Need info on X-bow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

freespirit

Need info on X-bow

Post by freespirit »

I am in the market to buy a crossbow for hunting.I would greatly appreciate any info anybody could give me on this topic.:D

I have no experience or knowledge of crossbows.:?
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

You came to the right site. Lots of guys here have experience with all kinds of crossbows and verrtical bows too. If you want a bow that is very low maintenance and shoots extreemly accurate the excalibur lineup is awesome.

What do you want the bow for, target shooting, hunting, or what?
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
freespirit

Post by freespirit »

I am looking to buy the X-bow for hunting whitetail in and around eastern ontario
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Any of the Excaliburs will do the trick. The Vixen is the lightest poundage bow (least powerful) and will kill any whitetail no problem. Most guys who know will tell you that the higher poundage bows just allows your bolt to be stuck into the dirt a bit father after it goes through the deer.With any bow you must practice and determine your own comfort level for shot distances, but most guys here like to keep the shots under 30 yards. Out beyond that distance, a deer may duck (jump) the arrow when it hears the sound of the release.

The excaliburs are great becuase you can change the string youself in about 20 seconds and the customer service is second to none. Being a recurve bow, they are a bit wider than a compound crossbow, but I personally think the simplicity of the recurve limbs are a huge asset.

If you have a bit of time to decide, stick around and read the posts. Lots of good info here besides just Excalibur bows.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
htoler

Post by htoler »

This question always starts a heated debate....
my advive would be to do a serch on the internet of the different brands and ask questions on different forums as well as this one (JMO) would say the top three would be Horton,, Excalibur,, TenPoint .. one you decide which ones you are interested in then the thing to do would be to get to a proshop that carries the ones you are interested in and get your hands on them see how they feel and shoot them you will know which one is right for you by getting your habd on them as to which one feels right.
you would do fine with any of these,, other than I would shy away fron the very low end Hortons,, I wont go into the other 2 causes too many problems one thing I will say is that there is a misconception that TenPoints are very expansive you can get a TenPoint Titan TL 4 package for $499.00... and Excaliburs are great xbows,, any of these three brands are known for being very accurate.. the Xbows are probably more accurate than we are.. as long as you get one with at least 150lb draw weight it shoul be plenty enough to take whitetail with..
Excal does make the fastest shooting Xbow on the market but would make sure that it is leagle to use where you will be hunting..
let us know which ones you are interested in and I am sure someone will be able to give you feedback on it based on expierance of using that particular one.. test out many and let us know which you get....
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Pssssssssst. get an Excalibur.... try the others... But you will see why alot of us push Excaliburs... when you do deside to get your Excalibur, go the extra little bit and put the Excalibur varizone scope on it , you will love it , they are such a sweeeet machine. thats just my 2 cents, but it could be worth a whole lot more. happy hunting.
htoler

Post by htoler »

Check out all the different brands and the features they offer since it was just recently posted you can read the post about broken limb and you will see why I like my crossbow and its safty features.. a dryfire can reak havoc on a crossbow not that it allways will..some have had dryfires and not hurt theirs. others have had to replace limbs..a dryfire in the field could end a hunt just as easy as a broken string could on a compound crossbow.. so if you are new to crossbows you may want to look at more than just being able to change your string ,, hopefully you will post this question on some of the other forums also.. like archerytalk ans huntingnet.com..

if you get any one of the top three I think you will be happy with it.. thats my .02 cents on that..
freespirit

Post by freespirit »

thanks to all of you who have responded. The info is greatly appreciated.
So far I have looked at the excaliber phoenix 175# draw.Htoler's post stated the possibility of a dry fire causing limb damage, is this only on recurve limbs
or can it damage compound type limbs also. Thanks again.
bails111

Post by bails111 »

Yep
on wheels(pulleys),cables, limbs the whole shoot'in match if your unlucky.
Play Safe
A.W

Post by A.W »

Keep in mind that Excalibur's service and warranty is second to none. You can even phone the owner (BillT) and speak to him (when he's not in Africa) Try that with some other campanies.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.