Gobbler show!!!!!!1

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

patmax

Gobbler show!!!!!!1

Post by patmax »

I took these pictures this morning. The Rio Grand Gobblers are really beginning to take mating seriously in the Texas Hill Country. The Older Gobblers are showing their dominance and really working the hens. I though some of you fellows would enjoy seeing them.

Gobblers face off over hen:

Long beard - missing tail feather

Long beard and a Jake:

Long bear continues to strut:

For a nature lover - this is about as good as it gets:

That's "Friendly" (the doe) in the center of the picture (she's been here since we bought the place in 2002 and has raised 5 fawn):

Four gobblers (long beards and a jake) and a hen:

Two long beards and a jake:

Long beard Gobbler with a lot of color:

Jake struts his stuff:

Hen gave him a look:

The end:
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

nice pics, thanks for sharing with us, and keep them coming :lol:
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

looks like you already have an excellent setup for when the season opens.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Now you've gone and done it! I'm all fired up now and still have to wait another month and a half. Thanks alot! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Nice pictures patmax.... 8)

Looks likeyour ready too!

Good luck on the opener!...

thanks for the pics!
Ontario Trophy Bucks
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

how many turkeys are you guys allowed, down there, where in canada were only allowed 2, how many do you guys get, yesterday i was watching the anglur and hunter show and this canadian guy went to new york i think, to hunt with the owner of quaker boy game calls, and the son of the owner had already caught 4 that year, so how many do you guys get? or did he gets them in different states?
patmax

Post by patmax »

The Spring Rio Grande Turkey season runs from April 1 to May 14 in 153 counties and you are allowed a limit of 4. There are 11 counties with a bag limit of 1.

My place is in Gillespie county and we are allowed 4 Rio Grande Turkey all seasons combined: we have a fall season and a spring season. The fall season runs concurrent with deer season and you can take either gobblers or hens - the spring season is listed above and you are only allowed gobblers.

The Easter Turkey is hunted in 43 East Texas counties and a bag limit of 1.

patmax

PS: I forgot to remind everyone that Texas has new stamps. Don't get caught by the fine print like our V.P. did:

NEW: A migratory game bird stamp endorsement ($7) is required to hunt any migratory game bird, including mourning dove.
NEW: An upland game bird stamp endorsement ($7) is required to hunt turkey, quail, pheasant, lesser prairie chicken, or chachalacas.

All my life (I'm 63) until this year - morning dove, quail and turkey were included on the regular liscense.
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

beautiful pics i even enjoyed the one withe doe standing on the old fence line! kinda reminds me of my brother's ranch out in between roby and rotan, forgot the county but about an hour north of sweetwater. that jake will be ready next year too! good luck when the season comes in!! philip
thanks philip
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Very nice pictures. They are firing up here too and it would be easy to kill one now but our season doesnt start for 6 more weeks.
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

I love the "Hill" country. My mother and father-in-law settled in Mason, which is just north of Fredricksburg. Unfortunately, they both passed on about five years ago. I haven' t been out there since the funerals. I had hoped to retire there, but now I don't know.

Regards
Joe
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

Wow you have some beautiful birds on your land best of luck havesting some of those longbeards this year
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Great pics patmax..

You have a little slice of Texas Heaven there..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

that sure does get the old blood pumping. ihae 22 more days before i can chase eastern down here in georgia.
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

Great pictures thanks for sharing. I really like the one with the deer, I am going to use it as my wallpaper if thats alright with you.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
patmax

Post by patmax »

Maritimer said:
Great pictures thanks for sharing. I really like the one with the deer, I am going to use it as my wallpaper if thats alright with you.
Maritimer,

You are welcome to use the picture as your wallpaper. I'm glad you like it - it just presented its self while I was taking a series of shots of the long beard. I knew the deer were there but was surprised at the expression of wonder on the lead does face.

Good hunting,
patmax