.22 LR Rifle for Turkeys

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Camper

Post by Camper »

12guage # 4 turkey load dangerous up to lets say 90yards

22lr dangerous up to 1 1/2 miles

I sure hope they don't ever make a .22 legal for turkeys in Ontario.

Turkey hunting is a different type of hunting.

there is a IMHO a far greater risk of shooting someone or being shot when hunting turkeys with a .22 then a shotgun.

You don't know if someone has set up across the field from you and with the decoys they have out, in low light and with a trigger happy hunter (they are out there), that is a recipe for disaster.

When you are rabbit and squirrel hunting,

(I am not saying that accidents can not happen)

but there is less of a risk because you should be making your presence know to other hunters in the bush by wearing proper colored clothing and with your movement. Also when you see another hunter you should be making your presence known anyways(Hunter saftey course). That doesn't happen at 5:45am when your turkey hunting.

Just my take on this subject

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Not trying to be argumenatative, but there is no "proper" clothing for rabbit or squirrel hunting. Blaze orange is only required for hunting big game during gun season. If I am out hunting squirrel I may choose to not wear blaze. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you wear; guys have been mistakenly shot while wearing head to toe blaze!!!

Although it may say dangerous to 1.5 miles on your box of .22lr ammo, I do believe that is an inflated number(approx. double). And that range could only be achieved if shooting at the ideal angle for maximum distance, which I believe is somewhere around 35 degrees. An angle no one should be shooting at while hunting turkey on the ground. Granted the range is still a heck of a lot further than bird shot.

I think that we allow our imagination to create these scenarios and thereby convince ourselves that accidentally shooting someone while using a .22 for turkey is a sure thing. Can it happen? Absolutely, anything is possible. What about guys who use .223s for chucks and coyotes? The range of a .22 centerfire far exceeds that of any .22 rimfire. If we say that a .22lr is dangerous, due to it's extended range, for turkey hunting, then would the same not apply to the .22 centerfires for vermin and predators? To me it's as though we are saying our sport is dangerous. And I would like to think our sport is not dangerous.

Once again, it boils down to the person using the firearm. They are either safe or they are not safe. If you are already set up at 5:45am and another hunter walks by you it's your own fault if you do not make them aware of your presence.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I'm still curious to see if Bobby is going to tell us what jurisdiction he was asking about!!!!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Tom

Post by Tom »

chris4570 wrote:Not trying to be argumenatative, but there is no "proper" clothing for rabbit or squirrel hunting. Blaze orange is only required for hunting big game during gun season. If I am out hunting squirrel I may choose to not wear blaze. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you wear; guys have been mistakenly shot while wearing head to toe blaze!!!
Chris you are wrong with what you said above. IF you are hunting in the gun season for deer or moose in Ontario, you MUST WEAR HUNTER ORANGE no matter what game you are hunting. Outside of the gun season for deer and moose then you can choose to wear or not wear hunter orange when hunting anything other then bear. Then you need to wear the hunter orange unless your in a tree.

Just wanted to clear that up.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Camper

Post by Camper »

I still think we are comparing apples to oranges when it comes to Turkey hunting vs small game hunting. totally different in my eyes, but they are my eyes so I will have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one

Yes I do agree that the 1 1/2 mile range is inflated
Still very dangerous hundreds of yards beyond bird shot

As for wearing blaze orange when out hunting small game outside of a Big Game season,

I still think even if your wearing camo, your movement in the bush will still get picked up by another hunter when hunting most small game.

Camper

Camper
Camper

Post by Camper »

I forgot to add,

I will always let my presence be known to another hunter if I know they are around!

I am out in my blind way before 5:45am and if the other side of the field is 100 yards away and I don't see another hunter come in to the field and quietly set up (and this does happen more than one would think in turkey hunting) then a .22lr would be more dangerous then a shot gun.

As for hunting being dangerous, There wouldn't be a Hunter saftey course if there wasn't a potential for danger. Come on man, we are out there with tools that are designed to kill. There is no imagination in that!
We have to be safe as individual hunters and in my oppinion using a .22lr for Turkey hunting has way more potential for an accident to happen then using a shotgun.

I have two .22's and I love to go out and shoot them I have nothing against hunting small game with them but I do treat them like any other gun or piece of archey equipment, they are desined to kill.

Camper

Camper
buckbuster

Post by buckbuster »

The 22. LR is still very danger when squirrel or rabbit hunting. When rabbit hunting, it could richocet off a rock or something and hurt someone at least one hundred yards away. And if your squirrel hunting and there is a house within a mile or so and yuor shooting up into the tree and just up in the sky can be very dangerous.
WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Bobby

You asked a two sided question
a.) is it acceptable to use 22 rifle
b.) is it legal to use a 22 rifle

for turkey hunting.

You haven't come back after posing your question to provide us with a bit more information, in particular, just which jurisdiction you were inquiring about.

So, I'll take a chance and say "yes". This would be based on the assumption that you were posting from Antarctica. You may legally use a 22 for turkey hunting in Antarctica. In fact there is no limit on the number of turkeys you are allowed to take. You are pretty much operating on the honour system. In other words, you take only as many as you truly need.

The honour system seems to work well. Despite the hunting pressure, turkey numbers have remained constant for many, many years.

Concerns that were raised about the dangers of using 22 rifles have proved unfounded. Antarctic turkey hunters have yet to have a single incident of death or even injury caused by using rifles to hunt turkeys.

The other concern about losing wounded birds because of inadequate power of the 22 caliber has also proven to be without basis in fact. Even the rimfire long rifle performs so well that there is not one single instance of a wounded turkey escaping. So, I'll close by saying "Good Luck" with your turkey hunting in Antarctica, and I hope your upcoming winter is pleasant.

:D :D :D
bobby jost

Post by bobby jost »

Please understand it is my intention to learn from the experts on this forum. By no means am I like the pro's on the Excalibur forum, I'm trying to become a better
sportsman that acts in a responsible manner, ethically grounded and always open to useful information. However, the rant about Antarctica is unclear.

I'm in a position to want to become a proficient turkey hunter, in fact this will be my first attempt in doing so and hopefully I will meet compassionate hunters to assist me.

Thank you to those who explained to me the regs on .22 calibres and turkeys.

Bobby

Bobby

You asked a two sided question
a.) is it acceptable to use 22 rifle
b.) is it legal to use a 22 rifle

for turkey hunting.

You haven't come back after posing your question to provide us with a bit more information, in particular, just which jurisdiction you were inquiring about.

So, I'll take a chance and say "yes". This would be based on the assumption that you were posting from Antarctica. You may legally use a 22 for turkey hunting in Antarctica. In fact there is no limit on the number of turkeys you are allowed to take. You are pretty much operating on the honour system. In other words, you take only as many as you truly need.

The honour system seems to work well. Despite the hunting pressure, turkey numbers have remained constant for many, many years.

Concerns that were raised about the dangers of using 22 rifles have proved unfounded. Antarctic turkey hunters have yet to have a single incident of death or even injury caused by using rifles to hunt turkeys.

The other concern about losing wounded birds because of inadequate power of the 22 caliber has also proven to be without basis in fact. Even the rimfire long rifle performs so well that there is not one single instance of a wounded turkey escaping. So, I'll close by saying "Good Luck" with your turkey hunting in Antarctica, and I hope your upcoming winter is pleasant.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

[quote="bobby jost"].................However, the rant about Antarctica is unclear. ....................................

Bobby

That wasn't meant to be a rant, Bobby. It was an attempt at humour. That's why the "smileys" were shown at the end of my post. When you quoted my post you omitted the smileys, however.

There are no turkey hunting rules in Antartica. You can take turkeys with anything from a rock to a F-18, if you have one.

I think pretty much every one of the 48 lower states in the US have turkeys, and most of the Canadian provinces have them too. So, that's more than 4 dozen different jurisdictions. Each and every one of them are legally able to make their own rules about turkey hunting. I don't know if turkey hunting takes place in South America, so I suppose there could be even more rules on turkey hunting.

What I was trying to get at is that your question, as posed, was not capable of a safe answer....at least as far as the legal part is concerned. Laws vary from one jurisdiction to another. You STILL haven't specified what jurisdiction you were asking about, so what is a fair question remains unanswered.

It's not been answered, but not because every reader who has read your post is indifferent. It's because you haven't provided an essential piece of information in your question. Folks here try to be friendly and helpfull, but they can't help you with your question....yet. You don't have to give your home address or any identifying information about yourself. Just say where you are hoping to hunt, if you still want to get an answer.

(By the way, don't let yourself get put-off by smart-a$$ed efforts at humour.)

:D :D :D (Again)
l patterson

Post by l patterson »

seems to me that u all forgot the basics how many people die or wounded in their cars driving because their sleepy at 530 in the am on their way to hunt? didnt mr cheney just injure someone with bird shot? how many hunters fall out of tree stands? anytime you discharge a firearm you become liable for where the bullet arrow ends up. safety starts with you just my opinion.