Feathers, or Vanes?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PRB

Post by PRB »

BigBear wrote: Hi PRB..no testing as of yet...but shooting feathers before, i'm sure they well fly just great 8) ...i'm shooting GT's at 18.5grs with a front brass insert, and 100gr slick tricks..(385-387grs) total weight...
I also found that feathers are much easier to fletch than vanes :shock:
They turned out just great...
When I test them, I'll let you know :wink: ..BB
That sounds great. Let us know how it turns out :D Your not by chance having fun are you ??? :wink:
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

PRB wrote:
BigBear wrote: Hi PRB..no testing as of yet...but shooting feathers before, i'm sure they well fly just great 8) ...i'm shooting GT's at 18.5grs with a front brass insert, and 100gr slick tricks..(385-387grs) total weight...
I also found that feathers are much easier to fletch than vanes :shock:
They turned out just great...
When I test them, I'll let you know :wink: ..BB
That sounds great. Let us know how it turns out :D Your not by chance having fun are you ??? :wink:
Hi PRB..doing 300fps+ :) ..did some testing at work today, and these things really hit the nail on the head!..very good groups out to 40yds...did'nt have the chance to shoot beyond that today :( ...the shooting was done indoors, and I'm very happy with the tighht groups out to that range...(using the 100gr, slicks)
Seeya..BB
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
wabi

Post by wabi »

BigBear,
I shoot 18.5" goldtips with a brass inset and 4" parabolic feather fletching.
With 100 grain points arrow weight is just under 380 grains. They chronographed at 296 fps out of my Phoenix with excel string. I also have some goldtips fletched with vanes that I shortened to 18.5" & weighted the point inserts to match the weight of the others. Accuracy is great with either, but I prefer the feathers. (probably because I'm older than the invention of plastic vanes :lol: )
wabi
engineman

FEATHERS, OR VANES

Post by engineman »

Here is a different set-up. 20" XX75 2219 with 4" Quick-spin vanes and 125 grain Montec G5. Shoots very good out of my Phoenix. I could not get the Gold Tips with vanes and 100 grain tips to group to my satisfaction. I tried 125 grain G5 and still not what I was expecting. Gold Tips with feathers and G5's group almost the same as the XX75's.
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

I use to use feathers but found them to be noisy and not very weather proof. I switched to vanes and just prefer the durability of them. Feathers are a bit more accurate though.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
Tom

Post by Tom »

schnarrfuss wrote:I use to use feathers but found them to be noisy and not very weather proof. I switched to vanes and just prefer the durability of them. Feathers are a bit more accurate though.
Feathers are more noisy but veins are noisy too. IMO at 30 - 40 yards, noise is noise. Loud noise or very loud noise will both get the animals attention. Just like the arrow has more noise in travel then my dad's 185lb exomag when shot.

The veins are a little more durrable then feathers but they also weigh more. A feathered arrow will travel faster then a veined arrow of the same build coming out of the bow. But the feathers have more drag (which makes them more accurate) so they will slow down faster then an arrow with veins. Again, IMO, at 40 yards or less, their speeds will still be a little faster then veins. The difference in speed is not really that much that you should worry about.

Hope this helps someone.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

feathers get my vote. been using them for a long time. and i have wild turkey feathers on mine. i even need to have a dozen or so refletched
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

wabi wrote:BigBear,
I shoot 18.5" goldtips with a brass inset and 4" parabolic feather fletching.
With 100 grain points arrow weight is just under 380 grains. They chronographed at 296 fps out of my Phoenix with excel string. I also have some goldtips fletched with vanes that I shortened to 18.5" & weighted the point inserts to match the weight of the others. Accuracy is great with either, but I prefer the feathers. (probably because I'm older than the invention of plastic vanes :lol: )
.. :lol: :lol:
Sounds good Wabi :wink:
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
speedball

Post by speedball »

Feathers are my choice even though both my bolts and my arrows on the vert bow have vanes right now i will re-fletch to feathers, i just use some wisker bisquit waterproofer on them about a month before season and again half way through, this seems to work very well :wink: :D
gone huntin never to return................