Hunting Jacks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

pphoenix, nice catch.

One question, I thought we had to wear Hunting blaze orange when hunting small game?

Could never figure it out in the Ont. Regs. So I wore it a couple of weekends ago when I went rabbit hunting, my first time small game hunting as a non-resident, in Ontario.

If not necessary then I will not wear it or bother carrying it to the area hunted.
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
A.W

Post by A.W »

LeGrand wrote: One question, I thought we had to wear Hunting blaze orange when hunting small game?

If not necessary then I will not wear it or bother carrying it to the area hunted.
Hunting Regs. page 20 para 5.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/hunti ... al_eng.pdf
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

LeGrand wrote:pphoenix, nice catch.

One question, I thought we had to wear Hunting blaze orange when hunting small game?

Could never figure it out in the Ont. Regs. So I wore it a couple of weekends ago when I went rabbit hunting, my first time small game hunting as a non-resident, in Ontario.

You don't have to wear Hunter Orange here in Ontario for small game!

I hunt just north west of Waterloo and there are ALOT of Jacks in my area. Also, if you are looking for somewhere good try the Arthur, Conn, Mount Forest area...lots of good hunting up there.

I am trying to get some guys or for Saturday but not having much luck!.

Ryan
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

Ryan, thanks for the info.

As for the organized hunt in Waterloo, well I'm on the other side of the Ottawa River near Ottawa, so Waterloo is a little far for me.

Good luck in your hunt.
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
Tom

Post by Tom »

If you are hunting small game During the big gun season for deer or Moose, you will NEED to wear orange.

Any other time you will not have to wear orange.

The rule in general is that you (all hunters) have to wear hunter orange if you are hunting in the gun season for deer or moose. You also have to wear hunter orange if your hunting bear and on the ground. Once you get into a tree stand, you can remove the orange.

Hope this helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
TYE

Post by TYE »

Tom wrote:
TYE wrote:I didn't think we were allowed to hunt Jackrabbits in Ontario, I thought only cottontails. :?
The first hunting trip I took was after jack rabbits. All rabbits (cotton Tail rabbit, jack rabbit,& Snowshoe) in Ontario is legal to hunt.
DAMN! I could of had 4 jackrabbits with my crossbow one day last year!
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

we went to the town of Elmira, i'm not sure if that's how it's spelled, but it sounded like that.
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

I really agree with some of your comments.
snow shoes would have really helped me, and i wouldn't have been sore the day after.
the idea of dragging the jacks also sounds good, because i carried 2 of them and it's really hard to walk with them on your back.
thanks guys, always learning that's why i like this forum.
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
Jackhunter

Post by Jackhunter »

Hey PPhoenix, great pics! Where do you go to get all those Jacks? Are they pretty plentiful in that area? Do you usually get that many each time you go?

Mario