Exocet vs Exomax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fox

Exocet vs Exomax

Post by Fox »

I am going to get a new crossbow and anything but Excalibur I have learned is just dumb. My question is regarding the difference between the Exocet 200 and Exomax, what makes people go to the exomax? Is it that much better, I have been leaning towards it as I am already going to spend that much money an extra $50 is no big deal. What do you guys think? I have read a lot of good things about both bows, I have no problem with weight as I hunt deer with a military mauser as well but is there any reasons to go either way?

Thanks
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Some areas have restrictions on the draw weight of crossbows. For example, nothing over 200 lbs. The max is nice but a brute to cock and may be over kill for the type of hunting you're doing? I have a max but I think if I were to buy a new bow today I would buy the exocet 200.

Both are good and I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

Partikle
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Exocet is a little easier on strings. Plenty big for deer.

Grey Owl
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

I have Exomax and I have shot also with Exocet. Exomax is an extreme object: maximum speed, maximum energy, very flat trajectory, noise like Exocet (just a very little bit more), tuning a little bit less easy (more speed=more instability), therefore a little bit more attenction in the correct arrow choice. Exomax produce more friction between string and riser and you have to change serving with more frequency compared with Exocet. Weight very similar.
Exomax 1" longer: if you are short you can have some arming problem.
Real performance? I tested both with my chronograph using 1989FF string:
EXOMAX: 430grs 20" carbon>325fps>100.8FTP
EXOCET:430grs 20" carbon>301fps>86.5FTP
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Have been shooting the Exocet 200 for a year now there is no animal on this continent that this bow would not take. The ExoMax is overkill, harder to cock, and unload and it is harder on strings.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

I shot a 150# bow for 21 years then moved up to a Excal. 175# exocet. I liked the extra speed. This year I bought an exocet 200 more speed but more ass is needed to to pull it back. I do take a few 2nd shots every year and I know don't think I'd feel as safe pulling anything over 200#er while on stand unless I had the ass to do so which I don't. :) For all the deer I've shot I don't see where anything over 175#'s would have been needed. But as I said I like the extra speed.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

O/T ....so deleted by Comfybear. :wink:
Last edited by ComfyBear on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Fox

Post by Fox »

I do plan on hunting with it for moose and bear in the future, this is why I was shifting to the exomax. I have never hunted from a tree stand with my crossbow and I just picked up a vertical bow to use for that. From those who draw both the exocet 200 and exomax how big of a difference does the 25 lbs really make, I am 5' 11" would I have a problem drawing with the cocking string?

Thanks, I have looked into them but I want some opinions from the guys who shoot them. I have shot the exocet 165 and wolverine but I wanted to step up, the only question is how much.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Exocet 200 is perfect for moose and bear.
Big John

Exmax

Post by Big John »

Fox:

Cocking the 200 lb. Exmag or the 225 lb. Exmax isn't "to much" difference really. But there is noticeable change for sure.
I shot forty or so shots on the weekend and didn't use a cocking aid.
I didn't wait long between shots either, maybe one minute, then go retrieve bolts, do it again. Felt great still monday morning.
The thing I'm liking most about the Exmax over the Exmag is the Speed and trajectory at 30 plus yds. Very nice. 8) As stated before, my shots will never exceed 35 yds. But dang they get there quick with the Max!

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Hi , if you ever plan to go in a 3D competition shoot you can not be over 300fps, i shoot the exocet 175# & it shoots a carbon bolt with a brass insert , about 298 fps. the new phenix is at 305fps but i think u could get it bellow 300 with brass in your arrows,also the exocet or the phenix is plenty enough power for deer , moose , bear. happy shooting.
gad

Post by gad »

With anyone you will be happy!
Just bought one of them and have fun. :D
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
supermagnum

Post by supermagnum »

I am 5' 9" and weigh about 168 lbs give or take a few. I owne the exocet 200, i can also cock the exomax with the stringing device with no problem and i do have some shoulder issues, i do not see it being a problem for you :D
HUNT HARD, HUNT SAFE!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I bought an ExoMax last year, and got quite comfortable with it. It shot like a dream ~ even killed a blacktail with it, but at the time I had nothing to compare it to, as it was the 1st xbow I'd owned. Last December my Max was stolen, so I had to replace her... I decided that the Max was probably a "bit too much" bow for anything I needed to use it for. As was stated before, anything you want to hunt, you can kill it with an Exocet, that ~ plus the string wear I saw and the "extra cocking weight" of the Max, and the ability to take it to state that do have weight restrictions if I ever wanted to, I decided to replace my Max with a 'Cet! I have yet to actually sight it in correctly since she's so new, and the weather here hasn't been cooperating very well for me to have extra sunny days to properly "play" with it; but from the limited shooting I have done, I think i made a good decision...
All that being said ~ either way you go, you'll be happy :D

p.s. with the string cocking aid, you should have no trouble with either xbow...
-Hawkeye
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were inconvenienced"