Dick Cheney looking for new hunting partner

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

A.W

Post by A.W »

A habitat stamp by any other name is still a licence to hunt. No stamp. No hunt.

poaching
Encyclopædia Britannica Article

in law, the shooting, trapping, or taking of game or fish from private property or from a place where such practices are specially reserved or forbidden.

Until the 20th century most poaching was subsistence poaching—i.e., the taking of game or fish by impoverished peasants to augment a scanty diet.

I suggest that the "Reserved" part includes the requirement of a "Habitat Stamp".
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
speedball

Post by speedball »

ya now the guy had a heart attack, cheney ought to get charged for that stunt
gone huntin never to return................
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

There is a pellet stuck in the guys heart and that caused him to have a heart attack. A minor heart attack but still this is a very serious situation. I think if I were to have made this mistake and also not have had the proper licence I would be charged.
CYCLONE

Post by CYCLONE »

[quote="bstout"]Cyclone: He shot another man while hunting illegally. You call it what you like.

I can't argue with that, no crooked tongue with that statement.

The V.P. forked out $125 for a NR license but felt the $7 habitat was to steep to pay at the time. He is a worth over $100,000,000 but it must have been allocated some where else at the time eah?. Poor judgement and an accident, hell yes, but a Poacher in the true sense of the word, not hardly.
If you can't Dodge It, Ram IT
countryrebel

Post by countryrebel »

bstout wrote:There is no excuse for this kind of behavior. The people involved should have to attend a hunter safety course. This will never happen. It'll be shined on same as every other mistake these folks have made.

At least this time it was with a single individual and not another country.
IT WAS AN ACCIDENT YOU LIB.Dont sit there and tell me you have never had an accident before(SOMETHING THAT YOU DID NOT DO ON PURPOSE)
Tom

Post by Tom »

It very well could be an accident, BUT THAT DOES NOT LET HIM OFF THE HOOK.

In my opinion I do not care of who you are, you must have control of your gun at ALL times. You must always know your target before you pull the trigger. My understanding that this was in a field, there was no bush restricting his view.

Again in my opinion, this was strict careless use of a gun. That is he pulled on an animal or bird without checking the area behind the intended target before he pulled the trigger. Someone mentioned earlier, where was the dog? Well if it was my dog, I would not work him with people that do not check before they shoot.

Just my opinion !!!!!!!!
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Blame the guy who was shot for "sneaking" up behind them? That's ridiculous!! Maybe it wasn't the most brilliant move on his part, but it sounds as though someone got tunnel vision. The shooter is at fault, plain and simple.

As a responsible hunter you have to look beyond your target, and to the sides before pulling the trigger. You have to be aware of who is around you and where they are. "We all have accidents" doesn't cut it if the man dies. It doesn't cut it if he lives. We have the ability to make split second decisions. We also have the ability to prevent things like this from happening by deciding not to shoot behind us. What's behind you is a big blindspot. So if you decide that you are going to swing on a covey of birds that have flown behind you you NEED to check your blindspot before you pull the trigger!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Digger

Post by Digger »

Updated: 4:05 p.m. ET Feb. 15, 2006
WASHINGTON - Vice President Dick Cheney on Wednesday accepted full blame for shooting a fellow hunter and defended his decision to not publicly disclose the accident until the following day. He called it “one of the worst days of my life.”

“I’m the guy who pulled the trigger that fired the round that hit Harry,” Cheney told Fox News Channel in his first public comments since the shooting Saturday in south Texas.

Fox’s Brit Hume, who conducted the interview, said Cheney told him he had “a beer” with lunch hours before the accident. Hume said Cheney told him “no one was drinking” while hunting.

Cheney described seeing 78-year-old Harry Whittington fall to the ground after he pulled the trigger while aiming at a covey of quail.

“The image of him falling is something I’ll never ever be able to get out of my mind,” Cheney said. “I fired, and there’s Harry falling. It was, I’d have to say, one of the worst days of my life at that moment.”

Cheney was soft-spoken and somber during the interview.

'It was not Harry's fault'
“You can talk about all of the other conditions that exist at the time but that’s the bottom line and — it was not Harry’s fault,” he said. “You can’t blame anybody else. I’m the guy who pulled the trigger and shot my friend.”
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
JeffOwens

Post by JeffOwens »

I guess Cheney's father did not teach him how to safely use a firearm. It's a shame he didn't because this would easily be prevented.

Where I come from, we are taught to look before we fire, and never to point your weapon at something you don't intend to shoot.

I guess Cheney is the type that would shoot at a bush resulting and watch a hunter drop, he isn't the only one and it's because of people like Dick Cheney I won't be hunting on public lands.

You can say all you want about the guy "sneaking up behind him" or whatever you want. But it's plain and simple, you do not shoot a weapon with out identifying your target and shooting lane.

I think the people in this thread who are supporting Cheney are doing so for political reasons and not thinking reasonably about what happened.

Had it been anyone else, I have a feeling their story would be different.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

awesome picture of the deer
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

All I have to say, GOOD THING IT WASN'T A EXCALIBUR XBOW !!!!!!!!

Grey Owl