Question On Turkey's Vision.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

A.W

Question On Turkey's Vision.

Post by A.W »

If I walked into my spot with a red lensed flashlight would this spook the turkeys?
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I don't see why it would if you walked in at dark while they're still roosted.
Just don't go and sit at the bottom of a roost tree!... :wink:
Ontario Trophy Bucks
A.W

Post by A.W »

L.W. Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to try that spot close to where I found the remnants of the two turkeys last week. A bit tricky getting in there but lots of sign.

Knowing my luck I'll probably sit under the tree that the turkey does it's morning "constitutional".

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

They can see red...

I never use a flashlight when turkey hunting.

I don't even have one in my vest..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
wabi

Post by wabi »

My suggestion would be to get fairly close (300-500 yards) to the area then wait for enough light to be able to see to cover the final distance to where you want to set-up. If possible approach from a direction where your approach with the light will be shielded by the landscape (such as a ridge). I usually just wait for enough light to be able to see well enough to walk where I hunt, because I only have to travel a half mile or less.
wabi
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Sure a turkey see's red, it will also see a blue light.

It doesn't matter what color the flashlight is, the turkey is still gonna see it cause they see color...
Ontario Trophy Bucks
BUCKSHOT

A.W.

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Taken from http://turkeyzone.com/articles/michel8./htm
Vision

Vision scientist, Dr. Jay Neitz believes that birds see in trichromatic color like humans, and that many birds actually see four colors. He also believes that some birds see ultraviolet light as a different color than any of the three primary colors of red, yellow and blue seen by humans. Birds detect ultraviolet light in low light conditions that humans can't, especially birds that are night predators.

Because turkeys are a prey species their eyes are located on the sides of their heads, giving them a wide field of vision. But, because of their wide spaced eyes, turkeys sacrifice depth perception; they see very little in front of them with both eyes at the same time. As turkeys walk, their heads move back and forth, giving them two different angles of an object, which helps them determine the distance of the object. Because of their poor depth perception, turkeys have difficulty determining the relative size of objects
Enjoy the Harvest!
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

I walk in without a light of any type. I had a bird I put to bed and knew about where he was. Went the next morning and set up in the dark. Got too close and he saw me at light. Next time I went in a lot earlier and walked through a cut over trying to get behind him in the thicker stuff. It was still really, really dark out. He was in a different spot and when I got 100 yds from him he took off in the dark, flew and crash landed squawking a lot as he landed in another tree. He gobbled at light and flew and landed right where I had just walked through and went the other way. After dealing with this one I think their night vision is a lot better than we think.

BTW I used to breed parrots and we still have a few pet birds around. They see a lot more than we think. The post above on their ability to see light at the end of the spectrum is correct.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Turkeys are suppose to have 10 times the eyesight us humans have, and 5 times the hearing we do. This information comes from a professional turkey guide/hunter. Oh yeah, and also that they have the mind of an elephant. Meaning they don't forget.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
A.W

Post by A.W »

Thanks for the info guys. I'll ditch the light and walk in "brail".

bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

Their eyesight is damn good .I got busted this am. THE GOBBLER was about 15o yds away when I reached for my bow it either heard me or saw the movement.THAT PROVES you need to be in a blind or have some one calling for you.BUT it is more fun to remember yoyr screwups then your acomplishments.IF IT WAS THAT EASY IT WOULDNT BE FUN.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

There eyesight is as good as my wifes at Cabela's, and that's darn good. I have beaten them many times though. People just plain move too fast. They sees colors, have great hearing, and good for us, a poor lack of smell. But that could be beaten also. This is where scouting comes into play. Take a machete ( not sure of spelling ), and knock some of the briars and limbs down on your route to the roosting area. I have even raked some leaves before, for a silent approach. Flash lights, yep they see them, and like BigBird VA said, they see more than we think they see. I do use a light if I'm on Public land I'd rather spook a bird, than get shot again( I got sprayed once, and quit turkey hunting for about 7 years). Private land, a light is a no no. Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain