Bowfishing w/crossbow ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowking

Bowfishing w/crossbow ?

Post by xbowking »

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has done any bowfishing w/ a crossbow , if so how is the line spool attach to the crossbow, and is there bolt/arrow heads that are for fishing for crossbow bolts, iv seen them on vert. bow arrows ,but are they seperate??
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/fishing/fm ... ctions.pdf

I is legal to use a crossbow now!

A few years back the folks at Dover Rod & Gun would not allow me to use my crossbow to fish in thier annual bow fishing event !

Hench I assumed the regulations did not allow it .

Sorry for misleading you all !

Oneshot...........
Last edited by OneShot on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
TYE

Post by TYE »

OneShot wrote:Unfortunately it is illegal in Ontario to use a crossbow to bow fish! :cry: :cry: :cry: :? :?
Really? I thought it was allowed.... I know people who do it. :?
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

What kinds of people are you hanging around with Tye? :lol:
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Hmmmmm?? i wonder why it's illegal, i'll have to look into the regs.
Fox

Post by Fox »

I just read the regs and it says bow and arrow.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/pubs/fishi ... fr2006.pdf
(page 7)
Unless I am missing something a bow and arrow can be a crossbow and arrow.

If I am wrong please fill me in as to where the regs state anything else.
BOB VANDRISH

Bowfishingw/crossbow?

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

If a crossbow is considered a legal weapon during the regular archery season,then it would flow that the same regs apply to using it during the fishing seasons listed as open to bow and arrow.
We used to bow hunt carp in the shallow bays in the St Lawrence River,east of Cornwall,and never even gave it a second thought.
Mind you,that was back in the days when I was only using a compound bow,but still feel the crossbow would be considered legal.
Bob
Bob Vandrish.
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

TTT
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/fishing/fm ... ctions.pdf

The ruling for a crossbow is near the bottom !
TYE

Post by TYE »

ecoaster wrote:What kinds of people are you hanging around with Tye? :lol:
I don't hang out with him, just talk to him at school. We had english class together 2 years ago and we spent alot of time during class reading hunting magazines and books and talking about hunting. He's a real redneck, lol. :lol: They even nicknamed the guy "Boots"
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

From Bill T himself

Bill T
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:38 am Post subject: Ontario Crossbowfishing Update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got off the phone with the MNR in Peterborough and according to them there is NO difference between crossbows and vertical bows for bowfishing in Ontario, so they ARE legal to use. The gent there told me that they are also looking at increasing the seasons for bowfishing.
If anyone can get me names and offices of MNR employees that are spreading the rumor that it is not allowed to bowfish with crossbow I can have them set straight on this.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

OK now that its all legal to crossbow fish for carp , anyone now how you go about the set up for a crossbow to fish with it, like how the spool would attach to the crossbow, i would assume u would have to make a bracket like the quiver bracket and mount the spool or reel to it, interesting,.. now does any one know where a good spot for carp near Barrie/ Bradford / Innisfil ??
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Here's how a couple of guys did it...

Here is how you mount a fishing reel to an Excalibur quiver bracket!
Excalibur already makes what you need to mount your reel . Use 80 pound mono line and a Zebco 888 808 this gives you 140 feet of line drill 2 loles in the feet of the reel and bolt her down. When you shoot flip the bow upside down and reel her in.Never forget to press the relese or the shaft is gone.Have had years of fun with this. Also apside has done this also he can tell you it is a blast. Remember no open face reels. I have changed to muzzy heads and the shaft sliders they make them in2219 size they slide up and down theshaft line dosent pickup untill shaft has left the bow. String works like tale on kite It flys stright real mean You are going to love this......OCYRUS....PS you use your Quiver mount for your reel reel will be upsidedown when you fire but dosent matter reel is closed faced.This system seems to be perfect for this crossbow. Just another perfect design from BILL T.

For now how to rig your shafts. Get ay brand of fish arrow cut it at 20 inches get a piece of arrow shaft 2219 or 2213 wich ever fish arrow you get one of these will fit ,Should slide through easy.Now get an insert and superglue in rear not with hot melt! Cut hollow shaft at 21 inches as 1 inch is left on buisness end .Squirt superglue in shaft put fish arrow in arrow tube push home fast dont delay it sets fast. Air and extra glue will come out hole in rear.One minute later one piece shaft.Glue fish point on .Drill 1/8 inch hole in rear and in front-the same place on the shaft. Rear hole should be 2 inches from rear for clearance of fireing mech. crimp leader wire from front to back with small ring on it. Tie fish line to this ring .Ring and line stay in front of bow until shot. Press button on any zebco 202-404 808 Remember no fletch needed line works like a tale on a kite have shot 20 yards eazy .Must see to understand this; once you do this you are hooked for life.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
sidekick

Post by sidekick »

LoneWolf wrote:Here's how a couple of guys did it...

Must see to understand this; once you do this you are hooked for life.
Hey LoneWolf...got any pics?
[img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/KOhunter/EXCAL25.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/KOhunter/exocet20050.jpg[/img]
The two keys to a succesfull life-
"PASSION" and "COMPASSION" !!!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Sorry, I don't have pics of the set-up myself, sidekick. The guy who posted these intructions goes by the handle of OCURUS, he had pics posted but they are no longer there.

Aspide is another forum member from Italy who did this to his crossbow.

I haven't done it yet myself, but I'm thinking of getting it done. I think it would be fun to do.
Ontario Trophy Bucks