vanes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Leonard Hawkins

vanes

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

using 18 in 2216 with 100 gr head, what do you recommend for vanes, am using 5 in now. but maybe i can cut some weight with shorter vanes, also shooting a vixen. this is for hunting not target. thanks leonard :shock:
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Generally speaking, the larger vanes will give greater stability. This is important when using broadheads. However larger vanes create more drag and reduce speed. When using field points the extra stability is negiliable, and one can use smaller vanes, thus increasing speed.

In others words, there's pros and cons no matter what one does or chooses.

In the final analysis, one has to figure out what the best setup is for their equipment and situation. Front of center (FOC) balance also plays a great factor and is of paramount importance in deciding what will work best for your particular situation.

In my case, when I first started using crossbows, my bolts had 5" vanes, which I used with great success. Now when using either 18" or 20" bolts, I use and find that 4" vanes work better for my setup.

In the end, you'll just have to experiment and decide what size of vane you prefer. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Hi try looking at 4" Quick Spins they may work better , they work good for me , the more your arrow spins the more stable it is.
PRB

Post by PRB »

I'm having really good luck with 2" Blazer vanes and theyre much lighter than 4" and 5" vanes.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!