to get him up, a few minutes later they took off. When all 6 of us approached the downed Buffalo, he was already dead.

When we got him back to the yard, we opened him up and saw what the damage was. The arrow cleanly went right into him taking out both lungs. The arrow nicked the first rib, through both lungs, and coming to rest against the hide on the inside, but not completely through. When he was running I could see about 4 inches of fletching sticking out. After about 30 yards the arrow came out in two pieces, with the broadhead sheared off still inside him. These Buffalo have extremely thick and tough hides, the Slick Trick snapped off right at the threads, which were still in the arrow. I retrieved the Slick Trick in pieces between the ribs and hide on the other side. Should of gone with a least 125 grain Slick Trick for better penetration.

The hunt was a great experience one that I recommend for any Xbow hunter. One sad note though, which I already knew; Buffalo are extremely social animals. They need more than just two of them to be happy. (The two surviving ones went nuts the next day.) That same night I shot mine, the other two were seen bedded in a slough not far from the cabin. The next day (Sunday) a snowmobiler saw these two guys jump completely over the fence and were gone. They were found 15 miles away in a farmers field. They were a mission to find more Buffalo, to be back in a herd again. On Monday, Kelly had no choice but to put down the remaining two, both were shot and slaughtered, but not before running 4-5 more miles. I phoned him tonight, he had already sold one and half another one sold.

Can't wait to sink my teeth into Buffalo burgers and steaks.

Grey Owl
Last edited by GREY OWL on Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gad

Post by gad »

Nice, nice, nice!

How about the arrow configuration, bow and penetration?
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D :D Wow !!! that is one big animal , great photos , what head did you use , and how far of a shot GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Nothing like the sight of nice red blood in the snow. Good Job! After you have some steaks, you will realize what a great waste it was, when the Buffalo hunters hunted the beast almost to extinction, just for the hide. I've eaten it before, and done medium, is very, very good. Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
bushmaster

Post by bushmaster »

Looks like you had a great hunt !! Congrats !! :D
black martin

thanks

Post by black martin »

Very good photo's and congrates on a great animal. Thanks for sharing your experience.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Congrats. and thanks for the pictures :D :D
PRB

Post by PRB »

Wow !!! That is super great 8) 8)
A big congratulations to your successful hunt.
Im very happy for you. Im sure it must have been a HUGE thrill.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

Very nice!..Congrats..BB
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
huntman

Post by huntman »

Looks like you had a great time... congrats on your harvest. Must of had a nice time draging that thing :wink:

Nothing beats an outfitter for big big game!!
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Great story, great pictures, excellent shooting and soon to be good eating.
It don't git no better.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
mikew

Post by mikew »

Tar Heel wrote:Great story, great pictures, excellent shooting and soon to be good eating.
It don't git no better.

Tar Heel
Tar Heel said it well...

Congrats Grey Owl!

-Mike
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Big Congrats.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
shifty

Post by shifty »

Nice buff congradulations! A little disapointed with the slick tricks comin apart like that. should try montecs, I'll garuntee those blades wont fall off.
maple

Post by maple »

GREY OWL,

HHHooooEEEE!!! What a blast :!:

Wish I was there watching that. Thanks for the great story and pics.
It was almost as good, 'cept for the eatn' part.

How much does he weigh? He looks HUMUNGUS!!!

Maple