A question about Exocet 200

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Matthias72

A question about Exocet 200

Post by Matthias72 »

Hi, I'm new on this form and also in the world of crossbow.
I want to buy a Exocet 200, but after cronograph test done in the archery shop, I'm a little hesitant.

The test has been done with:
428 grains total arrow weight , carbon;5" palastic vanes.
Exocet 200 with original string 1.5" brace-height
30" from cronograph
Average speed 294FPS!!!

478 grains total arrow weight 2219; 5" palastic vanes.
Exocet 200 with original string 1.5" brace-height
30" from cronograph
Average speed 281FPS!!!

This is very very different form an exspected speed of 310fps and 301fps respectivly.
Why? It is normal?

Thanks
Matthias, Roma, Italy
TYE

Post by TYE »

Who knows.... :-S My Phoenix shoots 305-307 fps through a chrono with Dacron string, Beman Thunderbolts and 100gr points. Something don't seem right with your tests or mine.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

See specs listing on Excalibur xbows here http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/specs.html

You will notice that the speed listed is using a 1989 FFF string and a arrow weight of 350 gr. total.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
TYE

Post by TYE »

I need to get me one of those FFF strings. :lol:
paulslund

Post by paulslund »

Considering that a 428 Grn arrow is 22% heavier than a 350 grn arrow, and a 478 Grn arrow is 37% heavier, you only lost 11% and 15% of the velocity in your tests.
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

Thanks guys for your answer!
I want to re-test another Exocet 200 that an my friend bought one month ago, with my personal cronograph. The question is that if the data are correct, it means a really speed with a 350 grains arrow of 313fps and not 330 with an energy of 76 FTP instead of 85 FTP. A lot!!!
I hope that all this difference it depends all for the string, not in 1989 FFF.
In this case the solution it's easy!
I hunt form 1988 only with bow and, without peep and sight the normal hunting distance is less than 20 meters and normally from a tree-stand or blind. My idea was use the cross-bow for a hunt more "dinamic", walking, seeing animals and, after a slow approach, try to shot at 30-50 yards.
What is the effective precision with a small 3 blade at 50yards? If the animal is quite and not disturbed, the "string jump" is an problem at this kind of distance?
TYE

Post by TYE »

I can group my broadheads pretty well at 40, but I haven't quite tried 50 yards yet. I wouldn't take a shot that far anyways.
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

We have very recently started equipping all of our crossbows with dacron type strings to reduce noise and recoil, and most important to increase reliability. In the last year since we started using Dyneema (fastflight) strings made in the endless loop design on our crossbows we have had a considerable increase in damage caused by dryfires. In our opinion reliability is FAR more important than a few (15) fps, especially when new crossbow users are so likely to mess up and dryfire. Think of the dacron string as "training wheels" to make a crossbow totally bulletproof. If you want to sacrafice the total reliability and use fastflight string to get the extra speed, simply switch over to a FFFlemish string.
My guess is that the bow your buddy tested was equipped with dacron, either that or he has silencers hanging on the string or limbs. Every E200 I've tested was plus or minus a couple of FPS from 330.
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

The end of history: I'm just returned from Archery shop and...I bought not a Exocet 200 but a ..... Exomax!! 325fps with 428grs... I'm very happy!!!

ciao
Matthias
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

Guy, how long can it be armed my crossbow Exomax? If I'll arm it the morning before to go hunt, can it stay armed one day?
Tom

Post by Tom »

An Excalibur crossbow can be strung or cocked all day if need be. As for it being strung, some have left it for extended periods (months), just be carefull as to how it is stored when strung. Do not put a strung crossbow in an enclosed hot location like a trunk of a vehical ect..

Hope this helps you.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]