I hunt Kangaroos

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tommy-SKIL-Figure

I hunt Kangaroos

Post by Tommy-SKIL-Figure »

G-day everybody,

i was just after some advice on my first crossbow purchase. I have done all the nescessary research as to whats good and whats not and decided that i want to go for a recurved crossbow which has led me to choose from the best.....EXCALIBUR CROSSBOWS.

Down here in Australia i do plenty of rifle hunting for deer, kangaroos and goats and i was wondering what crossbow i should go for in the EXCALIBUR range, wether it be the exomat with the 200 lbs draw weight or the phoenix with a 175 lbs draw (not the exomax, too powerfull for a first bow i would assume).

Please keep in mind that kangaroos are as powerfull as a deer. From experience at shooting them with a rifle they like to run/hop, and run/hop far after being shot at times (depending on the quality of shot).

So any advice to help me make my final verdict on what to purchase would b fantastic.

Tom
mikew

your choice

Post by mikew »

Hi Tommy,

First, Welcome to the forum!

Now, I'm an Excal newbie myself, but I've read enough to know that even the Vixen is a fine deer crossbow.

In general, for deer-sized game, the higher weight bows only make you go farther to retrieve your bolt after it passes through the animal. It's all about shot placement and no crossbow wis like a rifle - it's a bow.

Having said that, the next consideration is your ability and comfort level in drawing the bow - it's a good bit easier to draw the Phoenix at 175lbs than the Exomax at 225 lbs. And, that will likly result in more practice shots being taken with a lower draw weight.

Incidentally, here in the states, some states limit the draw weight to 200lbs for some reason.

In short, pick whichever you like. There are owners of them all here and I'd guess you'll get Exomax owners saying t get Exomax, Phoenix owners saying get the Phoenix, etc. :)

I actually have a 185lb Exomag (I think the predecessor to the Exomax) that I bought from another forum member. Had I not bought used, I was having a tough time myself choosing between the Phoenix and the Exocet.
If it not for my dream of hunting larger game someday, then the phoenix was *my* clear choice.

Anyway - A lot of words to say "I don't know", huh? :lol:

Have a great day, and hopefully someone else will chime in here with more info.
-Mike
Tommy-SKIL-Figure

thanks Mike

Your advice was a great help. I appreciate getting a reply within only half an hour of my origonal post, that's fantastic.

What i find amazing is that a bolt will actually have the ability to pass through an animal as tough as a deer.

I have read many articles in magazines and on the internet and realised that even with a draw weight of 150-175 pounds (in contrast to one of 200-225 pounds) the arrow will still have the ability to pass clean through an animal. I found it hard to comprehend these claims at first but the way you put it as 'the higher weight bows only make you go farther to retrieve your bolt after it passes through the animal' it has become more real to me.

I will definately keep your advice in mind when I go shopping for my crossbow.

Tom
Ambition is the excuse for those who do not have the guts to be lazy
wabi

Post by wabi »

Never shot a kangaroo, but I'd think the Phoenix would be plenty. Not like rifle hunting where shock from bullet impact does the damage, but archery depends on blood loss to make the kill in most cases. To be effective a very sharp broadhead is the secret, and all the bow has to do is get the arrow to the blood vessels & organs (vitals) with enough energy to penetrate. On most soft-skinned game even the Vixen provided more than enough energy. A properly placed arrow is the key to quick kills, and any of the Excaliburs are extremely accurate!
wabi
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I agree the Phoenix would be the one I would go with. It's a nice compact bow and it won't kill you to cock it. Its easier on strings and for what you want it for it would more then do the job.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

tommy the phoenix probably is more than enough, but if you were to go with the exocet or exomax, cocking it wouldn't be a problem, using the crank or even just the cocking rope that cames with package it's very easy cocking it, i own a phoenix and have no problem shooting it or even cocking it by hand, by i've been told not to cock it just by hand, using the rope you'll get a more even placed string.
anyways any of the recent models will do the job.
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
hawg hunter

kang eroos

Post by hawg hunter »

don't know too much about hunting "roos" but can speak first hand about a elk shot at 30 yds. and the arrow was lodged in tree 40 yds. further. hard to beleive but true. 175# exocet , gold tip w/100 grain Montec brass inserts. "hawg hunter"
TCAA

Re: I hunt Kangaroos

Post by TCAA »

Tommy-SKIL-Figure wrote:G-day everybody,

i was just after some advice on my first crossbow purchase. I have done all the nescessary research as to whats good and whats not and decided that i want to go for a recurved crossbow which has led me to choose from the best.....EXCALIBUR CROSSBOWS.

Down here in Australia i do plenty of rifle hunting for deer, kangaroos and goats and i was wondering what crossbow i should go for in the EXCALIBUR range, wether it be the exomat with the 200 lbs draw weight or the phoenix with a 175 lbs draw (not the exomax, too powerfull for a first bow i would assume).

Please keep in mind that kangaroos are as powerfull as a deer. From experience at shooting them with a rifle they like to run/hop, and run/hop far after being shot at times (depending on the quality of shot).

So any advice to help me make my final verdict on what to purchase would b fantastic.

Tom
Well it's good to see another aussie on here but not one that is looking at hunting native wildlife, if you are caught you will spend some time in jail.

Hunting kangaroo's with a bow of any sort in Australia is not legal.

If you have a licence enabling you to hunt kangaroo's you would know that.

Regards

Neill Morgan
President -- Twin City's Archery Association Inc.
Representing the sporting crossbow since 2004
Web: www.tcaa.asn.au Forum: www.forum.tcaa.asn.au
email: [email protected]
Tommy-SKIL-Figure

Thankyou Neil

Thankyou for bringing that law to my attention Neil, I will not hunt any kangaroos with my crossbow then.

Are deer native to America and Canada??
Ambition is the excuse for those who do not have the guts to be lazy
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Yes Whitetail deer are native to North America.

Is there any particular reason that Archery equipment can not be used to hunt Kangaroo ? My next question is, What do you do with the Kangaroo after you bag one ? Are they good eating ?
TCAA

Post by TCAA »

Farmer wrote:Is there any particular reason that Archery equipment can not be used to hunt Kangaroo ? My next question is, What do you do with the Kangaroo after you bag one ? Are they good eating ?
The only reason we cannot hunt kangaroo with a bow is because the laws in Australia forbid it.

The RSPCA (our animal welfare group) have had a lot to do with the formation of the laws and they consider a single shot to the head from a high powered rifle to be a humane kill.

Bow hunting of any discription is only allowed as a control method for the feral animal populations of Australia.

And kangaroo is great eating, your can find sausages, steaks and roasts in large supermarkets in most areas.

Regards

Neill Morgan
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Thanks for the info. One last question, I can not resist. Does Kangaroo taste like chicken ? :roll: Just kidding on that one.

Seriously, is similar to beef or venison ( or some other type of meat )? And it is sold in the supermarket ? Is it raised domestically for this purpose ?
Tommy-SKIL-Figure

Nothing like chicken but tender like a nice cut of beef and red like a rich piece of venison.

Most of the land down here (especially here in Southern Australia) is privately owned so the farmers allow what we call 'roo shooters' to come on their property and cull the kangaroos. The meat is sold and the leather is also used but they are not raised domestically for this no.

I cant say I have ever eaten a kangaroo sausage but then I never buy it off the shelf. Family friends of ours have the permits to shoot the roos and they cook the meat up real nice. Either fry up the back strap nice and thin or make kangaroo shaslicks (my personal favourite), cook it in a stew. The meat is always tender and definately choice mate...