Gobbler Guillotine

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

My opinion on this is that the vitals are bigger (size of a small grapefruit) than the head and neck, and a turkey moves it's head alot therefore more chance of missing. So I would rather go with the regular broadheads with an arrow arrester and shoot for the vitals.

I'm not saying your head is no good cause obviously it does the job, and a fine one at that.
I have to hand it to you, they sure don't go far!...

Only problem with that is most turkey hunter's like to get pictures taken with their bird, and the bird would be headless!... *L*

Well, I guess you could always duct tape it back on!... :wink: :P
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Digger

Post by Digger »

LoneWolf wrote: Only problem with that is most turkey hunter's like to get pictures taken with their bird, and the bird would be headless!... *L*

Well, I guess you could always duct tape it back on!... :wink: :P
Yup, use 1002 for duct tape. :D :wink:
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Tom

Re: The Guillotine is effective from Crossbows.

Post by Tom »

Arrowdynamic wrote:The 100 grain Guillotine was developed specifically for crossbow shooters. The Guillotine kills the bird in less than 1.5 milliseconds. Doesn't get any more lethal than that. The neck/head area is a huge kill zone in comparison the internal vitals.
Should anyone have a particular question on the broadhead other than those assumptions made and posted thru ought the internet. Just call. I'll be glad to answer so you can make an informed decision..not simply be pursuaded by a less than knowledgable person with a closed mind telling you what you should shoot.
Consider that the state of Oklahoma changed the law to ALLOW the Guillotine to be used due to its proven effectiveness. First in the history of the sport where that has happened.
Good hunting with whatever you choose to chase them with!
Respectfully,
Matthew Futtere
Inventor
Mr Futtere I commend you on your product. But that does not mean that I will indorse it. I understand that you are trying to get a product off and onto the market and what missreputations or iliinformed opinions can do to a product. Even in saying that, I take offence to your post.

Without shooting your head, I did as much research on it as I could a while back. I have even looked at them in the local archery shop. From your website, there is many times that the hunting head did not cut off the turkey's head. It shows the head striking the neck, but then bouncing off. To me, with crossbows this is not acceptable. As you stated, the hunter will need the 100gr head (2 1/2") not the 4" which drastically effects the advantage of your head in my opinion. With a 4x4 head spinning through the air you have a larger striking area. With the 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" head, you have lowered that striking area to just above a large dia head that alot already use.

The neck might be a larger area then the vitals, but in my opinion it is tougher to get the neck shot because the neck mores more and faster then the main body of the turkey. Remember the crossbow needs the 100gr head not the 4x4".

The following has been copied dirrectly from your web page:
"Why can’t I use the Gobbler Guillotine on my arrowshaft already equipped with the standard plastic vanes like I use for deer or other large game animals?

We use the larger four or five inch version offset or full helical, to ensure good "in flight stability" to achieve hunting accuracy. Not a new concept, just that we significantly pushed the envelope with the first big game bird broadhead spanning up to four inches of cutting width. As a result, more drag force is required at the rear of the arrow to achieve in flight stability out to typical hunting distances. With the Gobbler Guillotine having a larger cutting width, in a fixed, four blade design, we must follow the same laws of physical dynamics as if transitioning from target tips to standard cutting width big game animal broadheads. Hence the use of a larger feathered, full helical fletching so we can hit the bird in the head/neck region with greater confidence in shot placement accuracy.

Carbon vs. aluminum. "Why do you recommend using carbon shafts?"

With the leverage forces being lateral at moment of impact, you would only get one shot per shaft using aluminum. Our research has shown that it would bend the shaft right behind where the insert ends. This would also result in not enough energy transference to kill the bird. With carbon shafts, you have a shaft that absorbs this lateral energy just like the limbs in your bow. Once the pressure is released, the shaft snaps back to its original straight condition. You spend a little more money per shaft initially but get significantly more use from each shaft. Arrowdynamic Solutions follow and suggests you follow your arrow shaft manufactures recommendation to inspect your carbon shaft after each shot to ensure integrity for safety reasons.
The above two statements dirrectly from your website is a contributating factor why I do not recomend them to crossbow shooters and why I recommend that the hunter use their regular heads with the arrow arresters. For most hunters COST is a major factor in hunting supplies. I am not saying that someone whould scrimp on thier hunting heads, far from that. But if you can keep your costs down and still be ethical with your choices, then you will have more money to spend elsewhere. Also with the regular hunting heads, you already have confidnce with them and your setup. There is no need to get special arrows with maybe different fletching and expermenting with a new setup.

For bows that can use the 4x4" head saftely, I think your head would be a very good product, but the smaller version will not give you enough advantages in my opinion to be worth the extra expenses.

Just my opinion.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

but in my opinion it is tougher to get the neck shot because the neck mores more and faster then the main body of the turkey. Remember the crossbow needs the 100gr head not the 4x4".
Tom, do you agree that the neck is a larger target than the vital area?

That said, what I quoted above is morre like what I meant to say. Seeing that the turkey moves it's head and neck around so much and how fast they do it makes the vitals a larger target. It does to me anyway.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Tom

Post by Tom »

LoneWolf wrote: Tom, do you agree that the neck is a larger target than the vital area?

That said, what I quoted above is morre like what I meant to say. Seeing that the turkey moves it's head and neck around so much and how fast they do it makes the vitals a larger target. It does to me anyway.
LoneWolf I do not think that it is "cut & dry" to make a blanket statement like none is greater than the other. With the neck, it is more narrow but longet so over all you will have more square inch or area to hit. The vitals in the body has a greater DIA in area as to what to hit compared to the neck, but there is not the length, so it would have a smaller square area.

Even in saying that, I feel it is still not that straight forward. How often do you see a Tom with his neck curled against the body, or bopping around looking at different things. Me personally, I will choose the larger DIA, smaller Square area that moves slower over the larger Square area that moves fast. I just feel that hitting a moving neck (with a 2 1/2" square cutting head) compared to the vitals in the body with a 1 1/2" Dia head is a lower percentage shot.

I also feel that if your using the Guillotine, you eliminate the body shot option. If the head will bounce off the neck, then what will it do to the body. For anyone that is interested, here is the link to the home page for that head. You can see their videos of which I talked about for yourself.
http://www.arrow-dynamic-solutions.com/
Tom
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Arrow looks like it's floopy in flight :?
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Thanks Tom,

I'm not affraid to admit that as far as turkey hunting goes, I've still got alot to learn and I don't have a problem admitting it. But I'm also a fast learner when it comes to hunting, or anything for that matter. And I do my homework. You're one of the forum members that helped me out when I asked for some guidance and I appreciate the help and information you provided me with, it all payed off and I thank you for that.

I did what you said and I used broadheads and the scorpio arrow arresters that payed off as well. The two turkeys I've taken since I did the turkey seminar in 2002, one of them didn't go 10 yards and the other one didn't even go 5 yards and they were both deader than an old stump within seconds. What I'm trying to say here is that the equipment you suggested to use is what I used, it all worked out for me and I'm happy with the results.

Again, I thank you for your input and tips you provided on turkey hunting, Tom

LW
Ontario Trophy Bucks
shifty

Post by shifty »

you can use the gobbler quillotine on your crossbow you just have to use a longer carbon arrow shaft that makes the broadhead goe past the sturip
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

One of the Forum members had modified his stirup so that it would fold out of the way ( did a good job too) so that he could shoot the 4x4 guillotine. Never did find out if he was successful with it or not...
Ontario Trophy Bucks
dennydm

Turkey hunting heads

Post by dennydm »

I will use a string tracker attached to bolts behind the heads. Within 30 yds there is no noticable effect on flight.
dmdenny
Isis

Guillotine

Post by Isis »

Hi Lonewolf, I was the one that hinged the stirrup on my bow.
I actually did it to use the 2 1/2in broadhead, as even that will hit if the blade is vertically down.
I did not get a chance to shoot at a turkey last season, but will try again this year.
I will say though, they are very accurate, for those that are wondering about it.

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/ ... 010460.jpg[/img][/img]
big dog

Post by big dog »

Isis,
Have you thought about selling any of those?
I finally met Mrs.right-only I didn't know her first name was alway's
Isis

Guillotine

Post by Isis »

It did cross my mind when I was making it, but it would all depend on the demand.
To make it cost effective I would have to make some jigs and fixtures.
If I made them as 1 offs they would cost somewhere near $100 I would think.
I sure wouldn't pay $100 for a hinge. ( Well maybe if it was gold) :D
I put about 12 hrs into it with design and machining.
JRS

Post by JRS »

I watched Double Bull Outdoors last night and they devoted the whole show to turkey hunts using the Gobbler Guillotine. They used compounds only, with the 4" heads, and it was unbelievable to watch. All they take is head/neck shots - they either hit the bird or miss. Even just a partial neck hit was enough to anchor the bird. When they were hit they just did a flip and that was the end. Essentially, it was just like gun hunting, they waited for the bird to quit strutting and extend its neck to look around and then WHAM. They showed about a half dozen birds being taken this way.
Tom

Post by Tom »

JRS wrote:I watched Double Bull Outdoors last night and they devoted the whole show to turkey hunts using the Gobbler Guillotine. They used compounds only, with the 4" heads, and it was unbelievable to watch. All they take is head/neck shots - they either hit the bird or miss. Even just a partial neck hit was enough to anchor the bird. When they were hit they just did a flip and that was the end. Essentially, it was just like gun hunting, they waited for the bird to quit strutting and extend its neck to look around and then WHAM. They showed about a half dozen birds being taken this way.
I never thought or said that they were not a good head or that they would not work when used for their purpose. That is neck shots. If they are used for that and NO BODY SHOTS taken they will be good. But I also believe that if you are limited to 2.5x2.5" heads you are limiting yourself alot in your abilities. I also Do not believe that even the 4x4" heads are just like using a shotgun. The pattern of even the tightest patterns would be greater then 4" at 20-25 yards so your degree of success would be better with the shotgun then with the 4x4" head.

Again I do not recomend these heads only because I do not believe that they are needed. It is an expense that you the hunter is not required to put out to hunt turkeys sucessfully. I have always told people to use the same heads that they use already (if they are happy with their accuracy) and to only add an arrow arrestor which will add a totaly of about $4 american to set up 2 arrows. If I was given the 4x4" head and was able to shot them out of my bow saftely, yes I would try them. But at the cost of needing new arrows (I only own allum. arrows) with different fletching then I have now, I can't see putting out the money for something that I do not have to have.

If you deceide to hunt with this head, great and I wish you the best of times and a successful hunt.

Good Luck.
Tom