turkey food plot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

terry-1

turkey food plot

Post by terry-1 »

Does anyone plant a food plot for spring turkey hunting? If so what do you plant that will attract turkeys within a few weeks of growth throughout the spring season April 6 to May 6? I plowed up a spot and planted some white/red clover thats it so far.
wabi

Post by wabi »

No experience with a food plot for spring turkeys, but they sure hit the clover we planted for deer in May or June last year. Not sure what they were eating (insects?) but they were in it almost every day. I also made the mistake of sewing a commercial fall blend for deer (turnips of many varities) in late July and waiting until the next morning to disc it lightly. Had to go buy more seed because the turkeys got up early :wink:
BTW - the turnip blend (I'll have to do some research to fing the brand) worked very well. The deer browsed on the tops until the acorns dropped, and came back in late winter to munch on the turnips. Many of the plants are "greening up" now, and I noticed the new growth is being eaten as it emerges! I think I'll plant a couple more small plots this summer!
wabi
patmax

Post by patmax »

You might read the info found on the Wild Turkey Federation website. They have some good information on food plots. They also sell seed pack.

http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/land_m ... _tips.html

Good hunting,
patmax
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

A guy in the club planted sunflower, beans, turnips and other garden type seeds. They never made it. The turkeys would eat the sprouts before they got a chance to grow. I watched them dig them up and eat for hours on the plot. They were digging so much they made dust clouds. Going to plant the same stuff this spring there and a couple of other places. We shot several birds off that plot sitting in a blind. I know there are other things they recommend but you can get these seeds cheap at feed stores and they do work.
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

by the middle of april, the turkey will leave the feeders & go for the bugs,,,,grasshopers,, in the fall they love achorns,look for a oak grove ,,,,but if you put out a food plot for deer the turkey will come,,,,,,,,the farmers get upset because when they plant corn in the spring the turkey will follow the planted rows & scratch out the corn & eat it.

h.j.
they say he is still up there.
terry-1

clover

Post by terry-1 »

The red/white clover I planted is coming up from the rains we had last week and the deer and turkey both are hammering it hard. I think I will end up planting more and disking up some more area to help on the stress from over grazing I can tell is going to happen.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Terry,
Almost forgot, but another "trick" here that often works is simply to plow the area the weekend before season opens. Our law says it is illegal to "shoot a turkey over bait". A freshly seeded plot could be considered baiting, but a freshly plowed area will attract them and there is no "bait" added by the hunter. They are simply foraging for exposed bugs, seeds, etc.
If I'm adding or extending an existing food plot I try to schedule the initial plowing for the Saturday before turkey season opens. :wink:
wabi