Trail cams?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

kendo kid

I heard a few good things about these two here.

I still haven't decided which one I'm gonna go with.

This is the Talon IR cam
http://www.mackspw.com/item.asp?im=REOR ... __Talon_IR*

Leaf River IR cam
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... stid=78270
Ontario Trophy Bucks
kendo kid

IR

Post by kendo kid »

Lone Wolf,
Thank you for the tip. Both camera set ups look good. I see on this thread Leaf River is getting good scores with their regular camera.

Does anyone else have either of these Infa Red cameras that can give some personal input to.

Lone Wolf, glad to hear you are a scrape hunter also. The nice 7 pointer I shot on Nov. 4 2005 was at a scrape. Two bucks (9 & 7) cruised in to the scrape. The 9 was more dominant and he took the trail leading to the scrape. However, the 7 pointer was traveling about 24 yards to the 9 pointers right (wing man). I had to take the 7 pointer as he was only 3 yards from my stand and the 9 pointer had not stepped into the shooting lane yet. What a rush at 3 yards. He was going to smell me sooner or later at that distance and so it was either him or me. He eats great.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

There's a website dedicated to scouting camera reviews called http://www.chasingame.com. They cover a bunch of models - excellent site.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

That site that was posted above is a good place to check reviews on cams.

I think terry1 has a Talon so maybe he can chime in here and give his thoughts on that make/madel.

Something to think about is that the Leaf River is a 4 megapixel and the Talon is a 1.3 megapixel. I like the fact that the Leaf River has that locking bar running accross the front if it. It might not 100% theft proof it but it will slow them down a bit. But you know how it is when a theif want to steal something, he'll figure out a way to do it.

Good Luck on your search...
Ontario Trophy Bucks
terry-1

Talon

Post by terry-1 »

I do have one of the first talons out I beleive the new ones have been updated. Its a good camera I like the camera itself better than the leafriver,but it did lack a good security locking system so I installed eyebolts to the talons case battery area which took about 10 minutes to do and reseal the holes with goop sealer. I now can mount and lock to a tree with a python locking cable not theif proof but better than nothing. One thing I don't under stand nor like about the leafriver IR cam is the leds light up for a long time when takeing a pic. The talon leds just flash on for a slit second making them more stealthy which is why I bught a IR in the first place. The new cuddeback IR thats do out in may will mostliky be the best IR cam on the market as it will be fast 1second to trigger and it looks to use a flash with IR cover instead of leads which seems to work alot better with homebrew IR cams. Clearer pics and also much harder to see the IR covered flash when taking a picture vs red lit leds on the leafriver and talon which can be seen very easy if you were looking at the cam when it takes a picture.
Last edited by terry-1 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoneWolf

Re: Talon

Post by LoneWolf »

terry-1 wrote:The new cuddeback IR thats do out in may will mostlieky be the best IR cam on the market as it will be fast 1second to trigger and it looks to use a flash with IR cover instead of leads which seems to work alot better with homebrew IR cams. Clearer pics and also much harder to see the IR covered flash when taking a picture vs red lit leds on the leafriver and talon which can be seen very easy if you were looking at the cam when it takes a picture.
terry-1

Thanks, I guess I'm gonna wait until Cuddeback's IR cam comes out in May. I'm glad I asked your opinion on IR cams.

Thanks again.... I appreciate your opinion...

LW
Ontario Trophy Bucks
terry-1

cuddeback

Post by terry-1 »

The cuddeback IR should sell very well their newer 3.0 cuddebacks have been improved from earier models working out alot of little issues making them one of the best commerical cams on the market. I have one and really like it battery life is great and trigger speed is really around one second. The new IR cam looks to use the new slave style flash that is being used on the newest 3.0 white flash cam that is coming out, but a IR cover is installed over the flash it looks like in the picture. I hope thats right and it is not using leds like all the other IR cams out there. The IR leds seem to make the pictures more grainy looking . My IR homebrew 380 using a slave flash with IR cover over it takes much better pictures than my recon or my best friends leafriver IR cams. Still the leafriver and recon talons work great for scouting which is my main use. I wish I had all IR cams I do beleive they get more pictures of bucks than my whiteflash cams do. I think the white flash does not spook most deer but they get tried of it going off every 3-5minutes at a feeder and leave faster than normal. To bad most all IR cams are $$$ to buy. I use several stealth WD1 and WD2 cams that sell for $155 they work pretty good just for scouting. Good battery life,fast trigger about 2 seconds,good flash also and I like the fact I can set them at 1,2,3,4,5 minutes and so on. My favortive deley time is about 3 minutes on feeders as 5 minutes you miss alot of deer that come in after the first deer triggers and 1 minutes is too much flashing. The WD1 and WD cam would be a super cams if it just took alittle clearer pictures. For some reason they have a blurr effect in the pictures they take like focus is alittle out. Not pictures to hang on the wall but good enough for scouting. Image