Scope setup

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CRASHCOSBO

Scope setup

Post by CRASHCOSBO »

ok so I have my fancy new toy (pheonix) and I put it all together but it seems no matter how hard I try the scope just doesnt look level...you guys have any tricks that you use to get it on there properly?...I was thinking setting the bow level on a table then putting a small level on top of the scope..but I'm not sure..and another question while I'm at it...is there anywhere here in town (ottawa) that I can go and shoot indoors...I looked at the R.A centre but they want an arm and a leg by the looks of things..Thanks guys&gals
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness"
Tom

Post by Tom »

One simple way to squaring up your scope (there are other ways) is like this:
  • -Level your bow - rail limbs parallel to the floor or ground.
    -Tighten your bow into a vice or other holding device
    -Hang a plumb bob (just a string with a weight on one end) infront of the scope
    -Turn the scope until the vertical line is parrallel to the string from the plum bob
    -Tape the scope secure (duct tape or other tape) then tighten the rings in a alternating pattern.
    -Remove tape and your ready to go.
Hope that helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
CRASHCOSBO

Post by CRASHCOSBO »

Thanks Tom sounds like a plan....I know I'm probably prett close but I want to get this thing set exactly.. if I cant drive nails with it like the old man can with his I'll never hear the end of it lol
Slink

Post by Slink »

Crashcosbo,
I just went through the same delima while setting up my wife's new Phoenix. The following is how I ended up doing it ...

Put the x-bow up on a table or workbench and put a level across the rail - I used a mason level. I then put a small compound bow level across the elevation cap on the scope. While keeping the bow level with the masonry level, I rotated the scope until it was also level. Then as Tom said, tighten a little from side to side so that the scope won't rotate as you tighten.

The Excalibur scope has a flat elevation cap. If your scope does not you may have to remove the cap and see if it's square underneath.

Good Luck,

Slink
CRASHCOSBO

Post by CRASHCOSBO »

Thanks slink...what kind of adjustment as far as windage and elevation did you have to do after that?...was it pretty close?...When My dad got his the guy at the shop set it all up for him so basically all he had to do was shoot it..so this whole seting up thing is new for both of us..
wallymax

Post by wallymax »

If you're looking for a place in Ottawa to sight it, Ottawa Archery on Cedarwood closes their store after Dec 31st but has 20 yd shooting lanes open and leagues all year. They sell Excalibur.

http://www.ottawaarchery.ca/contactus.html
Slink

Post by Slink »

Crashcosbo,

We took our first shots at 10 yards and the scope setting was very close. Then my wife backed up and shot at 20 yards. At 20 yards the impact was about 1" right and an 1 1/2" to 2" low. So we set the scope at 20 and then moved back to 40 yards and fine tuned it. All -N - All, the scope took very little adjustment. I think this is a tribute to the tolerances that Excalibur builds into their product.

Good Luck,

Slink
CRASHCOSBO

Post by CRASHCOSBO »

I got her all leveled up tonight I used a combination of the two ideas used two levels and a plumb bob...if it aint straight now it never will be lol..now I just gotta get my butt out to the range and sight it in...I CANT WAIT!!...thanks again guys for your help/ideas
CRASH