Crossbow hunting ethics

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TCAA

Crossbow hunting ethics

Post by TCAA »

Hello All,

Crossbow hunting that is becoming a hard sport to enjoy in Australia with people doing the wrong thing and no real code of conduct as such for individuals to follow.

Twin City's is in the process of creating these standards for Australian crossbow hunters and would value the input of the members of this forum. TCAA runs it's own forums and invites members from here willing to contribute their knowledge to this cause.

The address is www.forum.tcaa.asn.au

Should Excalibur dislike my posting in this maner please contact me and I will remove this post.

Regards

Neill Morgan
President -- Twin City's Archery Association Inc.
Tommy-SKIL-Figure

Hope I didn't offend you Neil

Post by Tommy-SKIL-Figure »

Sorry Neil Morgan,

I think some of my replies to your post may have seemed a little insincere. After reading them to myself after posting I realised that you could have taken offence to them. Hope that was not the case because that was not my intentions.
TCAA

Re: Hope I didn't offend you Neil

Post by TCAA »

Tommy-SKIL-Figure wrote:

I think some of my replies to your post may have seemed a little insincere. After reading them to myself after posting I realised that you could have taken offence to them. Hope that was not the case because that was not my intentions.
No offence taken,

As a representative of the sporting crossbow in Australia I find that we need to be forever vigilant with the view that is taken against crossbow hunters and I try to ensure that the association I represent is seen to be lagitimate and sincere about its cause.

I am very aware of the proplem with roos in Australia and wish that we were afforded the same respect by the authorities in Australia as our friends in America and Canada with the ability to hunt native wildlife.

This is a long road and not an easy one but one day we will see some hope.

Regards

Neill Morgan
wabi

Post by wabi »

Been putting off a reply thinking about the post. Not sure I really understand the problem, but I take it individuals are using crossbows for illegal, unethical, or unsportsmanlike activities.
As far as ethics I can't really see where the crossbow is an issue. The ethics are the individual's personal standards, and if the crossbow is chosen to use for unsportsmanlike activities that's bad for the sport of crossbow hunting, but the crossbow didn't commit the act, the shooter did!
I'd say laws & enforcement for crossbow hunting would be a start, but education might be the key to promote ethics.
Am I misunderstanding the request?
wabi
TCAA

Post by TCAA »

Hello All,

The problem is a people problem from three sides in Australia;

The first problem is there are many people who have turned to crossbows because they cannot have a gun ( most likely because they are not a caracter that the law approves of for some reason) and they are the people that are most likely to be the subject of investigation with the insedence that make into the media.

The second problem is that the Australian Bowhunting Association and its clubs in Australia generally will not allow crossbow shooters/hunters to attend their clubs so no education process has happend for the crossbow hunters.

The third problem is that because of the bad publicity that the crossbow receives because of the wrong doers the crossbow community in general has withdrawn from any activity as a group sport because of the poor image that we have in the general community.

With all of these problems and the lack of any structured association in Australia support the sporting crossbow, Twin City's has chosen to rise to the challenge at the sugestion of an international body.

Our aim is to provide a service that is used for education of the crossbow hunter that will be recognised by the authorities enabling the intergration of the crossbow hunter into national and international competitions and hunting activities that are currently not accessible by crossbow hunters.

Regards

Neill