you canadian guys should know

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BUCKSLAYER

you canadian guys should know

Post by BUCKSLAYER »

ok im from pennsylvania,im planning a hunt of a lifetime in the next year or so i gotta save up,anyways id like to hunt for monster whitetails,160 and up,,in planning on going to canada somewhere any recs or outfitter recs??any help would be greatly appreciated..im thinking manitoba or sasaktoon??[spelling]
bushmaster

Hunts

Post by bushmaster »

Both provinces would be good choices...Saskatchewan, btw...but you need to check fast as I wouldn't be surprised if the outfitters are already booked for next fall. Do you ever go to the sportsman/hunt show in Harrisburg...you could likely talk to some outfitters there. But I would start now with an online search for an outfitter.
xboman

Saskatchewan would be my choice

Post by xboman »

Saskatchewan is #1 for the most entries listed in the Boone and Crockett Club record book.

As of September 1985, 322 Boone and Crockett whitetails have been taken there over the years.

31 of them in 1984 alone.

Need I say more.
Rick Teal

Post by Rick Teal »

You'd better check the legality of crossbows if you're planning to hunt the west. I understand some of the provinces don't allow them as archery equipment. You'd have no problem if you planned to hunt the lakehead area in Ontario though.
I hunt, therefore I am.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Like Rick says.....

Most provinces do allow Xbow hunting in the rifle season, though. I know Manitoba does. Someone posted earlier that Alberta does. Ask our fellow member,Grey Owl, about Saskatchewan. He lives there, and hunts there also, so they must allow it!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

You can hunt with xbows from Oct. 01 and beyond, not September. But you know what, who wants to hunt in Sept., too many mosqitoes, heat, and leaves on trees. The bucks move way better in Oct. than Sept. anyway.

As for Outfitters, contact Lonewolf, he's been scouting out Outfitters for awhile now. I think he's on a waiting list for Jim Shockey's camp, not sure.

Unfortunately Americans need Licensed Outfitters, Canadians can hunt anywhere at will. Lots of good hunting country, with no one to bother you.

Grey Owl