Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

here she is.. the muzzy MX-4

same price as the slicks for 3 of them
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

The link above gave the Muzzy 4 blade a failing grade. One of the issues was with poor arrow flight out of a well tuned bow.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

was that the old 4 blade style or the new mx4 one?
taxman

last year...

Post by taxman »

last year i shot 15 deer w/ mostly slick tricks out of my 10 pt. the farthest one went only 40 yards. most piled up in sight. ive been reading on othere sites that the blades on slick tricks may not be sharp. the batch of ST's that i got were fine--no honing necessary. i will be using ST's this year w/ my excalibur and hoyt.
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

i shoot muzzys 125gr off of my exomag and so far i am 1/1 with deer shot and recovered. just watch out when you pratice you can loose featheers really easy if you get them to close. i to thoguht about the 4 blade but why fix someting that works well for you. :D
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

your muzzys will bend and break and you will have fliers not so with Slicks. My % in reuseing my slicks are about 98% higher than with muzzy's and so far in the last 5 years no fliers.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Crazyfarmer,

I have shoot Thunderhead, both 125 and 100's out of my Exocet and they shoot great.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

After 29 whitetails, I have never had a muzzy bend or break. I think the slick trick is a fine head, but it did not fly well out of my phoenix. My max, they did. Now I also have an exocet 200, and have not shot them yet. I may try the G-5 montec, as they can be resharpened. I would love to shoot zwickey's, but have not heard of anyone shooting them. Out of my verticle bow, with some tinkering, they too could be extremely accurate. For the results I've gotten, I'm staying with muzzy's. Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Crazy Farmer---- the review i read was for the Muzzy MX-4 that you pictured. The tester said there was a major problem trying to get them to group.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

after 24 years of hunting with a crossbow, Ive tried to get muzzys to group, 1 out of 10 I'd give them a 7, wasp's do ok give them a 8.5, but nothing I have shot yet has come close to Slick Tricks in consistancy. Isn't that what you want for your confadence when taking a shot ? I don't even shoot at the same 1" mark with the next shot. I place 9 1" blue type squares on a target block and shoot are a different one each shot at 20,30 and 40 yards.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

It's funny how some of us can get the Muzzy's grouping well and others can't

With a bit of tinkering, I have no problem what so ever getting the 4 blade 130 gr Muzzy's to group the way I like out to 40 yards.

That said, I agree that the Slick Tricks are a great head and don't need tinkering to get them to group well. I shot my bull moose in 2004 with a 125 gr Slick Trick as well as a few deer with the 100 gr. But it was hard to get replacement blades here, so I went with the 4 blade Muzzy's and I'm happy with the way they shoot.
I've never tried them out of my compound yet, but out of my crossbows I have no problem.

I do wish that there was a dealer around here that sold the Slicks, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen anytime soon.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Wolf all you need to do is give Gary a call. I usualy order 2 packs at a time and they last me all season unless I shooting crop damage. I usualy get 14 to 16 deer out of 6.

Don't get me wrong I use muzzys for years and they cut great. But I was tired replacing them every time I shot a deer. Something about the thickness of the slick trick head. They just don't mess up very often unless I hit a rock after a pass through.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Wolf all you need to do is give Gary a call. I usualy order 2 packs at a time and they last me all season unless I shooting crop damage.
mdcrossbow,

Would he go out of his way to send a few packages to Ontario, Canada?... I've never really asked Gary himself if he'd do that. I was buying them off a forum member which we seem to have lost. Which is really too bad, cause he was a helluva great guy to deal with. He was a great guy period!... And he sure knew his stuff!...

I'll send him an email or like you say, it might be better to give him a call and see if he would send a few packages down this way for a Canadian boy. If he will do that, I'll certainly stock up on them. I really liked that head for the size of a hole, and the internal damage they would can inflict, big holes and lot's of blood!...

thanks
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Digger

Post by Digger »

You can order them from Archers Nook LW.

330 Slick Trick - 4 blade - 100 gr - 3 pack 26.95 23.85
331 Slick Trick repl blades 12.50 11.10
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity