New Camless Bow --Vertical

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

New Camless Bow --Vertical

Post by Farmer »

New Camless bow coming on the market called the Phoniex by a company called monsterbows. There is also a number of forums on their site that would be of interest to most archers. MonsterBowInc specializes in Oniedas but will work on any brand.
If you want to have a look here is a link
www.monsterbows.com
widowman

Post by widowman »

It looks like; Monster Bows(Camless) is to Onedia Bows as Middleton Crossbows is to Excalibur Crossbows.
TYE

Post by TYE »

widowman wrote:It looks like; Monster Bows(Camless) is to Onedia Bows as Middleton Crossbows is to Excalibur Crossbows.
First thing I thought also.
JeffOwens

Post by JeffOwens »

Looks just like an onieda - has anyone shot an oneida? I have seen em but never had one in my hands before.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Jeff I shoot an Oneida ( as well as a Darton ), probably the smoothest drawing bow I have ever shot. The guys running MBI started out offering repair, upgrade and super tunning services for any make of Bow but they specailize in Oneida.
arbalest

MONSTER BOWS

Post by arbalest »

"It looks like; Monster Bows(Camless) is to Onedia Bows as Middleton Crossbows is to Excalibur Crossbows."
You make that sound like it is a bad thing. As long as Monster OR Middleton are not violating any existing patents, more power to them. Remember, every compound bow manufacturer had to pay a license fee to Mr. Allen for every compound bow built, until the Allen patents expired. Do you think the industry would have been better served, if ONLY Allen had been permitted to manufacture compound bows? Excalibur makes an outstanding crossbow product. There is no argument, there. BUT, whatever patents were granted to the folks at Excalibur will expire after a finite number of years. After that, anyone may freely manufacture a product based on those expired patents. Hopefully, the market will force improvements on the Excalibur clones, resulting in a truly new product. Do not belittle someone who is trying to profit from expired patents. That is one way that premium priced products become available to those with less disposable income.
widowman

Post by widowman »

My statement was neutral. If it came out negative it was only YOUR interpretation.

I only stated the obvious. They are both clones.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I believe the design was never carried over by the new owner of Oneida (bought by Claude Pollington ) Loomis the prevous owner of Onieda started a new company called Firebrand Technologies .

It sounds as if Firebrand was having quality problems and may be out of business. The phoniex by monster bows seems to have overcome some of the quality and technical problems experienced by Firebrands. They may have other changes to the bow. I see in the photo there is a Patent Pending on their bow.

I like the look of the bow and with no cams to go out of time it should be easy to tune. It is hard to beat the looks of a recurve limbed bow!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Very good looking bow, and interesting concept.
I like the idea, but I wonder if the total weight of the bow could be reduced? I just don't like to hold much weight. After shooting longbows and recurves for so many years, every time I try a compound I find myself dropping my bow arm on release after a few shots, and the added weight soon induces wobble for me.
Another thing that might take some getting used to is the arrow between the cables. How do you load an arrow? I'd think it might get scary if you try to pass a sharp broadhead between the cables :shock:
wabi
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Hi Wabi, from what I have read you would load the arrow from the front , many 3d shooters already nock the arrow in the same manner . The spec sheet on the site says it weighs 5 # with sight , stabilizer ,arrow rest and 3 arrow quiver. I understand there is quite a following that like to shot this style of bow instinctively

Bstout the Oneida can be quieted down quite nicely, this is something MBI has found fixes for. These guys are pretty passionate about archery but they live Oneida. My Stealth is set @57# 29 inch DL. with a 55/75 GT w/100gr. point it flings an arrow at 261 fps with 90% letoff.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

bstout no offence taken, everyone has got a preference . I like to try different things. Variety is the aspice of life . I am still waiting to find the perfect bow. Well my Exocet is real close.

When Mathews started with their perimeter weighted cam I tried it and hated it. It was suppose to be soooo smooth ------NOT------my old Darton 60 MC was as good ( that bow ruined alot of rotator cuffs ) Just tried a new SwitchBack XT, now that bow is smooth quiet and no hand shock. If I was in the market for one I would probably get it.

I have a thing for recurve limbs (like our excaliburs ) and with the Oneida design I can tear the bow down with out a bow press, and string changes are easy. I can always carry a shot in spare with me.
fishon

Post by fishon »

Hello all,

That cam lessbow has been around for sometime with Oneida, I believe more than 5 years.
As for Oneida's, I have owned 3 and currently still have a Black Eagle, I went to an Oneida after major shoulder trouble 12 years ago. Without a doubt the absolute smoothest drawing bow on the market. They a very accurate and hard hitting bow, that can be made much quieter.
I was going to have my Black Eagle sent to Monster Bows where they do good work to them, but my shoulder made me get an exocet.

Mike