Information on crossbows for new owner

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GLC

Information on crossbows for new owner

Post by GLC »

Just purchased my first bow of any kind, an Excalibur Exocet 200. I viewed the video twice and read the instructions. I've been out shooting it quite a bit lately. I have to say I am amazed at how smooth and accurate it is. I've shot it out to 35 yards with awesome accuracy. My friend has a Ten-point crossbow so thats the only thing I have to compare it with. His bow is okay, but I think that the Excalibur is more user friendly and simple. That's why I chose the Excalibur.

Questions for the board:

Are there any books or magazines that deal with crossbow hunting, shooting, technical issues? I'd like to learn more about crossbow archery but anything I have found so far has been traditional/compound regular archery stuff.

Also, what broadheads most closely match the field point accuracy and still perform on whitetail? Are the Wasp's supplied with the Excalibur really the best? Currently, I'm using the arrows and points that came with the "Right Stuff" package.

Thanks.
TYE

Re: Information on crossbows for new owner

Post by TYE »

GLC wrote:Questions for the board:

Are there any books or magazines that deal with crossbow hunting, shooting, technical issues? I'd like to learn more about crossbow archery but anything I have found so far has been traditional/compound regular archery stuff.

Also, what broadheads most closely match the field point accuracy and still perform on whitetail? Are the Wasp's supplied with the Excalibur really the best? Currently, I'm using the arrows and points that came with the "Right Stuff" package.

Thanks.
Congrats on the new Excalibur :) You will love it! Cause I love mine :lol:

There's a magazine called Horizintal Bowhunter Magazine. It's all about crossbows. Aside from that, the best place to learn about crossbows and talk about crossbows, is right here. There is plenty of into and tips and stuff floating around here everyday. You will learn alot by asking questions and reading others here.

As for broadheads, I find the best setup for me (I shoot a Phoenix) is either Beman Thunderbolts or Easton 2219 bolts, tipped with 100gr NAP Thunderhead broadheads. Everyone uses all kinds of different setups, so try out different things, maybe that will help you.

- Tye :D
Digger

Post by Digger »

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
TCAA

Re: Information on crossbows for new owner

Post by TCAA »

GLC wrote:Are there any books or magazines that deal with crossbow hunting, shooting, technical issues? I'd like to learn more about crossbow archery but anything I have found so far has been traditional/compound regular archery stuff.
He is a link that may help you.

http://www.tcaa.asn.au/Crossbow%20hunti ... onduct.pdf

Cheers

Neill