CABELA'S

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BOB7255KHZ

CABELA'S

Post by BOB7255KHZ »

Went to Cabela's this weekend to buy a target called the BLOCK.
While I was there , this gentleman and his wife were checking out the crossbows.....he was really playing with the 10 Point models....the pricy ones.
The sellsman comes over to him and ask " can I help you "......the fella say's " I'm interested in buying a good xbow'. The sellsman says " well the best crossbows are located next to the 10Points.....THEY ARE THE EXCALIBUR MODELS ".....WOW.... I was surprised that the sellsman told him the truth, I mean he could have doubled his sell by selling the 10POINT to him that cost twice as much.
I couldn't help myself.....I butted in and said..." I have the EXCALIBUR model"......we both explained the pro's and con's of both bows.....then he seen the " LIGHT "........AMEN

BOB in Pa
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

What else is there than Excalibur 8)
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

The only advantage I see to other crossbows is the narrower limbs (compunds). This basically means I have to clear two or three more limbs for shooting out of my stand. No bigy! Would rather trim a few branches over taking my bow to a shop every time I wanted to change the string.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
htoler

Post by htoler »

Why do you bash Tenpoints I have shot both bows and both are great bows.. I could not say that one is any better than the other,, for me Tenpoints won out because of the safty features.. ant that they have the best cocking aid on the market.. and the price difference is not that great when I was shopping for an exbow I checkek in to an Excaliber ExoMag to get it fully loaded and with a case it was going to cost me just shy of $1300.00 my Tenpoint Proelite fully loaded and with hardcase cost me $1500.00 I would say that Excals and TenPoints are the best on the market orther than customs..
ExCalibur ExoCet 200
Tenpoint ProElite
Tom

Post by Tom »

htoler wrote:Why do you bash Tenpoints I have shot both bows and both are great bows.. .......... ..
I do not think that people are bashing the tenpoint bows, but rather pointing out the pitfalls of compound crossbows. In my opinion, for a crossbow, the added agravation of cables and pullies does not give you enough benifit to justify the agravation. I like simple hunting equipment. Something that I can work on if I need to in wierd places if needed.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
htoler

Post by htoler »

well if your going to go ai it that way I thik if you have a good well maintained xbow you shouldnt have to work on it in the field or wierd places..
ExCalibur ExoCet 200
Tenpoint ProElite
BOB7255KHZ

Post by BOB7255KHZ »

htoler wrote:Why do you bash Tenpoints I have shot both bows and both are great bows.. I could not say that one is any better than the other,, for me Tenpoints won out because of the safty features.. ant that they have the best cocking aid on the market.. and the price difference is not that great when I was shopping for an exbow I checkek in to an Excaliber ExoMag to get it fully loaded and with a case it was going to cost me just shy of $1300.00 my Tenpoint Proelite fully loaded and with hardcase cost me $1500.00 I would say that Excals and TenPoints are the best on the market orther than customs..
NOWAY was this intended to bash TenPoint bows or there users and if it was taken that way , I am sorry.
Infact the Ten Point was my my choice before I even heard of Excalibur xbows. Lets be realistic here : yes the the Tenpoint is one of the finest bows out there and has many features that other bow mfg do not incorporate in their bows. I shot the TenPoints....they felt more comfy than the other bows....seemed well balanced, more compact, and felt well built, but for me , it was way too heavy. The weight was my determining factor why I chose the Excalibur xbow.....not price or options.
My second reason was that I could change the string if need be , as I'm located in a remote location with no xbow dealers around me......I had to travel 150 miles to get my Excalibur.
It doesn't matter what kind of bow one uses...compound / stick bow /or xbow , just as long each of us have the desire/ health to get out in the great outdoors and be a true sportsman......Enjoy
BOB in Pa
htoler

Post by htoler »

Well for me I will not say anything against a bow of any kind unless I knew for fact it was not a good bow,, I haver told many people that from what they described that it sounded like the Excal was tha right bow for them,, and have told many it sounded like they should look into aTenPoints.. and others that they should check out other brands for various reasons.. in the end I feel that if you are happy with the bow you have then it dosent matter what brand it is..
ExCalibur ExoCet 200
Tenpoint ProElite
Tom

Post by Tom »

htoler wrote:well if your going to go ai it that way I thik if you have a good well maintained xbow you shouldnt have to work on it in the field or wierd places..
htoler that statement has some merit, but in the REAL WORLD it carries absolutly no weight. Accidents happen. Your string might have a nic happen to it, a bolt might break, the serving might come unwond (even on brand new strings). Things like this DO happen, not all the time, but if I am way back in the bush on a hunting trip, then I want to repair it or replace it. In no way did I ever say that tenpoint was a garbage or crap bow. IT is just simpler to maintain an Excalibur (a recurve crossbow) then a compound crossbow. That is just the plain true fact.

In my opinion a compound bow gives you only a few advantages, letoff and width of the bow. It is a little narower. The width of the bow does not really bother me, even when stalking or walking through the bush. I just carry the bow with the limb vertical, therefore the extra width of the excal does not matter. With lettoff on a crossbow, is it really needed, I do not think so as the trigger holds the string in the cocked position, not you. But when you add in the disadvantages of the compound crossbows, not being able to do much work on the bow without having large speciality tools, but there are also alot more moving parts that have to be maintained and which might fail at the most inopertune time. Very seldom does something fail, but when it does, it is always at the wrong time.

If you have never had something happen to your hunting tools, like something fail or need replacing, even with your well maintained xbow you are living on borrowed time. Law of averages will prove that. Now with my crossbow, in over 22 years with the same bow, I have had one bolt break. This was an easy fix by just replacing the bolt. Had to remove the string, limb, remove broken bolt, then replace everything. With a compound crossbow my hunt would have been over because I would not have been able to even remove the string very easily.

Now this is just my opinion, and alot of people think the same way, but I do not hunt very often close to an archery store. I will stay with the simple easy working bows.
Tom
GLC

Post by GLC »

I bought mine from the Cabela's in PA. Must have been the same salesman because he told me what a great choice I had made. He didn't say anything negative about another brand but commented on me buying the Excalibur. I had already made up my mind that I wanted the Excalibur and walked right in and asked for it.

I have not had a bad experience in the Hamburg, PA Cabela's store.

Love my Excalibur. I've only had it about two months.
htoler

Post by htoler »

Well I guess I should expect this since this is the Excaliber forum.. but I would have thought that with so many against crossbows that all the crossbow forums would support all types of crossbows. and I am sorry but I still say TenPoints have features that make it a way more safe xbow than an Excaliber, such as the double safty, no accidental firing of bolts, and the dry fire inhibitor, no worries of harming your bow because you forgot to load a bolt , wich I have read where some have messed up their limbs because they forgot to load a bolt, and the Accudraw cocking aid..
it must be thought highly of I have seen many pics of it mounted on guess what Excaliburs.. I would just think that with so many against xbows that the xbow users would band togather guess I might need to look for a forum that is other brand friendly..
guess that is why I spend most of my time on the archerytalk forum..
ExCalibur ExoCet 200
Tenpoint ProElite
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

htoler I do think you are reading too much in the posts on the negative side :!: None on here care what xbow you shoot, yes we might say this or that about the pros and con's of any xbow but not put it or the shooter down in any way. I also am a EXCALIBUR PERSON, but also own and shoot a TenPoint Stealth X2 and quite frankly love it.

However as well as I take care of said xbow, I still do my hunting mostly with a Excalibur and when using my tenpoint sure have a Excal as a back-up. Have I needed to use the back -up? Nope not yet, however I am ready.

Like you I do like the trigger, safety, the dry fire safety, but still in the field too much to go wrong, not stating it will but do beleive in MURPHYS LAW :roll: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Tom

Post by Tom »

htoler where has anyone said anything to where a ten point is garbage. If a company can't withstand some negitive comments about their products, they will never survive. The accudraw is a good cocking device. There are many people on the forum that use it on their excalibur bows and they actually suggest it to be put on. They even either tell how to do it, or dirrect them to where it can get done.

I am glad you like your bow and enjoy it. I am also happy that you think your bow is safe. No one should use anything they feel is unsafe.
such as the double safty, no accidental firing of bolts, and the dry fire inhibitor, no worries of harming your bow because you forgot to load a bolt , wich I have read where some have messed up their limbs because they forgot to load a bolt
But no one should depend on mechanical devices for saftey. Mechanical devices can fail. The only true safe bow is A bow that is handled safely. I am not saying that you do not handle your bow safely or even imply that. I do believe that you do handle it in a safe mannor because of how you looked into saftey of the bow.

That brings us back to the simplistic nature of the recurve bow, if you have a dry fire with the bow with mag tips, you sill usually not have a problem with your bow. You might have the tips blow off, but that would be easy to fix, now if you dryfire a compound, you will have a major problem with the pullies and cables. Now a dry fire does not have to mean you forgot to load the arrow, the string could jump the arrow or the arrow slide forward alittle causing a situation like a dryfire. I have heard others on here talking about their dryfire saftey that failed. When I was in school and starting to work, they DRILLED INTO ME >>>> Never trust a mechanical device for saftey.

As I said earlier in this thread, no one is trashing the tenpoint. People on here will give their opinions. That is what makes this a good forum.
Tom
htoler

Post by htoler »

I do not recall stating anyone saying TenPoints were garbage..

it just caught me wrong that someone would try to say one bow is the best which is the best is all a matter of oppinion and everyone has one and none are right or wrong..

I did come accross an interesting post on huntingnet.com though
if the post is correct Excal is in partnership with Bear Archery working on guess what a compound crossbow,, they even give the reason for this.. which I had not herd a thing about compounds being better than recurve Xbows but I dont hang out in proshops so not sure what is being said.

I will agree that the Excals are the simplest ,, does that make them better to some I would say yes.. for others no..

The proshop where I bought my TenPoint carried both xbows and had them both in stock and the guy that runs the shop said he had hunted with both and that he could no reccomend one over the other that they were both great xbows the best on the market in his oppinion.

and that he could not say that one was more accurate than the other. which I hear claimed all the time. I think accuracy has more to do with the user not the bow. check out the post on hintingnet.com battle of the bows. should be interesting how it turns out

there is no doubt that Excal has the fastest xbow on the market but what a lot of dealers do not tell you and I have had it happen to me is that the Exomag is not leagal to use in many states because of it having a draw weight of over 200lbs..

eventually I will own an Excal along with my tenpoint that way I can say I own the best xbow on the market because I will have one of each,
will leave this post alone now this post just came accross wrong to me,,
the claim that excals were way cheaper and and way beter just dosent fly with me I have shot both and have priced both.. the excal is a little cheaper other than that in my opinion thay are on par with each other..
ExCalibur ExoCet 200
Tenpoint ProElite
Tom

Post by Tom »

htoler wrote:............... I did come accross an interesting post on huntingnet.com though if the post is correct Excal is in partnership with Bear Archery working on guess what a compound crossbow,, they even give the reason for this.. which I had not herd a thing about compounds being better than recurve Xbows .............
htoler excalibur a few years ago put out a compound crossbow in Canada. It was called the maxpoint I believe. Bear archery put out the same bow in the USA under another name, I think it was the paradox. I could have the names wrong, but they were the same bow.

If I remember BillT correctly he said that there was a market for compound crossbows (some people will always believe that you need wheels on a bow for it to be good) so he went that way with working with Bear Archery. A few years ago, BillT came on this forum and stated that he was going to just produce the recurve because of it's simplistic nature. He was going to build the best recurve that he could.

This information on these compounds were never a hiden factor, it was well known on here. There are still alot of people, forum members, that still like and shoot it. I still believe, even though it is an Excalibur product, that with it being a compound, I would recomend the recurve because of it being simplier with less moving parts and less of a chance of things going wrong.

Hope this helps explain.
Tom