.22 LR Rifle for Turkeys

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobby jost

.22 LR Rifle for Turkeys

Post by bobby jost »

Is it acceptable/legal to take wild turkeys with a .22 calibre rifle? Not for sniping long range but in close as if you were shot gunning.

Bobby Jost
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Bobby

I expect that the answer would vary from one jurisdiction to another, so you should direct your inquiry to the jurisdiction in which you want to hunt.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
A.W

Post by A.W »

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/hunti ... ey_eng.pdf

Wild turkeys may be hunted using shotguns (including
muzzle-loading shotguns) and archery equipment. Shotguns
must be no larger than 10 gauge, and not smaller than
20 gauge, loaded with shot sizes 4, 5 or 6.
When archery hunting for wild turkey, bows must meet the
following specifications.
Crossbows:
• Draw length must be at least 300 mm (11.8 in.).
• Draw weight must be at least 45 kg (99.2 lb.).
• Bolt head must be at least 22 mm (0.87 in.) at the widest
point.
• There must be at least two cutting edges of straight,
sharp, unserrated, barbless steel.
Bows (compound, recurve or long):
• Draw weight must be at least 18 kg (39.7 lb.) at draw
length of 700 mm (27.6 in.) or less.
• Arrow length must be at least 600 mm (23.6 in.).
• Arrow head must be at least 22 mm (0.87 in.) at the
widest point.
• There must be at least two cutting edges of straight,
sharp, unserrated, barbless steel.
For information on measuring draw length and arrow length,
refer to page 21 under “Firearms”.
It is illegal to use live decoys or electronic calls while wild
turkey hunting in Ontario. It is illegal to hunt wild turkeys with the use of bait.
Last edited by A.W on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Tom

Post by Tom »

bobby jost there are a few States that allow hunting with rifles, mostly 22's. I do not agree with hunting turkeys with rifles because of the Saftey factor. I bet over 98% of turkey hunters use camoflauge to the extreem. That is if you are more than 50 yards away you wil probually not see the hunter.

Shotguns have a very limited range but the travel of a bullet goes way past that. Just think, your hunting and see a Tom start across the field, then you fire and miss. No one wil know where the rifle bullet will travel, espically if there might be a camoflauge hunter110 yards down range from where the turkey was crossing the field.

This is just my personal opinion, but I truely believe that rifles should have no part in turkey hunting. I find the excitement is in bringing them in close to you. Listening to them call back and forth, to gobble and then strut is what gave me Turkey Fever For this I have been told, there is NO CURE :lol: maybe I do not want to be cured.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Big John

turkey

Post by Big John »

I 100% agree with Tom on this one. I am totally against anyone hunting with a 22 cal. Those bullets can go on for great distances. Have a large opportunity for injury and pass throughs as well. Call me safety conscious but I wont even hunt with someone for Grouse, who uses a 22 cal. There is a place for Rifles, and a time not for them. I also have Rifles and shotguns, as well as Bows, so I'm not just Bias. But Don't hate me for it. (its only my take) :wink:

John

PS: I'm pretty sure it's not legal in Ontario for Turkey anyway.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

If it's legal then use it.

On the topic of .22s and safety; what about when hunting squirrels, rabbit, fox, etc. Is the potential of accidentally shooting someone any less? A fox hunter or a squirrel hunter may be equally as well camoflaged. I use my .22 for bunnies, squirrel, and grouse. I see nothing wrong with doing so. Is a .22 more dangerous in the hands of a turkey hunter? I would think that the danger factor would be equal(low) regardless of what you are hunting. If the person behind the firearm is not safe then it doesn't matter what they are using.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Tom

Post by Tom »

Chris it is dofferent then if your hunting turkeys. Yes there is still a chance for anothre hunter to be hurt when hunting the other game, but turkey hunter purposely HIDE so not to be seen. Some will hide all day in the same location and there is a larger chance of NOT seeing another turkey hunter then it would when hunting other game.

I am not saying that you should not use 22's if it is legal, just in my opinion that it should not be legal.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Big John

turkey

Post by Big John »

The rule I like to follow is, if it fly's, it's shot gun. Squirel's are almost always shot up in the tree tops, so I shot gun them as well. As for ground shooting, which most Grouse shooting isn't either, it's bow, rifle, or Shot gun. I try to keep the small game including, Turkey size, to shot guns. It's only " my "safety issue not everyones.

But as chris states, if it's legal use it if it's what you desire.

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
chessy

Post by chessy »

just like eating liver dont nock it to you have tried it ... i have shot a few turkeys with a rifle ... nothing wrong with it as long as done safe and pick your shots.... just a dangourse shooting shot gun at a deer that is being dogged by a fellow hunter ... just like any of the hunting sports just be carefull and hunt safe
Allan

Post by Allan »

Chessy,

Hunting turkeys with a rifle is illegal in Ontario, regardless of how safe YOU might be.
chessy

Post by chessy »

i know !!!!!but not in virgina
i know the law well :lol: :lol:
Allan

Post by Allan »

Is ther a Port Hope in Virginia?

I assumed :oops: you were from Port Hope Ontario.

Sorry :roll:
chessy

Post by chessy »

i am from port hope ontario .. i deer and turkey hunt in virgina alot i have friends there that come here to fish and i go there and hunt ,work out good ... dont be sorry ... i should have made my statement more understandable....
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

There are laws here in MA. no rifles seam to be alowed during any hunting season which you can ware camo. That makes a lot of since since you can see orange a lot further away, and a bullet travels a long way GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Camper

Post by Camper »

12guage # 4 turkey load dangerous up to lets say 90yards

22lr dangerous up to 1 1/2 miles

I sure hope they don't ever make a .22 legal for turkeys in Ontario.

Turkey hunting is a different type of hunting.

there is a IMHO a far greater risk of shooting someone or being shot when hunting turkeys with a .22 then a shotgun.

You don't know if someone has set up across the field from you and with the decoys they have out, in low light and with a trigger happy hunter (they are out there), that is a recipe for disaster.

When you are rabbit and squirrel hunting,

(I am not saying that accidents can not happen)

but there is less of a risk because you should be making your presence know to other hunters in the bush by wearing proper colored clothing and with your movement. Also when you see another hunter you should be making your presence known anyways(Hunter saftey course). That doesn't happen at 5:45am when your turkey hunting.

Just my take on this subject

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper